ID:2097527

Resolved
/image now has a default plane of FLOAT_PLANE. This is a compiler change and will not affect already-compiled code.
Applies to:DM Language

This issue has been resolved.
Images, when added as an overlay, have their plane unaltered, and as a result it will always be 0 unless you specify otherwise, even if the object you are adding the overlay to is on plane 99 or plane -99.

This is a different behaviour to what I expected; as when you add an overlay, even without defining the layer, it will take into account the layer the object it is being added is and act accordingly, I think it'd be a very useful addition if the image's plane acted in the same manner, defaulting to the same plane as the object it is added to if no specific plane is listed.

The reason I think this matters is because if you have a multi-planed system, it is inconvenient to continuously do:

new/image/x = image()
x.plane = src.plane
src.overlays += x

When this would be, in most scenarios, what the coder wants to occur anyway.
You're probably right; FLOAT_PLANE would make a much more sensible default for images.
I agree with this feature request, will this also affect other syntaxes for adding things to overlays such as.

src.overlays += "someiconstate"
In response to Clusterfack
Clusterfack wrote:
I agree with this feature request, will this also affect other syntaxes for adding things to overlays such as.

src.overlays += "someiconstate"

That's already in place. Adding an icon or an icon state as an overlay uses FLOAT_PLANE, as do any overlays loaded from savefiles now.
Oh, alright
Lummox JR resolved issue with message:
/image now has a default plane of FLOAT_PLANE. This is a compiler change and will not affect already-compiled code.