In response to Kujila
meh- i was hoping to give this a try too, just to see how Linux support faired, but i *still* cannot register an account due to the friggin' stupid verification system. i have no credit card (thank the gods), and my mobile service is 'not available' in the drop down box after i select the country i'm in (Germany). haven't these people heard of Europe???
In response to digitalmouse
You don't even have a paypal account? I don't have a credit card, but I have a Debit card from my bank account.
It didn't go international until late last year

~Kujila
In response to Kujila
it didn't go very international then, did it? i mean Germany, Netherlands, and Denmark make up a HUGE portion of Europe's online gaming community, and there appears to be no support for such gamers from that region who neither have credit cards, nor have a phone from the US/UK.

oh and here's their response to my email:

"Thanks for your email.
As the SMS registration system is currently being tested, it is
compatible with only a few mobile phone providers. If you cannot see
your own mobile phone provider in the list, it means that you cannot
register using this method for now, as none of the cell phone operators
involved in this identification system operate in your area. The only
other registration method available at this time is the credit card."

quite bogus, and a severly screwed up authentication system.
They don't want 12 year old running amok on the main grid, 12 year olds wandering into mature areas, and then 40 year old mothers making lawsuits against them.

~Kujila
In response to Scoobert
i do have a paypal account, since i have a bank account. and what does that have to do with Second Life registration anyway?
I just used a bank debit card to verify, just typed that info in on the credit card page.

~Kujila
I was almost sure that you could use a paypal account to regester for SL.
In response to Scoobert
I'm not sure, I heard they took it out because people were getting on the main grid underage

~Kujila
digitalmouse wrote:
i have no credit card (thank the gods)

I got a Visa debit card recently for this purpose - it works exactly like a credit card except that there's no overdraft facility attached, so you can't get in debt. It just draws money from your bank account. You still need to be of age (18 in Australia) to get one, and it works anywhere Visa is accepted. Quite handy.

I don't know whether or not they have them in Germany, but it's gotta be worth checking out.
In response to Crispy
i'm sure they do, thanks for the tip. but getting one of those probably means VISA spam mail/email. :(
Not for me. I never got credit card spam untill I checked up on a credit account for BestBuy, now I am getting offers constantly. Also, those credit card spam letters have an opt-out letter, not sure how well it works, but I plan on using it.
I've never got any credit-card-related or Visa-related advertising at all. Ever. So I wouldn't be too worried, unless Germany has a high rate of Visa spam.

I guess nobody thinks that Australians are worth marketing credit cards to. =P
Page: 1 2 3 4 5