ID:137983

1. How come there's no "find all" option in Find?

2. How come when I open Find/Replace, the text in the to find box isn't highlighted?

Z
While on the topic of the editor, it could really use an undo feature, word wrap (have to be careful with this one) and line numbers in the gutter. (It took me a while to stumble onto Ctrl-G to goto a line number. It wasn't in any of the documentation I had read.)

I can only imagine these have been requested before, but I did a search for these topics, but nothing turned up.
On 5/22/01 8:48 pm Zilal wrote:

2. How come when I open Find/Replace, the text in the to find box isn't highlighted?

Z

For that matter, is there any way to do a "find next" without brining up the Find/Replace dialog?
In response to Shadowdarke
I'm pretty sure mine has an undo feature. Either that, or the ctrl and z keys on my keyboard are unusually smart.

On 5/22/01 9:01 pm Shadowdarke wrote:
While on the topic of the editor, it could really use an undo feature, word wrap (have to be careful with this one) and line numbers in the gutter. (It took me a while to stumble onto Ctrl-G to goto a line number. It wasn't in any of the documentation I had read.)

I can only imagine these have been requested before, but I did a search for these topics, but nothing turned up.
In response to LexyBitch
On 5/22/01 9:57 pm LexyBitch wrote:
I'm pretty sure mine has an undo feature. Either that, or the ctrl and z keys on my keyboard are unusually smart.

Thanks, Lexy! Wish I had known that a week ago! :)
In response to Leftley
On 5/22/01 9:16 pm Leftley wrote:
On 5/22/01 8:48 pm Zilal wrote:

Because Find/Replace has it. You don't have to use the "replace" part if you don't want. Maybe we should rename it "Advanced Find" instead.

I can probably fix that. Find/Replace (Advanced Find) is modeless, so it handles the focus differently. You can just leave it up in the corner and edit text, unlike the regular Find (Bonehead Find).

For that matter, is there any way to do a "find next" without bringing up the Find/Replace dialog?

You can do CTRL+F, return, CTRL+F, return, etc. Is that good enough?
In response to Shadowdarke
On 5/22/01 9:59 pm Shadowdarke wrote:
On 5/22/01 9:57 pm LexyBitch wrote:

Thanks, Lexy! Wish I had known that a week ago! :)

On the subject of undo in the editor... It's always been a little flakey for me. Most of the time, it will correctly undo the last typing I did, but sometimes it will undo the last two/three/whatever lines of typing. Same with redo. Also, sometimes they will undo/redo a whole line of changes, other times character by character. Not a big deal but somewhat annoying at times. It's fairly consistently inconsistent, heh.
In response to Tom
On 5/22/01 10:10 pm Tom wrote:
Because Find/Replace has it. You don't have to use the "replace" part if you don't want. Maybe we should rename it "Advanced Find" instead.

This drives me nuts.

For that matter, is there any way to do a "find next" without bringing up the Find/Replace dialog?

You can do CTRL+F, return, CTRL+F, return, etc. Is that good enough?

This was one of my first ever BYOND bug reports, and I still consider it a bug. Drives Me Nuts. Every other programming-related thing I use has Ctrl-G do a find next and I keep getting a line number thing instead.
In response to Deadron
Every other programming-related thing I use has Ctrl-G do a find next and I keep getting a line number thing instead.

I like ctrl-G for Go to line, but I wouldn't mind seeing F3 used for Find Next (I've seen many a Windows program with this shortcut).
In response to Gughunter
On 5/23/01 12:02 pm Gughunter wrote:
Every other programming-related thing I use has Ctrl-G do a find next and I keep getting a line number thing instead.

I like ctrl-G for Go to line, but I wouldn't mind seeing F3 used for Find Next (I've seen many a Windows program with this shortcut).

Mmm hmm. I'm not much of a hardcore coder, so I've seen F3 a lot more often. Bottom line, though, a find next hotkey would be MUCH appreciated.
In response to Leftley
On 5/23/01 6:03 pm Leftley wrote:

Mmm hmm. I'm not much of a hardcore coder, so I've seen F3 a lot more often. Bottom line, though, a find next hotkey would be MUCH appreciated.

Will do.