In response to Kusanagi
It made me laugh too. Good job Sariat.
In response to DarkView
DarkView wrote:
the Atari 2100. Its obsolete, and not really needed.

Yes, that would be why it was never created. Maybe you meant the Atari 2600l, which could be considered obsolete, but it still rules.

Looks alright, the mobs look really out of place though

Yea, I noticed that too. It would make sense to use multi-tiled mobs anyway, because not all monsters in Final Fantasy games (6 primarily) are 32x32 or smaller. Plus it just looks bad with the backgroud the way it is and the small sprites.
In response to OneFishDown
hm... RaeKwon's FFO!?

Gakumerasara is working on a GOOD FFO, and from the closed tests that I've been in (I'm part of the staff for Gaku's FFO) I have to say it is the best Final Fantasy Game I've ever seen on byond, and I consider it the best Free Online game on the internet. For all those wondering, Gaku's FFO is the new name for Final Fantasy Flashback, which Gaku originally wanted to be Final Fantasy online... I see a few issues coming up now.

For all those wondering, Final Fantasy Online (Gaku's) is awesomely awesome right now! new, larger maps, awesome unique item system, and lots of awesome spells! as well as a battle system that has never been done before in BYOND!
In response to Clowd
Clowd wrote:
hm... RaeKwon's FFO!?

Gakumerasara is working on a GOOD FFO, and from the closed tests that I've been in (I'm part of the staff for Gaku's FFO) I have to say it is the best Final Fantasy Game I've ever seen on byond, and I consider it the best Free Online game on the internet. For all those wondering, Gaku's FFO is the new name for Final Fantasy Flashback, which Gaku originally wanted to be Final Fantasy online... I see a few issues coming up now.

For all those wondering, Final Fantasy Online (Gaku's) is awesomely awesome right now! new, larger maps, awesome unique item system, and lots of awesome spells! as well as a battle system that has never been done before in BYOND!

Personally, I think Final Fantasy Flashback sucked, I went in for beta testing, and saw nothing original in the game.
Final Fantasy Flashback couldent be the best game on the internet as of now, as its running with a low-class emulater. Besides, why play a game that goes hard on 56k? Gaku is a good coder, but, he got the name from Tazor, who "said" he had the original copyrights for the game "Final Fantasy Online", there will be issues regarding copyright for this game.
In response to Asguard
Sorry, but you all haven't seen the new FFF. Which is named 'FFO', with permission by the ORIGINAL MAKER OF FFO.

It is by far the best game ever, trust me. Trash it all you want but don't expect to get far when Gaku reads. And Raekwon don't play it please; steal ideas elsewhere.
In response to FuZzY DiCe
Ah, yes. Our man RaeKwon, master of the original rip-off.

Why is it, that you choose NOW to revive a game that was replaced long ago? Hmm? I think you just want to use the ideas you've pilferred from the others to make a generic copy, just so you can reap the benefits?

Oh, sure, you may think I'm protecting FFO because I helped in its workings, but that's not it at all.

It is one of the few friggin' unique games on BYOND that I have ever seen. In all my cruising, I've never found anything else like it.

But...enough ranting. RaeKwon, choose a different name, or just piss the hell off.
In response to KingSlime105
FFF (FFO) is one of the few original games I have found on BYOND. The battle system and all roundgame play is unique and impressive... Dont diss it untill you have at least played it. just because its an oldie revived doesnt mean its "outdated" Too each their own, but ignorance is not an excuese.
In response to Reala
Thank you Rea.
In response to Tony WK
Sorry, I have played the updated version. RaeKwon owns all respective rights to the name "Final Fantasy Online". He had it first, was original first, and "kicked ass" first. We all have opinions, and I am certainly along the hundreds of people that do not like Final Fantasy Flashback. Like the saying goes "Do not judge a product by its advertisement". There should be more games with a time based battle system, rather then an open like battle system. Its bad news for the other 60% 56kers of the world. Like I said before, it is YOUR opinion based on YOUR mind. No matter how popular the game gets, people will still dislike it. And I frankly dont like people who advertise the game that isnt even finished! Bottom line, dont judge a project, no matter how "great" it is, if it isnt finished. Gaku is a great coder, as I mentioned earlier in this post, but still, please, change the name.

