ID:181729

I honestly think the BYOND Staff should go through all the BYOND keys to see which have been active over the last year or so. If they aren't delete there account, and if so leave it.

If this isn't addressed soon, peoples keys are going to start looking like this "thfg89034ht" and yeah... That would make BYOND so fun!... Not..

Just saying that this would be more efficient, due to people making 50 keys per one person, sooner or later the amount of combinations will be used up.

I think BYOND Staff should do this check about every 5-6 years. Maybe less or longer, whatever they decide.
Dibs on Dan when it goes inactive.
So what about that guy who had a really old key, was famous, still has stuff up on the hub, etc etc, who has his key deleted? It means anyone can impersonate them, and probably screw things up in that fashion. It's been said before. It may be old, but it's still relevant.
[edit] I call dibs on F34R and SSGX when they're inactive for a year. That'll create some epic comedy.
In response to DivineTraveller
Lol, but still points towards the fact that some time peoples keys will be like "dfjh3489r3" just to make a key, which will lead to loss of BYOND Members, and Players.
In response to Gizhy
Gizhy wrote:
Lol, but still points towards the fact that some time peoples keys will be like "dfjh3489r3" just to make a key, which will lead to loss of BYOND Members, and Players.

That's not entirely true. For every letter you add to the key, the combinations become exponentially larger. Pretty much anything with a high userbase can vouch for this (aka gamefaqs, youtube, etc), so your point is pretty much invalid.
Well, isn't there another way to determine a player's identity other then a key? I know IP addresses change, but isn't there another way? I understand how many things would go wrong, but isn't there a way for BYOND Staff to change a way to determine who someone is other then there key.
In response to Gizhy
There probably is, but by now, your idea has been shot down, so all the things that go with it are unnecessary.
Maybe keys just logged in once or less than five times or something.
In response to Gizhy
Gizhy wrote:
Well, isn't there another way to determine a player's identity other then a key? I know IP addresses change, but isn't there another way? I understand how many things would go wrong, but isn't there a way for BYOND Staff to change a way to determine who someone is other then there key.

No. Fingerprinting and retinal scans are not yet common features for online communities, and requiring them would likely cause BYOND to lose more members than making people stick a few numbers at the end of their name.

I don't know of any large-scale system that destroys IDs in this way, except maybe battle.net.
In response to DarkCampainger
DarkCampainger wrote:
I don't know of any large-scale system that destroys IDs in this way, except maybe battle.net.

Come to think about it, I can't really think of anyone else who deletes user accounts. Now that WoW accounts are linked to battle.net I'm not even sure they'll be deleting them anymore.
So you don't know a simple logical way to do as I said?
In response to Gizhy
The way you're suggesting is inane at best. You're seeing the near future, but not the distant one, as I've stated.
Well, just to say, if BYOND is going to be on the internet for a long time. One day it'll just sneak up on the community.
In response to Gizhy
Gamefaqs started in 1996 and it's still going strong.
Hmm, that site is pretty interesting.
There are 26 letters in the alphabet.

Assume all keys are 8 characters long.

There are then 26**8 different keys possible using only alphabetic characters. That is, 208827064576 keys.

Assume everyone makes 50 keys for themselves.

That keyspace will accommodate 4176541291 people.

Admittedly, that includes keys like "eaeaeaea" and "skghsktuy", but the general point is that there are a lot of potential keys, even if you restrict them to things that sound meaningful.

And that's with only 8-character keys. If you allow a wider range - say, 3-14 (Not sure what the actual limit is), and then allow maybe one number, the number of keys gets event larger. We won't run out of keys any time soon.
That would cause all sorts of problems with the system. I would count on it never happening. And realistically, we're not going to run out of key names anytime soon. Sure, common real names like Joe, Steve and Fred are going to be taken, as are common and cliche key names like ShadowSlayer, DoomLord and BladeMaster. But anyone who attempts to give themselves a unique key name, such as the randomly generated Atoru, Uceri and Claug (all still available) won't have any trouble creating a key.

God forbid we should get stuck with a Claug2.
In response to Gizhy
Gizhy wrote:

yes, after all, look at youtube- their naming system has not been purged of old names, so now people have been forced to often take names including many numbers for the sake of getting their desired name

and you know what happened? youtube is a barren wasteland. nobody ever visits there because the names with many numbers attached turns them away. the actual content of the site doesn't matter; the names scared people off and now youtube only gets like 2 hits a day, certainly not the millions that it'd get if they constantly purged their name database.
In response to Zaole
YouTube sucks because Google's been shoving their name all over everything, and lack of ANY WAY to contact them contributes quite a bit, aswell.
In response to Zaole
Lol, your funny :)

But as I was saying it's just a theory, so don't think to in to it now, it's just a suggestions with a theory within it.