ID:189413

If I buy a new computer that already has Windows XP Pro installed on it, and I want to install Linux, can I somehow burn XP onto a CD? It dosn't come with the XP cds, and I don't want to wipe out a perfectly good XP OS. Thanks.

<-Airjoe->
Adding to that question would it be possible to have both XP and Linux? Then switch between them when you feel like it? I have to drives C/D. D is completely empty so, would I somehow be able to operate Linux from drive D and Windows from drive C?
In response to SSChicken
SSChicken wrote:
Adding to that question would it be possible to have both XP and Linux? Then switch between them when you feel like it? I have to drives C/D. D is completely empty so, would I somehow be able to operate Linux from drive D and Windows from drive C?

Yes, you would. However, that means having only half the space you would have with one OS. Also, I think it has to be on seperate physical harddrives.
In response to Drafonis
No, I believe you can parition off your harddrive to dual boot with two OS's. Don't quote me on this, I've just picked it up from talking with people. You two should talk to digitalmouse if you can, he seems to be your best choice for advice on this matter.
In response to Jotdaniel
Listen, I don't want to use both OSs. I just want to use Linux, but I don't wanna get rid of a perfectly fine XP Pro.
In response to Airjoe
Airjoe - better off defragging XP pro (this moves all the data to the front of the hard disc) then splitting the drive in half using a partition program (most linux distros let you do this during installation). or better yet, to have a second harddisk (3-4GB drive is big enough for playing around with linux) to install what ever you want...

if the computer you buy does not come with original XP pro CD - send it back! you are entitled to that CD since in buying the computer with XP entitles you to a licensed copy of the OS. if the shop where you get the comp won't give you the CD, then look elsewhere... it is your right to have it, since it comes with the computer.
In response to Airjoe
Well then...check your Windows folder, see how much space it takes, give that space to a Windows partion and then the rest to a Linux partion...only way I can think of of saving XP would be burning the windows folder..but I have XP Home and it's 2.16 GB large (the Windows folder)...17,963 files and 717 folders...so you'll need 2-3 CDs.
In response to digitalmouse
Now that you helped Airjoe, could you help me DigitalMouse ^_^
digitalmouse wrote:
if the computer you buy does not come with original XP pro CD - send it back! you are entitled to that CD since in buying the computer with XP entitles you to a licensed copy of the OS. if the shop where you get the comp won't give you the CD, then look elsewhere... it is your right to have it, since it comes with the computer.

Not on eBay ^_^
Anyway, if I partion the Hard Drive, I can host with Linux and use WindowsXP? And, if that works, can the same thing be done with 2 Hard Drives? A 3-4GB Hard Drive shouldn't cost too much.

<-Airjoe->

forums << "Please don't lecture me on not buying on ebay, I've seen all the warnings, and if I get ripped, its my own fault. Thanks"
In response to Airjoe
Create an Ghost of your hard-drive in its current state using Norton Ghost, you can find it either at a shop or for the more illegal side, you could try kazaa if you wanted to.
In response to The mothball
The mothball wrote:
Well then...check your Windows folder, see how much space it takes, give that space to a Windows partion and then the rest to a Linux partion

that will not work effectively because "free space" is not contiguous - meaning it is not all collected in one space, but spread out across the disk, especially after you add/removes files from the disk. to just partition the space in a folder invites over-writing parts of your windows installation - not a good idea! for partitioning to work, you must first defragment the drive completely, which causes all data to be moved to one end of the drive. the XP defragmenter works ok, and i know that norton's speed-disk is even better at it.

once the drive data has been moved over to one end, *then* it is safe to re-partition the drive.
In response to Airjoe
Airjoe wrote:
Not on eBay ^_^
Anyway, if I partion the Hard Drive, I can host with Linux and use WindowsXP? And, if that works, can the same thing be done with 2 Hard Drives? A 3-4GB Hard Drive shouldn't cost too much.

as i mentioned in past threads with you, you cannot run Linux and Windows together at the same time at full speed - one OS has to be in control of the computer (preferrably Linux, but that's my opinion). If you want to be able to play games under windows at full speed *and* host BYOND games under Linux at the same time (although I have no clue why you would want to do this in the first place), the best you could hope for is to purchase or acquire VMware which would allow you to run Linux *inside* Windows XP - but understand that Linux will suffer from some speed problems (although from 2ghz on up it may not matter too much). With this route you will not have to partition anything, as Linux would sit inside a "virtual partition", which looks like any other file to WindowsXP.

the proper, and best, solution is to find an old 400mhz to 1ghz computer (many are found for under $300 nowadays) with a 2-3GB hard-disk, and set that up as a separate Linux hosting server. any other solution will just give you headaches! for example:

- what if Windows crashes VMware, or Windows itself crashes? then your linux hosting dies with it. the reverse is true if Linux crashes (although it would be much rarer).

- what if you decide to play (for example) Counterstrike or Warcraft3? then your BYOND hosted games will slow way down, and you will hear many complaints.

hosting games, especially several games, puts a modest strain on the resources of the host machine. a dedicated box is always the best solution.

now if you just can't afford a second smaller box, use VMware under WinXP to learn/tinker/experiment with Linux - don't even bother with thinking about hosting until you can get around the Linux shell comfortably, control services on under Linux, install/compile/run programs, learn about shell scripting and cron (for example). after about 3-4 months of that, *then* tackle BYOND hosting. you will thank me later...
I'm not going to use that computer to play games like Half Life 2 etc. At the most I'll be playing some BYOND games, using AIM, and surfing the internet. Yeah, that's a lot, but I also plan on getting 1GB RAM. The computer I am using right now will be the computer I mostly use. However, I share this computer with 6 other people. Even though I use it the most, if someone else wants to go on, I have to get off, in which case I will go and use the other computer.

Price now is: $51
Shipping: $30
Total: $81
Not bad = rand(0,1)
It's a pretty good deal for a 6 month old computer. Yeah, it could use more ram...but i'll fix that soon! :-P

<-Airjoe->
In response to Airjoe
odds are, during the last 2-3 hours you will see the price shoot up to the $300-$500 range or higher... my feeling says that box (2ghz Celeron, flat-panel screen, radeon all-in-wonder, photoshop, office XP, burner, MS keyboard) will end up being atleast $600-$700 at close.

Shall we start a friendly wager? I'll say the final bid will be $602! :) closest person wins the prize of knowing he/she can come the closest! :D
$683.75
In response to Dracon
1 Dollar, Bob.
In response to SSChicken
You could do That with this program That I saw on screen savers like you could switch between them at the desktop
In response to Seige1010
Seige1010 wrote:
You could do That with this program That I saw on screen savers like you could switch between them at the desktop

how about providing a link so that we can check it out, Siege? I'm curiouse to try most anything once.

otherwise, my post [link] still stands...
Now people are betting on the price of a computer that I want to get -_-

Price: 152.50
Time Left: 1d, 4h, 58m
Closest: I think sariat is winning =(

<-Airjoe->

(PS. Well, Im out. When ya only got $100, you're not going to get a new computer -_-)

Are you guys coutning shipping? If so, add another $30.