ID:27788

Keywords: bmud, gamedesign, mud
Well, after considering things for a while I decided to make BMUD DS capable. At the moment, I'm looking into further options for design to make things more smoothe in DreamSeeker (Considering, but not yet settled on, screen objects).

Below is BMUD in DS, then in Telnet using the CMUD MUD Client:

Comments and suggestions on how to make things work better in DreamSeeker are definately appreciated.

Hopefully, this means that I can start working on the content side of things relatively soon; I haven't implemented anything to do except walk around, look at stuff and interact with objs - But thats on purpose. I intended to start working on the actual content of the game and sketch up as much detailed information as possible about the setting and environment, before diving into combat mechanics, crafting, sailing/utilizing vehicles to move and all that.
That looks very nice, actually. DO you any telnet shots to compare?
FWIW, if you do hate statpanels...if you hate them with the fire of a thousand burning suns...if you hate them more than internet memes involving 1337 speak...

You can use text screen objs.
I just tried it. Objs applied to the client screen in text mode will appear in the client screen with their respective obj.text setting. You could probably use them as you're stat panel (as a kind of text hud).
That's only if you hate statpanels enough, tho.
TheMonkeyDidIt wrote:
You can use text screen objs.
I just tried it. Objs applied to the client screen in text mode will appear in the client screen with their respective obj.text setting. You could probably use them as you're stat panel (as a kind of text hud).
That's only if you hate statpanels enough, tho.

Yeah, I know; I'm going to be looking into implementing certain information about either the player or their location in the HUD. It has to be effecient enough that it won't add lag to the game, however. Also, since text screen objs can't be placed outside the absolute view (21x21), I only have whats left after an 18x18 display to write on.

Jmurph wrote:
That looks very nice, actually. DO you any telnet shots to compare?

Whups, good point. Let me take one and update the blog entry with it, for comparison.
I went ahead and added a telnet picture as well; Keep in mind that I gave it an 18x18 view for reasons of comparison. The most reasonable map size to use in telnet would be 18x9, or any format where the width is twice the height. This makes the view look square, in a monospaced font.
It works great for comparison.

You know, you could ditch the map on DS entirely and just feed the text to the client just like any other telnet client. Personally, I think the DS shot looks fine, though.
Jmurph wrote:
It works great for comparison.

You know, you could ditch the map on DS entirely and just feed the text to the client just like any other telnet client. Personally, I think the DS shot looks fine, though.

I'd do that, but the problem is that text scrolls agonizingly slow in DS; So slow that displaying many lines at once, repeatedly, causes the screen to jump and glitch.
neat so far! i look forward to playing!