ID:181982

Is anyone into street racing or mainly into cars? I'm planning on buying a Mitsubishi Gallant, either '00, '01, or the '02 model as my first car. I made a list of car upgrades and even organized them into 3 categories: Street Performance, Semi-Racing Performance, and Racing Performance. I'm just wondering if there's anyone out there that knows anything about tuning cars, maybe they can help me in my list and maybe can give me estimates on how much each part should/would cost. Oh yea, and if anyone knows where to go for good street races, that'd be great. =D
The two most important things on any street racing car are the muffler and the size of the fin on the back. The bigger the rims, the faster the car will go, and the louder the muffler is, the more horsepower you can get out of it. Brightly colored paint, such as yellow and lime-green, will enhance handling. Remove any seatbelts from the car as they add excess weight that will slow you down.

</sillysarcasm>

I pray you don't have a four banger if you want to make it speedy. Really if you want performance, spend the few grand it will cost to install a Turbocharger. If you don a Turbo and then don't deck out the looks of your car, you can go sleeper on people and make them lose bets. Don't think you can spend $50 on a dynaflow muffler and $15 on a cold air intake and start racing. I have a four-banger so I obviously don't race, but I have friends who have gone to jail for racing, so honestly it's probably not very wise. I also know (of) someone who hit a 5 year old child in the street and killed him instantly, and then hastily fled the scene and got arrested.

Have you thought about looking locally for a track? A lot of places will let you race legally on drag strips and whatnot - that is what I would recommend, especially if you're a beginner.

~Kujila
In response to Kujila
Lol. Seems you know little of car upgrades as the average street racer. =P I have written down well over 50 possible parts for tuning a car. I just want to learn as much as I can before I actually hit the streets, racing and losing. I'm pretty sure once I upgrade my parts and fine tune my car, I'd be in good shape.

There's a lot of newbies with money that flaunt expensive cars. Yea, they have a lot of power, but for what? All acceleration? They'd only win on a short strip, having to shift gears frequently. What I'd do is level out that power and turn majority of it into top speed so that you don't over-rev in 2nd gear. -_-

I know of an abandoned airport strip where there's cops there and you can race legally, but I want to go around and race other people as well.

For the other readers, if you know anything about street racing or cars in particular, please post. I want MOAR advice. D:

PS: I can show my list of performance upgrades to anyone who's willing to help me. ;)
First of all, street racing is illegal and as such probably shouldn't be discussed here.

Second of all, you're better of trying a forum like this one.
In response to Airjoe
Street racing isn't illegal. There are both legal AND illegal street races. It depends whether you have permission by police which they'd end up enclosing the area. And secondly, this is an off-topic forum. I'm pretty sure there's other BYONDers that are interested in this topic. =P
In response to Copnm
Copnm wrote:
Oh yea, and if anyone knows where to go for good street races, that'd be great

Big cities at night are likely to find more racers than the smaller ones and, barring that, country roads are probably the easiest to speed on with little traffic or police interference. The straighter the stretches the better, unless you have some Tokyo Drift action in mind, in which case I don't think you're looking at the right car.

Lol. Seems you know little of car upgrades as the average street racer.

I'm sure the people that are already out there betting money don't know "little," else they'd be out of money or they'd have stopped racing. If you're about to start racing, expect to have to deal with the fact that the people that started racing before you and are still racing are probably winning a good deal of their races, and for a good reason.
In response to Kuraudo
Kuraudo wrote:
The straighter the stretches the better, unless you have some Tokyo Drift action in mind, in which case I don't think you're looking at the right car.

I'm not really into drifting, I'm more into weaving through traffic whilst racing someone or taking on a coarse, racing someone.

Kuraudo wrote:
I'm sure the people that are already out there betting money don't know "little," else they'd be out of money or they'd have stopped racing. If you're about to start racing, expect to have to deal with the fact that the people that started racing before you and are still racing are probably winning a good deal of their races, and for a good reason.