P.S: The best game ever is going a "tad" bit too far there kid. Maybe when BYOND gets updated to a better version, as I say... far better version, with such a small community, I hardly doubt this is the "best game ever". I dont mean to break any hearts out there, but BYOND hasnt got the "capabilities" to become a hit game on the net.
Look, got a flame to settle? Take it to Chatters!
[Insert Banner here]

I've seen Final Fantasy Online in its prime, before all of this hoo-ha. Raekwon will NOT change the name of his game, as of, HE had it first mister. As I remember correctly, Final Fantasy Online was here since 2001! I really dont know what jack-ass said he had the "rights" to change the name from Final Fantasy Flashback to FFO. Im behind Raekwon 100% on this one. Got anything else to settle? Look up.
In response to Asguard
Let us watch the poser hide behind the fraud. RaeKwon didn't make the first FFO. And, quite frankly, I've seen all his "best" stuff. It's all copied. And it's all [explictive deleted] copies at that.

When he makes something original, I may change my tune...

But till then, continue hiding in a lesser man's shadow...
Yeah, hi. You should choose a new name for your game; try to be unique. http://www.ffonline.com
In response to Roogle
That is a website for all final fantasys, not a game.
In response to Roogle
Being unique would require changing not only the name of the game, but the whole point of the game. The idea is that Final Fantasy Online is a fangame, and obviously not completely unique.
Didnt I say take it to Chatters? Why didnt you? You just wasted Dantoms bandwidth, to hell with you! I will not stoop down so low to argue with somebody with lesser intelligence, and frankly blinded by his own pride. Raekwon is a nice coder over-all, not the best, not the worst. I admire his skills never-the-less. You seem to have a childish-like-grudge against Raekwon, maybe you should get to know him, hes a nice guy. To identify a "lesser-man" is to identify yourself really.

P.S: Dont bother to flame, it'll just make you look like your talking to yourself.
In response to Asguard
Asguard wrote:
Look, got a flame to settle? Take it to Chatters!
[Insert Banner here]

I've seen Final Fantasy Online in its prime, before all of this hoo-ha. Raekwon will NOT change the name of his game, as of, HE had it first mister. As I remember correctly, Final Fantasy Online was here since 2001! I really dont know what jack-ass said he had the "rights" to change the name from Final Fantasy Flashback to FFO. Im behind Raekwon 100% on this one. Got anything else to settle? Look up.

He asked me if I would "Sell the name," I said no. If he changed it without my permission, I'll have a score to settle.

RaeKwon
In response to Asguard
Hmmm . . . I think this is all getting a little bit out of hand. I also don't think the BYOND forum is the place to discuss it. But since we're all here already . . .

First off, let me say that there’s no need to throw around insults on either side of the issue. I apologize on behalf of those who have posted insulting comments while supporting my game Final Fantasy Online. I also recognize that everyone is entitled to their opinions, and I will make no attempt to change them for the sake of agreement with my own.

Second, saying that anyone has a true claim to the name “Final Fantasy Online” on BYOND is absurd since Final Fantasy itself is copyright by Square. But let’s overlook this and take a brief trip back in time through the BYOND forums, shall we?

If we do a search on “Final Fantasy Online”, we find nearly 3 pages worth of entries. The first several entries are in regard to a proposed game by FireKing which would have been called “Final Fantasy Online”. This name was never again mentioned by Fireking, so it can be assumed that the project was abandoned. There was a short string of posts related to the proposed game and potential copyright infringements.

