ID:156061

How do I use the SYNC_STEPS setting for animate_movement? I read a lot about it but its not clear.

I'd prefer if someone show me a working example please.
bump
I just want to know how to use this
In response to The Zee Man
It is quite a mystery. The reference didn't mention anything on how to use it. Look up BigAtom, maybe you'll be enlightened.
In response to Jemai1
Jemai1 wrote:
It is quite a mystery. The reference didn't mention anything on how to use it. Look up BigAtom, maybe you'll be enlightened.

"SYNC_STEPS is intended for objects that move in unison as part of a larger "conglomerate" object. You should set the movement animation to SYNC_STEPS on all but a single "head" object, which will serve as the leader when choosing pixel step sizes. If you do not use SYNC_STEPS, there are cases where the pixel offsets of objects may get out of sync during motion, causing the object to visually break up."

Set all your "parts" of the larger object to use SYNC_STEPS, and then leave the "head" object (usually the one that controls movement/interacts with the player) at the default setting.

However, oftentimes it's easier to make your object out of overlays (or just one big icon, now that BYOND supports it) and then use invisible objects to fill in the density. I believe that's how Big Atom does it now.
In response to DarkCampainger
DarkCampainger wrote:
Jemai1 wrote:

"SYNC_STEPS is intended for objects that move in unison as part of a larger "conglomerate" object. You should set the movement animation to SYNC_STEPS on all but a single "head" object, which will serve as the leader when choosing pixel step sizes. If you do not use SYNC_STEPS, there are cases where the pixel offsets of objects may get out of sync during motion, causing the object to visually break up."

We know what the reference says.

Set all your "parts" of the larger object to use SYNC_STEPS, and then leave the "head" object (usually the one that controls movement/interacts with the player) at the default setting.

That is what to do but how to do that is the question here.
In response to Jemai1
You use it like hoiw you would use the icon, icon_states, etc. variable - you define it:
object
multi_parts
animate_movement = SYNC_STEPS
// The children of this branch will have the animate_movement set to sync_step
mon1
icon='Mon1.dmi' // All mon1 parts will refer to this icon, its animate_movement is set to SYNC_STEPS already
part1/icon_state = "Etc"
In response to GhostAnime
Dude, we know how to set the variable.

To make SYNC_STEPS useful, how to make a "conglomerate" object and how to determine which is the "head" are questions that are left unanswered.
In response to Jemai1
Jemai1 wrote:
Dude, we know how to set the variable.

To make SYNC_STEPS useful, how to make a "conglomerate" object and how to determine which is the "head" are questions that are left unanswered.

They know exactly what we want to know. This forum is notorious for this. Most people here who know the answer will post useless responses to jerk you around. It's a power thing. Them having knowledge about something you don't makes them feel superior, so they want to milk that for all it's worth to make it seem like the answer is obvious to them but you are simply incapable of understanding, and they are innately better than you. If they give you a real answer and you immediately understand then that doesn't make them feel superior. Sad really, I consider it to be one of the main things holding Byond back. I am thankful to those who give real answers though, hopefully one of them will come along soon...
In response to Jemai1
Jemai1 wrote:

You don't need to do anything. The objects are coordinated via voodoo.
In response to Dragonn
My questions always get answered within a day or two.
In response to Jemai1
I will be a nice guy. They explained everything you need to know. SYNC_STEPS is used to make an object sync up with another. If you have a big object or something, comprised of many different objects, and you want it to walk around, just set each part(except for the main part, such as the mob, that will be the one walking around, like the "master".)'s animate_movement to SYNC_STEPS to make sure the big icon does not get thrown off and become visually unappealing.
In response to OrangeWeapons
Yea people have grudges against me here. Also I think nobody knows how to use this obscure feature.
In response to Albro1
I think he's asking, how do you make them all walk at the same time with this?
Since...setting SYNC_STEPS on something won't do it magically.
I've tried this- nope.
Do you mean looping through all the parts of the object and then making them move?