I'd say PSP 10 fold.

~C
In response to Wizkidd0123
Wizkidd0123 wrote:
Mike H wrote:
It's a music lover's dream, being able to carry your entire collection around with you.

A CD can carry about 200 mp3s on it, and a discman costs aboput $290.00 less than an iPod. Unless you're going to listen to more than 200 mp3s at a time, then a discman can really make sense!

Been there, done that. Won't ever go back.

I had a second generation MP3-CD player for almost 3 years before I got my iPod. It was a great step up from standard CDs, but I hated having to pick and choose what songs I might want to listen to for the day. And to make things worse, I had to go through all the hassle of burning a CD each time I wanted a different set of songs.

Do I know at the beginning of the day (or week) that I'll be in the mood for a little Miles Davis on the way home? No. Then it's just too bad when I get that urge but all I have is the CD I made of Joe Satriani. Doh! Or maybe something reminds me of my college years and suddenly I decide to randomize a playlist of my favorite 5 albums from that time in my life. And of course, there's the obvious example of just wanting to randomize my entire collection. Can't do that with just 200 songs.

Nothing gives you the instant flexibility of the iPod or similar products (Dell DJ, Nomad, etc). Your entire music library in the palm of your hand. No fussing about what you think you might want to listen to in 12 hours - just go wherever the flow of the music takes you, get lost in the moment.

Like I said, it's a music lover's dream. For the casual listener, it's a steep price to pay for questionable overall benefit. I do believe that most people, once they experience the flexibility, won't want to go back. But I also think that 90% or more are just casual listeners who could live without it.

I'm a music lover and I can't live without it.<nobr></Music-aholics Anonymous></nobr>
In response to Mike H
Mike H wrote:
I had a second generation MP3-CD player for almost 3 years before I got my iPod.

I had one of those in High School. The only thing I miss about it is the ability to play a standard music CD in it. I'm not a fan of the wait between buying a CD and listening to it (especially when I'm holding a music player in my hand).
I'm hoping that music stores will adopt a system where you can buy it and rip it to your MP3 player at a second counter, but I've got a feeling I wont see that happen anytime soon.
I guess the idea of buying a CD and going to an internet Cafe and ripping it there isn't that bad, but I'm not sure if they would allow it.
I could buy music online, but I'm not to happy with the idea of not having a phsyical copy.

It was a great step up from standard CDs, but I hated having to pick and choose what songs I might want to listen to for the day.

I just carried a CD wallet (it wasn't a problem since I was in school I always had my bag). I was actually a little surprized that I could remember the locations of albums (and specific tracks) so easily.
Although my collection was nowhere near as large as I picture yours to be.
Wizkidd0123 wrote:
One might also say that an iPod is smaller, which, again, is true, but that alone can't possibly be worth your $290.

I would have probably agreed with you before I got a mini, but now I'd have to say I'm leaning towards saying that it is worth the money just for that.
I can listen to my mini handsfree anywhere (with the exception of places like underwater, which may lead to some sort of Aqua-mini).

Not to mention that it looks cool. It's like some alien device out of a Sci-fi movie. It's an odd looking rock that's operated by sliding your finger around that holds insane amounts of data. If the SG-1 team discovered it they'd assume it was Ancient technology. =P
In response to DarkView
DarkView wrote:
I can listen to my mini handsfree anywhere (with the exception of places like underwater, which may lead to some sort of Aqua-mini).

Discmen come with belt clips.

Not to mention that it looks cool. It's like some alien device out of a Sci-fi movie. It's an odd looking rock that's operated by sliding your finger around that holds insane amounts of data. If the SG-1 team discovered it they'd assume it was Ancient technology. =P

I hope that its "cool" looks were worth all the money. =P
In response to Mike H
All good points, Mike! I understand your viewpoint now! =)

Mike H wrote:
But I also think that 90% or more are just casual listeners who could live without it.

Exactly. Although there are some who could really benefit from an iPod over a discman, making up for the staggering price difference, I would put them in an extreme minority. I would change that "90%" to a "98%".
Wizkidd0123 wrote:
Discmen come with belt clips.

And jump. Also a discman belt clip has nothing on an iPod armband (or even an iPod belt clip). The size difference is enough that you can run without constantly slamming it on yourself.
If you run with a discman on a belt clip you'll most likily knock it open and drop the CD. They're simply too big to clip on to a belt.

Discmen are good, but you can't really put them up next a lot of the modern MP3 Players.
It's important to note, I resisted the MP3 Player revolution for quite a while. I copped crap off people with MP3 Players (with 20 minute battery life, 16MB memory cards and a $500 price tag) for a long time because I went with smart instead of the trendy.
I do know the benifits of a good MP3 CD-player and they used to outclass MP3 Players easily, but now they've only got the pricetag advantage, the CD advantage and AA battery advantage (which isn't really an advantage when you think about it).

I hope that its "cool" looks were worth all the money. =P

Of course not, but combined with the rest of the great features it was.
In response to Mike H
Not to mention that iPods also organize your music collection. It's fun trying to sift through 200 songs on an mp3 cd to find the one you want to listen to though.
[edit] and CDs skip [/edit]
In response to Ebonshadow
Let me just clear something up with the PSP.

Yes it uses UMD disks, for their standard movies, music and games.

but the Sony PSP is also compatable with a number of Sonys new memory duo sticks, which range anywhere from 32MB to 2GB. The memory sticks are fairly cheap now also.

