ID:186333

I get horribly confused every time I open up a 3D graphics design kit, and the tutorials online are complete crap.

Could any of you give me some tips on 3D graphics design:

What things should I learn to do first and what is their order?

Like, 90% of the things in the program, I don't know what the terms mean, for one, could someone tell me what some of the more important terms they use in there mean?

Also, when making a 3D thing, how do I start out the object? Would I make like, a sphere, and then edit that? Or is there a better way?

For maps, would I use the exact same program to make them?

When making something, what is the best way to rotate it and such? I've found that whenever I am trying to edit the object, it's always in some position that I can't seem to edit it correctly in.

Thanks to anybody that answers my questions... I may have some more later.
Well, http://www.lightwave3d.com has tons of tutorials. They're all only for lightwave though. :P
In response to Kujila
Thanks, that should do :)
In response to Kujila
Ya, I have been telling myself I am going to read that... but so far...ya.
In response to Kunark
I made a red cube with ROUNDED EDGES

+5 HP

~Kujila
In response to Kujila
Kujila wrote:
I made a red cube with ROUNDED EDGES

+5 HP

~Kujila

I made a sqaure

+5 to Axe of Doom
In high school, I took an extra semester of computer graphics and there had been no previous example of a curriculum for myself to follow. I was given the unique opportunity of making my own. Basically, learning what aspects of computer graphics that I wanted to learn. I partially goofed off with 3d modeling, and the rest was advanced skin mapping for 3d objects. It seemed like a good idea because our class was frequently alowed "personal enrichment time", in which a lot of counterstrike was played. I ended up using classmates, and even the teacher for subjects of one skin set.

To get back on topic! Anyways, for the 3d portion of my self-design curriculum, I chose to attempt a 3d counterstrike model. I had to research this myself, as it seems you are trying to do. And I easily found a graphical tutorial on how to make a female 3d model for counterstrike, as well as the accompanying skin. I'm sure this did not cover all concepts of 3d design, by far, but it did prove valuable in at least teaching me a thing or two. I'm sure you could find something similar if you don't play counterstrike.