ID:194912

(deleted)
Konrad739 wrote:
hey i've never or rarely ever posted in here before so i just decided to see what you guys think about some of the following attempts i have.

[[i code dont icon im just trying to 'diversify']]

1. i made this when experimenting with sizes larger than 32x32 [small one is an older base a friend of mine made i was using it as a reference]
Photobucket

2. and i made this base for Bleach Advanced a game my team is working on [Fun Zone Productions]
Photobucket

C&C appreciated

i like it, but just a suggestion
give it a lightsource.... ill show you:
Photobucket
(i only did alittle bit and that was the top part)
that is where i picture the sun shining on the base.
he is another example(when i was working on rocks)
Photobucket
but yeh i do like it.
In response to Evil-D123
kool kool i like that, ok ill give all the frames a light source and post in a sec

secondly does anyone know were i can find a tutorial for animating this? i did an animation....not that great ill show in a bit

[[sorry for posting using this account my friend had changed it and i didnt realize]]
In response to People love me
Photobucket[[no you are not allowed to use this base in a game]]

i think the side views are sorta....retarded...i'm not really too good at this iconing stuff any more advice?

[[sorry for posting using this account my friend had changed it and i didnt realize]]
In response to Evil-D123
The thing with dealing with light sources when it comes to pixel art for games.
One you should use a light source coming from a side because one it will make harder to pixel since you have to pixel west and east differently instead of just flipping it around
and since the light source of the base is from one side it means the rest of the turfs such as buildings and so on will have to have the same light source and that won't look good, so my point is for games you should use a light source coming from the top
In response to Nidaime Hokage
Personally I think a light source coming in from a angle (with it mostly coming from the top) works best. It's not that difficult to translate into buildings, and if you do it right it really does look awesome. Especially if you put shadows on everything, it really pops the game out and makes it not seem 'flat.'
In response to Maggeh
Maggeh wrote:
Personally I think a light source coming in from a angle (with it mostly coming from the top) works best. It's not that difficult to translate into buildings, and if you do it right it really does look awesome. Especially if you put shadows on everything, it really pops the game out and makes it not seem 'flat.'

i to prefer light sources from an angle.
but anyways Konrad739 here is some help when working with light source.

this is how you would go about it with a light source from the top

light source

This is a light source from an angle
light source

(source: http://www.itchy-animation.co.uk/light.htm)

but you should choose wisely because this will be the theme to your game.
Nidaime Hokage wrote:
The thing with dealing with light sources when it comes to pixel art for games.
One you should use a light source coming from a side because one it will make harder to pixel since you have to pixel west and east differently instead of just flipping it around
and since the light source of the base is from one side it means the rest of the turfs such as buildings and so on will have to have the same light source and that won't look good, so my point is for games you should use a light source coming from the top

It doesn't really make it any harder. You can still flip a base and have it look good. It only takes a minute or two to adjust the light source. I don't know where you got the idea that a consistent light source on the turfs make it look WORSE though, ya got it backwards. Using a more interesting light source then the basic directly above angle actually makes things look a whole lot better, as Maggeh described.
In response to AmonR
well I don't in my opinion using a light source coming from an angel other than the top is more for like a pixel work art rather than for in game work.
Er... Pretty much all the gaming greats, and even the not-so-greats used an angled light source. Pixel art and game art go hand in hand and have since the beginning. It was developed from game art. I actually think it'd be harder to find games with the same perspective Byond uses (Traditional RPG style) that uses a light source coming directly from the top center (Outside of Byond of course).

Really it sounds more like a matter of laziness than anything. Not that imposing a light source is especially hard anyways.
Nash_M1V3P wrote:
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

The head is the same shape as our SRC base. I hope it is just a coincidence.

Not like the base belonged to you anyways.

I also thought it was similar to mine (think about it, wouldn't someone rather steal the most updated version of a base?). But I've already analyzed it so if I'm not complaining neither should you.
In response to Hulio-G
Well there's only so many effective head shapes you can come up with when you're fitting an entire body into a 32x32 square, while still leaving space for things to go on top of it.
In response to AmonR
AmonR wrote:
Well there's only so many head shapes you can come up with when you're fitting an entire body into a 32x32 square, while still leaving space for things to go on top of it.

That's also true, Flick had brought that up the other day. I was mainly checking his colors, shading techniques and how similar the anatomy was.
In response to Hulio-G
well i was looking at a tutorial on a website and it showed me that shape of the head, and if you look at it ALOT of base icons use a head similiar to that, for example the following, BLN and GOA have similiar head set ups no i did not look at your icons to copy or anything of the sort i sat down read a tut and iconned it