ID:188566

I was playing warcraft III in local network adapter mode(on my laptop).It was a 6 on 6 against computer npcs, suddenly i began to lag horrible and it bothered me so bad i logged off. I then played a 3 on 3 match, it wasnt that bad, but i still wasnt satisfied. So' i was wondering if my specs are ok. For example, since the minium requirements' say "400mhz penitum II or equivalent" it wouldnt matter if i had a "pentium III~16mhz"

**********************************************************************************
Here are what the minium requirements are for Warcraft III(Windows 2000):

400mhz Pentium II or equivalent.
128 MB of RAM.
8MB 3D video card (TNT,1810,Voodoo,Rage 128 equivalent or better) with Directx 8.1 support.
1.3GB available hard drive space.
4x CD ROM drive or better.

Here are what the recommended requirements are for Warcraft III(Windows 2000):

600Mhz processor.
256 MB of RAM .
32 MB 3D video card .
DirectX 8.1 compatible sound card.

**********************************************************************************
Now heres what i got from Dxdiag:

*System TAB*

--System information--
Computer Name: Laptop
Operating System: Windows 2000
Language: English(Regional Setting: English)
Processor: Intel Pentium III,~16Mhz
Memory: 192MB RAM
Page file: 83MB used,147 available
DirectX Version: DirectX 8.1 (4:08.01.0881)

*Display TAB*

--Device--
Name: Martrox RAGE MOBILITY-M1 AGP - English
Manufacturer: ATI Tech.-Enhanced
Chip Type: Mach64: Rage Mobility
DAC Type: Internal
Approx. Total Memory: 8.0 MB
Current Display Mode:1024 x 768(16 bit)(optimal refresh rate)
Moniter: Default Moniter

--Drivers--
Main Driver: ati2drab.drv
Version: 4.11.01.2098 (English)
Signed: Yes
Mini VDD: ati2vxab.vxd
VDD: *vdd,*vflatd

**DirectX Version: DirectX 8.1

--DirectX Features--
DirectDraw Acceleration: Enabled
Direct3D Acceleration: Enabled
AGP Texture Acceleration: Enabled
Well, the minimum specs are meaning that the game will only run on those, not that it will run smoothly. I suggest lowering graphics and details if it bothers you so much, especially since your system is only slightly above the specs. I have a 1.6ghz processor and 384mb of PC2100 ram on this PC and WarCraft III gives me slight slowdown every now and then on loading, and thats with medium settings on it, also depends on what type of video card you have, because I think my main cause in slowdown would be that I am running it on a Geforce 2 MX, which is not exactly a good gaming card these days.
Pagemaster wrote:

Um... heh. That can't be right. I'm pretty sure they never made Pentium IIIs at 16Mhz. =D

You should be able to run it - but only just. Turn your graphics options down to the minimum and you might get better performance.
In response to Crispy
Crispy wrote:
Pagemaster wrote:

Um... heh. That can't be right. I'm pretty sure they never made Pentium IIIs at 16Mhz. =D

heh... they never made Pentiums that slow to begin with... :D

probably a video RAM problem... laptops are notorious for not having the same level of graphic card optimization as their desktop counterparts. if you have lots of RAM, you could probably get the system to share some with the graphic card, which might improve performance.

I have a Toshiba SA20 2.8Ghz P4 laptop with 256MB of RAM- GTA3 plays smoothly only when i turn the quality down a good bit. Quake2 runs well at 800x600 and UT2004 run nicely at 640x480 (stretched to fit the screen of course). StarCraft runs fine right out of the box.

you might also want to shut down anything else that's running in the system task manager. turn off virus programs and firewalls (assuming you are not hooked up to the internet) and print managers and audio/video programs and whatever else you don't need. that'll free up lots of resources.
In response to digitalmouse
Ok, thanks i turned it down from medium to low.I think i'am getting less lag.