ID:133807

This has probably been suggested a ton of times before, but it would be nice if there were compile statistics available (total lines, files, bytes compiled into executable of size whatever). Not really a majorly important (or even useful) one but sometimes it's just nice to know exactly how many lines you've written or exactly how much code you've compiled (particularly since, when questioned about my main projects during my Cambridge University interview I was asked about the amount of code I had written and I had to give a figure which I now think is wildly inaccurate).
I would love that but it probably won't be high on the To-Do list.

George Gough
Also a total atom or variable count, to check if you have too much crap. I haven't reached any limits, but it'd be nice.
This is a good idea if it had a whole bunch of interesting statistics, it should be implemented separately from the 'regular' compile, of course, so it doesn't calculate the stats each time, which would probably be mostly useless, and increase compile time, which should be avoided as there is already a long compile time for some ri-uh... certain, projects, etc.
Since .dm source-code files are in plain text, there are a variety of ways already available to you - and most for free!

You can be lazy and use a third-party program like http://www.anycount.com/wordcounting_software/word_count/ txt_word_count.htm - or other like-minded freeware, which you can discover via your favorite search engine.

Alternatively, you could just write a little BYOND script/library/stand-alone program that you feed .dm files into, to provide the same functionality.
In response to digitalmouse
That is why I said it is not high on the to-do list or even on it. It would still be nice for it to be built into the compile/IDE.

George Gough
In response to digitalmouse
digitalmouse wrote:
Alternatively, you could just write a little BYOND script/library/stand-alone program that you feed .dm files into, to provide the same functionality.

You might want to develop this yourself, otherwise, think about where those .dm files are being sent to, if a untrustworthy programmer wanted to, they could simply save them on their hard drive.
Hazman wrote:
This has probably been suggested a ton of times before, but it would be nice if there were compile statistics available (total lines, files, bytes compiled into executable of size whatever).

I could probably do this for you, but what exactly did you mean by "bytes compiled into executable of size whatever"?
In response to Audeuro
The total size of the compiled code, in bytes, so it might be "50000 bytes compiled into executable of size 25000 bytes".

I could probably do it myself reasonably easily, it just seems like an IDE-esque thing to have. A lot of IDEs display the total number of lines of code compiled and some other stats, it would just be nice to get the same sort of thing in Dream Maker.

[EDIT] OK, I whipped up a Delphi app this morning which accepts DM files (.DM or .DME), parses them for local includes, and then basically sticks them together with the total line, file and byte count at the bottom.

http://members.byond.com/Hazman/files/DMExaminer.exe

Heh, I also just found out the code amount I gave at my interview was an underestimate by about 80k, so I'm happy now.
In response to Hazman
Hazman wrote:
http://members.byond.com/Hazman/files/DMExaminer.exe

Needs a) insert directory (searches for .dm/.dme/.dmm files in a directory), b) it needs to get .dmm files too (assuming BYOND inserts them raw without altering them) and c) it needs to allow you to select multiple files when adding files.

-- Data