With the Duo Stick you can upload and carry around almost anything, you can also watch many different forms of media, or music files, or even picture files.

Not to mention the developer aspect of it is very intresting, it wont be long before people have ported emulators to it, and even figured out how to pirate the games.

I am farly certian we might even be able to get PS1 games to work with them, I was reading in a article that the offical PSP Developers kit comes with hardware, that links you PSP up to the PS2, and reads the DVD disks like normal UMD disks. It might simply be finding a way to first get the PS1 disks on the PSP and then running them.

that in itself can offer alot of possibilites.

I saw my K-Mart selling just the PSP Hardware, with a 32MB Duo Card, a USB Port and charger for $230.00

I just may blow my entire check and buy one... maybe.
In response to Airjoe
i've never had a problem with battery life and i've had mine for about a year now.

I've never had a problem with my Dell DJ.

i bet someone has had a problem with a Dell DJ. but you probably still like it, because you don't have those problems. some people may have problems with iPods, but i don't. in fact, most don't. just because a small percentage of the users have had bad experiences with the product, that doesn't mean its bad. lots of people die in car crashes, but i don't hate cars because of it.
My Choice would be the PSP. Like come on, its a playstation as a portable.
In response to Shades
Shades wrote:
With the Duo Stick you can upload and carry around almost anything, you can also watch many different forms of media, or music files, or even picture files.

Music and picture, perhaps, but the legal movies will be released on UMD. I mean, I suppose that you can use the PSP to watch home movies, or perhaps public domain movies, but you aren't going to find a legal copy of say, Spiderman 2 being released for use on a memory card.
In response to DarkView
DarkView wrote:
Also a discman belt clip has nothing on an iPod armband (or even an iPod belt clip). The size difference is enough that you can run without constantly slamming it on yourself.

If you run with a discman on a belt clip you'll most likily knock it open and drop the CD. They're simply too big to clip on to a belt.

They're only 3 square inches bigger than an iPod (Yes: I measured it). I know plenty of people on the track team who run with discmen, and I haven't heard any complaints at all! With a good belt clip, the discman won't slam against the leg.
In response to Ebonshadow
Ebonshadow wrote:
Not to mention that iPods also organize your music collection. It's fun trying to sift through 200 songs on an mp3 cd to find the one you want to listen to though.

Agreed.

[edit] and CDs skip [/edit]

Where have you been for the last ten years? For a long time now, discmen have had a feature which "memorizes" the next [x] seconds of the song so that when it would normally jump, it can just go to the "memorized" portion and run smoothly. Until about 2000, [x] has been increasing, and now, any discman worth its salt won't skip.
My brother bought a Sony Hi-Fi for about £150 (~$300) last year, and put it on the chest of drawers in his room. Now everytime he shuts a draw (without being careful) it skips :-P.
In response to Hazman
Hazman wrote:
My brother bought a Sony Hi-Fi for about £150 (~$300) last year, and put it on the chest of drawers in his room. Now everytime he shuts a draw (without being careful) it skips :-P.

Well, in 2000, I bought a $20.00 discman (can't rmemeber the brand off the top of my head), and I've never heard it skip. =P
Wizkidd0123 wrote:
Shades wrote:

Music and picture, perhaps, but the legal movies will be released on UMD. I mean, I suppose that you can use the PSP to watch home movies, or perhaps public domain movies, but you aren't going to find a legal copy of say, Spiderman 2 being released for use on a memory card.

Legal, haha, that makes me giggle.

You can already get a media converter for PC that convets and sends the data to your duo stick, through the usb port and your PSP.

And considering I got my entire collection of DVDs on my computer HD, I dont need to worry about buying UMD movies. =P

Oh yeah, I put a new Sony PSP on lay-a-way at my local Kmart today. total was $264.00, comes with a (I think leather) carrying case, a 32MB Duo Stick, head phones with a UMD movie player/music controller on it and spider man 2 movie and of course, the hardware.

I got 8 weeks to pay it off, and I already put $100.00 on it, I figured that in 2 or 3 weeks, there will be games out that I want to play, other then DarkStalkers.

Oh and I just read there IS a new Final Fantasy 7 game comeing out for the PSP, PS2 and get this, moblie phones. Its going to be a action rpg... I dunno if I like the idea of that.
Wizkidd0123 wrote:
Until about 2000, [x] has been increasing, and now, any discman worth its salt won't skip.

Very true.
We used to have contests in school to see who's CD player had the best CD player. There were two "contests", actually. Who's could play a scratched CD, and who could take the most impact. I won the impact. I dropped mine from a little over 4 feet onto concrete, and it kept playing.

Sony's Psyc.

I'm not taking the chance of dropping my DJ :-P
The problem with a discman is that it skips around if you shake it, you have to change out cds if you want to listen to something else, and you have to carry other cds around to be able to go with your full taste, unless you only listen to certain types of music and can fill those all on one cd. I find that mp3 players are a lot more convenient and reliable than portable cd players, and they are definately worth the price for that convenience.
In response to Shades
Well if he was just going to use the PSP for music, then the Ipod would not be "crap" in this case, especially when you consider that those cards add up and outprice an Ipod when you combine them with the PSP, and an Ipod still ends up with more space.
Page: 1 2 3