Next we come to Tazor07 and his post on (9/18/01 4:32 pm), where he first talks about making a game called “Final Fantasy Online”. Skipping ahead a few posts, we come to his post on (9/29/01 8:46 pm), where he posts a snippet of code along with the commented line “//This is Final Fantasy Online created by Tazor07”. This is the first reference to an existing Final Fantasy Online on BYOND, although other FF games surely existed. We see more references to his FFO on (9/30/01 5:54 pm) and (11/25/01 10:18 am).

Coming to RaeKwon’s posts, we see that his first mention of a game called Final Fantasy Online was on (3/5/02 11:06 am) under the thread title “/\\//\\//\\/” Even if you assume he had been working on it for some time, I think we can all agree that it isn’t in RaeKwon’s character to wait over 5 months before announcing a game on BYOND. Also, had it been announced long before Tazor07's game, there would have still been some documentation during that 5 month period, if only an announcement of a bug test or a major update (as RaeKwon is prone to do). Thus it can be assumed that Tazor07’s FFO came out well before RaeKwon’s.

I could just as easily have claimed the name Final Fantasy Online as my own when I started working on it (its original name was in fact Final Fantasy Online), but I chose to change the name to Final Fantasy Flashback after seeing RaeKwon’s “/\\//\\//\\/” thread about a month after I began working on my game. Following the suggestions from BYOND, I decided to not announce my game until it was much more developed and thus lost the name. I even e-mailed RaeKwon twice (using the e-mail address under his BYOND listing) informing him politely that I was already making a game called “Final Fantasy Online”, but I can only assume that he ignored them. This could have been resolved a year-and-a-half ago, but unfortunately it wasn’t.

It is true that I offered to buy the name “Final Fantasy Online” from RaeKwon while FFF was in its prime last fall, but he refused. This would have also resolved the issue very easily (with some expense to myself) but once again, we see that this was not the case. I wouldn’t have asked him had he not claimed to have given up on the project, since doing so would have been extremely rude.

Afterwards, I did a little bit of research (most of which I posted above), and I found that someone had in fact created an FFO prior to RaeKwon's. As luck would have it, I found Tazor07 on BYOND late last year. I asked him about his old FFO, and he was happy to grant me use of the name along with his blessing for my game. I really don’t think there’s much else to say on the issue. I won’t be changing the name again from “Final Fantasy Online” to something else. I would prefer that RaeKwon not use the name, but at the same time, there is nothing I or anyone else can really do about it. However, I hope that my position is enough to convince everyone that my game is the only legitimate “Final Fantasy Online” on BYOND.

--- Gakumerasara
In response to Gakumerasara
My games name will not change, yours is the one that should be. When I first worked on Final Fantasy Online, it started as Cappa_kyle (before I even started Dragon Warrior Nova). It was discontinued for months, and months, till I started it up again, and found Ghaleon. My Final Fantasy Online has been the only Final Fantasy Online on BYOND, that was known enough to have people defend it over a year later, there is no question about it.

Lets take this into prospective, a guy named “LEETest” creates a game called “Dragon Warrior Online” in 1999, but never made it public. SilkWizard comes along and creates Dragon Warrior Online, and has it get rather popular, then, LEETest, that Created it in 99’, gives it to some guy, and now technically SilkWizard doesn’t own Dragon Warrior Online anymore. This is basically, from your saying, what this problem is like. I don’t appreciate having words put in my mouth, and 100% of the people that were around in the first days of Final Fantasy Online know very well what I’m saying. I’ve known Tazor07 for a long time, I’ve seen him create games as a new-comer, and not once have I seen anything about a Final Fantasy Online game. When he was going threw his Dragon Warrior phase, Final Fantasy Online was being created.

You asked me for ownership of the name a long time ago, you offered to buy it as well, I declined the offer. Was this a way of getting revenge because I declined your offer? Is it a way to make enemies? Is it a way to steal a oldbie-popular games name, to get your own game popular? If your game was popular in the past then I solute you, but to come upfront and take another games name is just wrong. You very well know the truth, you’re just to stubborn to admit it.

RaeKwon
This thread has become one giant flame war, and many replies break various forum rules. I'm closing this thread.
Page: 1 2