ID:100661

Redundant
Applies to:Website

This feature has already been implemented, or is already achievable with existing methods.
1) The Classified Ads' threads tend to become cluttered with ineffective responses, which will more than likely end up as a flame war. To cut down on such proceedings, I recommend disabling replies to all Classified Ads threads, similar to Craigslist. This would compel the poster into creating a detailed ad along with contact information, only if he or she desires a response.

2) Implement a drop down box that includes the elements of 'paid' and 'unpaid'. This will be seen as a tag to the post: [PAID] Looking for an artist for Project X. This feature would cut down on the time spent shifting through countless ads looking to for paid work.
+
The problem is that the staff is so anal about what's said in response to an ad. The solution to the problem would (in the Classified Ads index section, where you view topics) to only list the opening post, so that discussion CAN be had.
I like this, a lot. Way better than what we have right now IMO.

Also as with what Moonlight Memento said, I have seen something as simple as someone asking for more details about X, to write a design document about X, or even a comment about X be deleted before.
I've had comments in the classified ads section deleted before. Unless you reply with "contact me at [email protected]" your post will probably be deleted. But the forum mods are incompetent when it comes to just about everything, so that's not really surprising.
To what moonlight said: There's really no need for discussion in classified ads. You're basically applying for a job, your info should be sent/discussed directly with the job poster.
Falacy, it's a forum, not viruslist... er, craigslist, discussion is why it's here.

And again, with my suggestion discussion in an ad wouldn't matter, so...
Oh and uh... learn what incompetant really means... please
Moonlight Memento wrote:

Yet again, stop telling me to learn what words mean when YOU are the one that doesn't have a clue. You can't even handle spelling it correctly...
Falacy wrote:
Moonlight Memento wrote:

Yet again, stop telling me to learn what words mean when YOU are the one that doesn't have a clue. You can't even handle spelling it correctly...

You spelled it just like that in your comment. So pulling the grammar nazi card and the "I'm always right you know nothing" card, because we've dealt that hand a few too many times.
Moonlight Memento wrote:
You spelled it just like that in your comment.

Uh, no, you spelled it incompetAnt.
Falacy wrote:
Moonlight Memento wrote:
You spelled it just like that in your comment.

Uh, no, you spelled it incompetAnt.
Which is how you had it in your comment, prior to you editing it.
Moonlight Memento wrote:

No, I edited my post to take out the public discussion. Even if I had misspelled it, Firefox would have underlined and corrected it for me.
Can we please return this discussion back to my suggestion? If you want to continue your argument, please refrain from doing it in the public. Bashing each others spelling or proper/improper use of a word accomplishes nothing here.

Moonlight Memento: I feel that discussion in the Classified Ads forum is not necessary. As Falacy has stated, asking one to contact him or her tends to be the replies that remain on this forum. The original post needs to include contact information, if someone has any question or is interested in applying for a position, that person can do it privately. We do not see the conversation between the two parties.
Falacy wrote:
Moonlight Memento wrote:

No, I edited my post to take out the public discussion. Even if I had misspelled it, Firefox would have underlined and corrected it for me.
Again, too bad I know you did misspell it.

@Rj: But again, if you had it my way, discussion wouldn't disrupt anything. Because EVERYONE wants to check their email or worse, an instant messenger program constantly.
Somebody please delete the argument comments.
OrangeWeapons wrote:
Somebody please delete the argument comments.
"Let's delete things contributing to the suggestion yeah that's right"
Moonlight Memento wrote:
But again, if you had it my way, discussion wouldn't disrupt anything. Because EVERYONE wants to check their email or worse, an instant messenger program constantly.

What are the benefits if we were to use your suggestions?

I made this request because I felt that the Classified Ads forum becomes cluttered with silly babble that would be better suited in a private environment. By allowing comments, you are welcoming arguments and questions that should be asked in private. As Falacy said, you are applying for a job; your interview should not be done through the forums. I also believe that by disabling comments, you will see an increase in the ad quality.

