In response to TheMonkeyDidIt
TheMonkeyDidIt wrote:
Ok. Well, here's the bug question:
Should the BYOND Pixel Art Guild be used for:
1) Any and all game art (visuals) that can be utilized by a BYOND game (including photographs, renders of 3d models, digital paintings)?
2) All game art that can be made in a conventional image/bitmap editor (DM Icon Editor, MSPaint, Graphics Gale, Paint.net, Photoshop, etc.) from scratch (no edits of photos, paintings or 3d art)?
3) All game art that adheres to the vague but strict subculture/art movement called 'pixel art' (IOW, no oekaki, no procedural tools like filters, no photo manip, no 3d model starts, limited pallette, every pixel placed by hand, no alpha channel transparency, etc.)?

I have no problem with the pixel art subculture. I like it. I like the limits of it because it makes you think about what you're doing and get creative to overcome the limits. There's also a lot to be said about the way it trains you in technique and composition that ends up making you a better artist.

But! I approach this guild, as I've said before, from a practical standpoint. I believe it should exist to better any and all artwork that can be used (technologically) in a BYOND game. For me, it's not so much about pixel art purism, or 'cheating' by using photos or 3d renders or filters, but what will end up making all the individual games (and by extension, BYOND as a whole) better visually. Also, I don't believe that the game art industry would limit itself to artificial constraints. They want to do what works, looks good, and gets the content out the fastest. So, if any of us are serious about either making a good-looking game or wedging our way into the game industry, then we can't afford to leave any option off the table.
So, in case you haven't guessed, I'd be for stance number three.

I would be for stance two, if there were other guilds that could take up the other methods of making art assets (like a 3d modeling guild, a photo manipulation guild, etc.), but currently there aren't. So we're it. Yes, we're named Pixel Art Guild, but until the time that there are enough interested artists and a few willing guilds to do the other methods and talk about them, I think it's better for the community to have it all in one place. Alternately, I can look into having the name changed.

That's my stance and, although I'm a mod here, I consider it only one vote and would love to here other perspectives on this.

As for Latoma's mech being on the front page: that was my call using much of the reasoning above. If, however, Z wants to pull it off the front page, I'll do it, because she's the one that paid for and started the guild.

Latoma, if you have WIP of the technique you're using (or Hollow is using) to do these from scratch, or can do a WIP from a new one, you may want to post them.

What does the community (Pixel Art Guild Members) think?

Next time I get Hollowfied, I'm gonna ask him to get the complete process, however I have just began to search ALL of Google for any evidence of the two other icons he made me (not the Big Zam, but the Sazabi (Final2, which is the 'side' stance) and the Gaplant (Not here)) being ripped.

After checking ALL of google.. I found nothing for the Gaplant. A Lot of similars, but they were all facing the side unless he pulled another edit off.

As for the Sazabi, I'm searching, and have yet to find a thing.

The Gaplant (which I'm posting up into my original post along with the CLOSEST resembling I could find of a model AND the original anime picture) i searched EVERY Google Image page for it's model number (ORX-005), the Black BG one was THE closest I found *gets to editting opening post*

PS: Thank you Monkey for this honor.

In response to Zenigwolf
Zenigwolf wrote:
I have no problem with this being more than just pixel art. What I do have problems with is users claiming to do art in one form, when they did it in another, or even stole it.

I never said it was more than pixel art, maggeh interpreted it as such (see opening post). I said Maggeh said to post it up here, nothing more.

As for the actual fact the Big Zam WAS copied, I CANNOT argue that, however after checking EVERY page of the Sazabi AND the Gaplant's pictures, I found nothing that looks just like the pictures I have. Similar Yes, but perfectly the same down to metallic shine AND positioning? No..
In response to Latoma
People do have their own models, I could take a picture of my zoids and resize them in any position I want. Then remove the background. It's not that hard at all, he doesn't need pre-existing images to resize either.
In response to Zenigwolf
Zenigwolf wrote:
People do have their own models, I could take a picture of my zoids and resize them in any position I want. Then remove the background. It's not that hard at all, he doesn't need pre-existing images to resize either.

Most of these models though are Old, some aren't even in america. I have yet to hear of a Gaplant Model in America. Then again last I checked Zeta Gundam wasn't a very popularly brought american series due to the fall out of gundam due to it's lack of TV showings.
In response to Latoma
Zenigwolf wrote:
I have no problem with this being more than just pixel art.

Good to know.

What I do have problems with is users claiming to do art in one form, when they did it in another, or even stole it.

Agreed. Especially on the second part.

Latoma:

In either case, you've got some slick sprites there. If you can match the style with whatever turfs you come up with without making it look to photographic, you're set. No ones trying to back you into a corner here or searching for evidence from anyone but Hollow. Let's just say the techniques Hollow's using are 'pushing the envelope' and that, if he is using photos, he shouldn't be embarassed to come forward and admit it. It's not like he's causing a genocide in Africa. In fact, if they are models, like I said, I think it's inventive. He just shouldn't say they're drawn work.

As for you: I think you're just a guy that's caught between what your artist told you he did and what he may/may not be actually doing. The proof of a WIP rests with him (if he insists it's done with scans/filters). As far as I'm concerned, you haven't done anything wrong.
TheMonkeyDidIt wrote:
Zenigwolf wrote:

Good to know.

What I do have problems with is users claiming to do art in one form, when they did it in another, or even stole it.

Latoma:

In either case, you've got some slick sprites there. If you can match the style with whatever turfs you come up with without making it look to photographic, you're set. No ones trying to back you into a corner here or searching for evidence from anyone but Hollow. Let's just say the techniques Hollow's using are 'pushing the envelope' and that, if he is using photos, he shouldn't be embarassed to come forward and admit it. It's not like he's causing a genocide in Africa. In fact, if they are models, like I said, I think it's inventive. He just shouldn't say they're drawn work.

As for you: I think you're just a guy that's caught between what your artist told you he did and what he may/may not be actually doing. The proof of a WIP rests with him (if he insists it's done with scans/filters). As far as I'm concerned, you haven't done anything wrong.

As I said, I'm gonna make him show the whole process step by step to ya'll here through screenshots (He's got a few weeks he claimed before he goes off to the Air Force). IF I can Catch his ass on for longer than 30 seconds.

As for my Game, I want to make it look as good as possible. That's why I wanted to push the envelope on graphics to all extents possible. I mean I wanted the following (as I told AxeRob)

Boundary 1: be the first game to eliminate ALL training, no matter how insignificant, and make the game 100% Strategy-Skill based

Boundary 2: To surpass the Graphics of Most Byond Games to the point Pixel Art COULD be deemed obsolete in most games.

Boundary 3: TO make a game where PK was the focus, but not to the point where it could be used to totally annoy people

Boundary 4: (Didn't say to Axerob): To make the game feel so realistic, you almost naturally had an urge to get involved in an RP fashion. IE: The Mobile Suits in the hangers are 4x4 to 10x10 big.
TheMonkeyDidIt wrote:
Zenigwolf wrote:

Good to know.

Latoma:

Mkay, I seem to got an idea how it's done after reviewing MSN convos.

He started by Drawing on paper the Design of the suit, then he scanned it seemingly, redid the lines with PSP, then added color and stuff to individual pieces, then put them together and added light. This is all I gathered >_<
Page: 1 2