ID:181327

Hello. My name is slightly above average knowledge of computers. I'd like some help with hosting a game that lags no matter how fine the computer or internet connection.

The Specifications that Matter :
i7 920 2.8GHz Quad Core
Verizon Fiber 25 MB Up and Down.

Obviously it occurs to me that throttling could be an issue, but I have checked, and Verizon is NOT trying to screw me out of my money. I am legitimately getting all my moneys worth for my connection.

As I host this game that shall remain nameless (it's a popular game and I'd prefer not to be bashed for hosting a game that looks very much like it), my task manager reveals to me that I never go over 25% CPU on DD with Dream Seeker going at the same time.

I'd like to know why I can't reach past (theoretical number reached based on current latency/delay issues) 55 players without jumping around the screen.

Is it possible that a game could be developed using byond software, that has too many elements and would lag no matter the host? Similarly is it possible that a game could be too inefficient and be using 100x to do something that it only needs 4x to do with a better calculation? One more, is there a limit to the byond setup as a whole such as being limited to hosting a certain amount of players on a server? I'm not sure if it's possible but could a game have too many calculations going on per player that it would be forced to start a delay in order to catch up after reaching a certain amount of players?

(As I said before I'm limited in my knowledge of computers so ignore anything that sounds like gibberish and looks like gibberish because it probably is)

If you need any other information, I'll be happy to post it. [Short of things like my street address]

Much appreciated.

Something else occurred to me. The most intensive thing I'm doing on the side while hosting is scrolling through browsers, playing the game itself, and listening to music.
It is quite possible the game is terribly programmed. By quite possible, I mean more than likely.
The reason it never goes above 25% usage is because BYOND can't make use of multi-core processing, so your quad-core is useless when hosting a single game. But, whatever game your are hosting really shouldn't be using 100% CPU usage on one of your cores-- its probably due to a poor programming which has already been stated.
55 players... I guess GOA either Bleach: Las Noches. One of them is pretty badly done. I won't tell which, don't want to start rage thread.