There's people out there who do flaunt money around. They'd buy expensive cars and some of them actually don't know a lot of parts to upgrade or tweak. Everyone knows of adding Turbo, Cold Air Intake, an Exhaust System, Body Mods, and a low Suspension Kit; but there's more to it. I've seen some racers race with a crazy amount of torque, but don't know how to distribute it properly, leaving them over-revving in 1st and sometimes 2nd gear.
In response to Copnm
Copnm babbled:
I'm more into weaving through traffic whilst racing someone...

ah! so you *are* into the illegal stuff! :P

remind to slash your tires before you hurt someone - as a public service of course! :)
In response to digitalmouse
Lol. Doesn't necessarily have to be "illegal" street racing. ;) Can be a course with other drivers "helping" the cause. ;)
In response to Copnm
Stick with Need For Speed. Then the only people getting killed will be you, and you can just start over when you're done. Plus you won't waste as much money.
In response to Foomer
I'm into NFS, but racing in reality as well. My money will be well spent, as this will be a hobby. I doubt anyone will be getting killed. =P It'll be on courses -- at least at first. ;)
In response to Copnm
Copnm wrote:
at least at first. ;)

Someone take his license away. We don't need people dying for your hobby.

George Gough
In response to Copnm
Copnm wrote:
I'm into NFS, but racing in reality as well. My money will be well spent, as this will be a hobby. I doubt anyone will be getting killed. =P It'll be on courses -- at least at first. ;)

What bothers me most is that you seem to think it would be cool to race where you're not supposed to be racing. That's how you screw up your life. Have fun.
In response to KodeNerd
Lol. Can't take a joke. =P I'll be on enclosed courses with police patrolling the perimeter.
In response to Foomer
It may seem life threatening to you and a thrill to others. It's all in how you do it. You can be safe and still do it; all you have to do is follow safety procedures which some fail to follow. I don't find anything wrong with racing, especially on enclosed courses.

Thanks for your concern though. ;)
In response to Copnm
Its not about what it seems. Racing illegally is life threatening, for you and anyone along the way. Thats fact, not opinion. It doesn't matter how good of a driver YOU are, its more life threatening because others are bad drivers and panic -> Collision.
In response to Alathon
Copnm wrote:
It may seem life threatening to you and a thrill to others. It's all in how you do it. You can be safe and still do it; all you have to do is follow safety procedures which some fail to follow. I don't find anything wrong with racing, especially on enclosed courses.

Thanks for your concern though. ;)

Alathon wrote:
Its not about what it seems. Racing illegally is life threatening, for you and anyone along the way. Thats fact, not opinion. It doesn't matter how good of a driver YOU are, its more life threatening because others are bad drivers and panic -> Collision.

Like Alathon said, racing illegally (definition in this context being illegal street races, not illegal races on 'enclosed courses' or tracks) is provably dangerous. Trying to argue that fact is foolish for a plethora of reasons.
In response to Copnm
Copnm wrote:
I have written down well over 50 possible parts for tuning a car.

50!? Rich enough arent ya?

I just want to learn as much as I can before I actually hit the streets, racing and losing.

Last minute learning wont do much.

I'm pretty sure once I upgrade my parts and fine tune my car, I'd be in good shape.

Your car might be.

There's a lot of newbies with money that flaunt expensive cars. Yea, they have a lot of power, but for what? All acceleration? They'd only win on a short strip, having to shift gears frequently.

Seems alot like the one who made the topic lulz...

What I'd do is level out that power and turn majority of it into top speed so that you don't over-rev in 2nd gear.-_-

Eh what?

And a Galant aint much of a race car, your better of with a Hyundai... why? U should know.
In response to Copnm
Copnm wrote:
I doubt anyone will be getting killed. =P

Tell that to the family of the people that have died already. And dont dare say they coudnt drive well, much less coming from someone who doesent even have their first car.

Your comments are looking more and more like someone who shoudnt be thinking about racing, let alone actually doing it.

Racing takes knowledge of your car, great reflexes, physics and luck.
In response to Copnm
Copnm wrote:
It may seem life threatening to you and a thrill to others.

To racers it should be both.

It's all in how you do it.

To an extent.

You can be safe and still do it;

You can, true. But others arent or, are afraid of you and the unknown.

all you have to do is follow safety procedures which some fail to follow.

More judging? from you...wow. Id smack you if I could with that attitude.

I don't find anything wrong with racing, especially on enclosed courses.

Me neither everyone inside that 'course' knows the risks.
Page: 1 2 3