ID:164367

Hmn.. I'm not currently developing a game that needs this, But it played on my mind and may be used by me in future if possibe, I was wondering about ''Unique maps'' That .. Lets say for an example to keep things as clear and easier to understand as possible, The same map, On the same diamaters, Not placing a copy of the same map 100 times on the map system and coding who goes where and if this is taken ect ect. I wanted to know if it was possible to make it so everyone goes to a unique map of there own where they see no one else, It would be an intresting concept if they could. - Keiron.
And overly complex for something so simple. You simply want players to go to their own maps, and that map is the same as the others, no? Simply add the player's icon to their own screen via the client.screen variable. They can still appear to themselves to more around, but they're on one map, and can't see or interact with eachother.
This is very possible. All you need to do is take care of dynamic map allocation for each separate player when needed (ie. going to a dungeon) if you want unique terrain for everyone, and then getting rid of it when they exit it. A very handy library for this type of functionality is Lummox JR's SwapMaps library. It handles the map loading itself and has many more functions in the documentation. There are also other libraries available and can be found by searching the developer resources.
In response to Popisfizzy
Popisfizzy wrote:
And overly complex for something so simple. You simply want players to go to their own maps, and that map is the same as the others, no? Simply add the player's icon to their own screen via the client.screen variable. They can still appear to themselves to more around, but they're on one map, and can't see or interact with eachother.

That's assuming the map is totally non-interactive, like an overworld map for an RPG or something. Then making the players invisible and non-dense would work. But if they can interact with the map, it'd be pretty weird to see things happening on the map without any visible cause. In that case, look into SwapMaps.
In response to Foomer
Thanks guys ^_^ it'll be an intresting read and concept to see how it's done, I've heared of swap maps before but never read to much into it not knowing what exactly it was. But yeah, Thats great. Thanks ^_^
In response to Keiron
Or you could use my map loading program, pif_MapLoader

</shameless plug>