In response to your email comment, I am sure if one was looking for employees that they would be willing to check their email a few times a day. Heck, people most likely check their emails and social networking pages hourly.
Hourly? <_< I have a gmail tab open all the time but I rarely check it. I fail to see the point of these ads being on a forum, which is used for communication if all you can do is "plz email me plz".

And the way to increase ad quality is banning anime games, really. Oh, and I never turn on MSN anymore, like with ALL messenger programs, it lags like shit.</_>
Moonlight Memento wrote:
"Let's delete things contributing to the suggestion yeah that's right"

You claiming that a word was spelled incorrectly when it wasn't? You claiming that I don't know the meaning of the word when I do, but you don't? Me pointlessly counter arguing, even now, when its happened multiple times that you can't grasp basic concepts? I wouldn't exactly call any of that "contributing".

But again, if you had it my way, discussion wouldn't disrupt anything. Because EVERYONE wants to check their email or worse, an instant messenger program constantly.

You don't have to check an IM program constantly... it pops up/makes a noise/flashes when you receive a message. And you would have to check the BYOND website just as frequently as checking your email? Unless you're expecting notification from the pager. Which would be more of a hassle than any messenger.

I have a gmail tab open all the time but I rarely check it.

If you need to be alerted about new emails, there are methods... MSN alerts me when I receive one, Yahoo keeps a constant icon in the task bar until they are read. Though, if you actually plan on working with a team to create a BYOND project; I would hope you have a more efficient means of communication in the first place.

I fail to see the point of these ads being on a forum, which is used for communication if all you can do is "plz email me plz".

The point of posting it on the forums is to get the word out that you need help. That help isn't going to be delivered through the forums, so why should it even be discussed there?

And the way to increase ad quality is banning anime games, really.

"DO NOT make posts for projects which knowingly make use of another person's intellectual property without their permission."
They already are banned, the forum mods are just incompetent. Feel free to google it if you still don't know what it means. And use Firefox if you have such trouble spelling.

Oh, and I never turn on MSN anymore, like with ALL messenger programs, it lags like shit.

Sounds like your computer needs MAJOR upgrading. Or the removal of an army of viruses.
You don't have to check an IM program constantly... it pops up/makes a noise/flashes when you receive a message. And you would have to check the BYOND website just as frequently as checking your email? Unless you're expecting notification from the pager. Which would be more of a hassle than any messenger.
Which requires having it running. Which is just as bad.

They already are banned, the forum mods are just incompetent. Feel free to google it if you still don't know what it means. And use Firefox if you have such trouble spelling.
No, they aren't. You were probably banned for the thousandth time, but they said AGES ago they don't care about anime games being in the Classified Ads. Oh, and I when I spelled incompetent in that post I copy/pasted what you said to spite you.

Sounds like your computer needs MAJOR upgrading. Or the removal of an army of viruses.
2GB RAM / Pentium 4 should be able to run MSN without it being as laggy as a freeware MMO. Or worse, when MSN is cut off and it takes up 200MB RAM in the background.
Moonlight Memento wrote:
Which requires having it running. Which is just as bad.

Having what running? The pager?

No, they aren't. You were probably banned for the thousandth time, but they said AGES ago they don't care about anime games being in the Classified Ads.

When did they say this? The rule that I copied and pasted is still displayed when making a new topic in the classified ads. Either way, that entire statement you just made proves just how competent they really are (or more like aren't).

Oh, and I when I spelled incompetent in that post I copy/pasted what you said to spite you.

Well, on top of all your other fails, you've now proven yourself to be a liar.

Or worse, when MSN is cut off and it takes up 200MB RAM in the background.

Mine is only using ~2MB when running in the background. So I'll go with the virus reason. From what I know of you, you'd be the kind of person that would willingly install something called 'virus.exe', probably in an attempt to "spite" somebody else.
Page: 1 2