ID:1561434

(See the best response by Dariuc.)
Code:

Problem description:Recently when testing out my game. Whenever I walk around on the map some places cause the entire screen to go black. I've already tried looking for opacity turfs, and things of that nature. Anything that could cause this issue?

Check other things you can enter. (such as areas, turfs)
Especially if you have code pertaining to them.
Taken out anything that could haveve caused it to go black (Still goes black). Could it be because I'm using a PNG image as an icon instead of dmi?
Best response
Oh, yea that will do it. I was under the assumption that you had normal turfs.

If you want to use one large png as the "turf" for your game I think you need to have the default map type applied to your project. SIDE_MAP setting on world.map_format would cause you to see void tiles if you stray too far from the image.
So. I tried SIDE_MAP, TOP_DOWN, and even using the stage as a normal turf dmi. It still goes black whenever I run over that certain area. (I also cleared my cache on BYOND too) I forgot to mention this is a sidescroller so..
In response to Marcus55
Marcus55 wrote:
So. I tried SIDE_MAP, TOP_DOWN, and even using the stage as a normal turf dmi. It still goes black whenever I run over that certain area. (I also cleared my cache on BYOND too) I forgot to mention this is a sidescroller so..

Using anything but the default map setting will cause that error.
It is the default map setting though. Thats why I'm not sure why it occurs when walking over a specific place.
Bump?
It's a bit hard to pinpoint what your problem is, it seems as if you've done a bit of editting and tinkering to change the way turfs or objects would normally react.

Without knowing that anyone would be hard pressed to help you figure out the problem. Explain with a bit of detail exactly what you have going on and I may be able to help better.
Also just out of curiosity- but why are you using one large image?
Is there a reason you don't want to use the turfs/mapping?
I'm just a lazy person and didn't feel like splitting the stage into 32x32 tiles. It'd be really time consuming.
I would think if the image is large enough, once your outside of the 'rendering area', the client would decide that it doesn't need to be shown any more and hide it. This can be corrected by setting the bounds higher, but it causes increased overhead.

Everything has a price. :)
^^ Buildings and objects placed on maps that are rather large have also been blinking in and on on BYOND as well lately. It could be something unrelated to anything you did and deal with hardware issues.