ID:158903

Er, hi. I'm not entirely sure if this is where it should go, but I'm having difficulty understanding something in the Blue Book. Which as the title suggest, is Arguements! I've made a little notebook and was writing down all the definitions, and putting it in simple terms that even I can understand. But I just got to this part in the Blue Book.

"The parentheses after a procedure name are more than decorative. They can be used to define procedure parameters. This allows for providing additional information to the procedure. The information is stored in a variable, that is, a piece of memory with a name. To confuse matters, a programmer will often call such variables, which serve as the parameters to procedures, arguments. Why? Well, just for the sake of argument."

From what I understand, it seems like an arguement is a variable that has saved information on a procedure? I'm not entirely sure and I figured I should ask instead of just assuming things. I apologize if I put this in the wrong forum category, it just seemed like this is where this sort of things go.
An argument is like a variable that stays within a procedure. When you call that procedure, what you put in the parenthesis will transfer into variables within that procedure.

Example:
mob
Login()
Say("Hello, world!")
verb //Similar to procedures, but what is in their parentheses are prompted.
Say(t as text)
world<<"[name]: [t]"
//When you log in, Say() is called with the argument "Hello, world!" as 't'.
Addition(n1 as num, n2 as num) //Multiple arguments separated with commas, space is not necessary.
//"as num" prompts for a number only.
src<<AddUp(n1,n2) //Display the result of AddUp() to src. The order in which arguments are placed DOES matter. Just not in addition because of the commutative property.
proc/AddUp(first, second) //The AddUp procedure takes in 2 arguments.
return first+second //Return value(result) is the first + second argument.
In response to Kaiochao
Ah, I think I get it now. I wasn't expecting a response quite so fast! Really helped though, thank you.