ID:273638

I'm looking to continue the storyline for the game i am coding. However, i need to make a mob walk onto a players screen that is only visible to the player viewing the storyline. Is it possible to do this? and how would it be done?
I would imagine there are a few ways that this can be done, but the best way I could imagine would be using the client screen.

A default map location and then pre-determined locations on the client screen filled with specific atoms. This way you wouldn't have to create a billion map locations, it would all be handled on the clients screen. There may be a better way to handle this though.
In response to CauTi0N
Wrong. The proper way to make something visible to only certain players is to use image objects (see: http://www.byond.com/members/?command=reference&path=image)
In response to Garthor
Garthor wrote:
Wrong. The proper way to make something visible to only certain players is to use image objects (see: http://www.byond.com/members/?command=reference&path=image)

Does image() properly handle the animations in .gif's? So essentially you could record an entire movie and then just show the image() to a client?
In response to CauTi0N
If you wanted to just show a large animated image to a client then you would use screen objects (or rather, one screen object). But that's not the question here.
In response to Garthor
I recognize that - I was trying to understand.
In response to Garthor
Garthor wrote:

Ok, so how would i make a mob walk from a certain position on the screen, and then stop in front of the user, and then walk off on command using this image() command then?
In response to Garthor
Images have very limited functionality, they're good if you want to display a quest mark over an NPC's head or something similar, but that's about it. Attempting to create a cut-scene with them would be a major pain. I'd recommend using "instanced" maps of the cut-scene area for each player.
In response to Falacy
Falacy wrote:
Images have very limited functionality, they're good if you want to display a quest mark over an NPC's head or something similar, but that's about it. Attempting to create a cut-scene with them would be a major pain. I'd recommend using "instanced" maps of the cut-scene area for each player.

you mean creating an area on the map the same as where the player is when the player initiates the cutscene, or something else?

This would be difficult to do, as there are multiple places that people can view the cutscene.
In response to SadKat Gaming
In precisely the same manner as you would without "this image() command", only you'd use image() first to attach an image to the mob.
In response to Garthor
To be honest, im not understanding much of this. I consider myself to be, well, not an amateur coder, but not exactly an expert either. And i have no idea what you mean. Sorry. I think i will just leave that section out for a little while.