ID:151546

Right now, I'm looking at my old design notes for a game of mine.

I've noticed the overworld is comprised of roughly 13 1000x1000 maps (only for the overworld, mind). Looking back on previous mistakes, and faults in my design (world.maxx/y is 1000, which makes all of my small 100x100 maps also 1000x1000, which is a large waste of space), as well as looking at a mostly blank map all of the time (which is demotivating), I need to find a better way to manage the maps.

I could segment it all off, but I still want it to be semi-seamless. I could use fancy-pants images to show other parts of the map, then layer each end of the map with turfs that teleport you to other maps when you step on them, but that's a lot more map work than I feel should be done. There has to be a middle ground, right? ..right?
You can leave it at 1000x1000 and put multiple smaller maps on the same z coordinate. For those which are 100x100, you could fit a 9x9 grid of them into a 1000x1000 area, and that leaves about 10 tiles between them, so you cannot see one map from the other.
In response to Loduwijk
Loduwijk wrote:
You can leave it at 1000x1000 and put multiple smaller maps on the same z coordinate. For those which are 100x100, you could fit a 9x9 grid of them into a 1000x1000 area, and that leaves about 10 tiles between them, so you cannot see one map from the other.

Well, that fixes the first two problems. But it's demotivating to see a nearly empty map in most cases - I tried filling up the map, then lost all that data due to a SVN revert (way to go, me), and was even more demotivated because of the hours spent working on said map. However, I don't think there are any real solutions to that besides not failing.
Thanks. I think I'll have to leave the maps 100x100 for designing initially, then move them over to a bigger map after they're finished.
In response to DivineTraveller
Why use a bigger map when you can't fill it at this point?
In response to EGUY
Well, I was planning it out. I figured the rough map size of the world would be 13 1000x1000 sets of maps, allowing for a relatively large amount of detail, while still keeping it manageable. Please note, this was quite some time ago, and I'm trying to pick the project up again, with a better approach this time, so it doesn't crash and burn again.
In response to DivineTraveller
I usually build my map up, increasing map size as i need it.