ID:29059

I'm sure that a lot of people have complained about this way be for I have. But it just seems to be happening more and more every day and it's about sickening. You would really think people would stop doing these type of things but I guess that's like asking for the winning lottery ticket.

People every day, work hard on custom icons of all sorts. Whether if it's something simple, or something that takes a person 13+ hours to icon it's still a lot of work. Something some one is proud of especially if it is one of a kind. It's your work, you can show it off because it is yours. Some thing, a person can be proud of you know?

What makes me beyond mad is when Dishonest people log onto a game and they are all Oooo look at this icon, that is sooo awesome I must be a jerk and Rip it because I have to have it and can't make the effort to try to make one myself or something possibly even better because I am a N00b. Hello! If you want something so bad, that some one else did from scratch that wasn't taken from no Sprite sheet, then do what they did. DO IT YOUR SELF!!! Then if they are ripping the icon from a game or person or how ever you want to put it, they are more unlikely vindictive about it in the first place and they have to spread it around to a thousand different people thinking they are cool when in all actuality they are showing how much of a child they really are by doing such immature non since.

That's where another problem begins, people who rip stuff from other games, to make their own game takes the uniqueness away. Like all these source rips you hear people talking about. Icon Rips, are the same way. It's aggravating enough to log onto two games that are just alike that have two separate names and two separate owners, let alone to log onto a game where you see some moron with an icon that you know for a fact doesn't belong to them. Why should people have to worry about using their custom icons or not, in fear of someone stealing their ideas? I guess no matter where you go in life, no matter how safe you think you are, their will always be a thief present some where.

All in all, People should be allowed to express and show others their ideas and not have to worry about other people stealing them from them. People don't work hard just to have the rug pulled out from underneath of them. So to those of you with no life, who rip Ideas and such from others just to be mean, Get a Life and learn how to do it yourself. Because that's the only reason you are stealing other peoples Ideas in the first place is because you can't think of one yourself, let alone have the intelligence to accomplish it yourself.
Stealing/Lieing/Theft/Dishonesty = Profitable

Welcome to the real world, even if it is mirrored in an online community.
Desire is human instinct.
Your friend has a cool watch, you want a cool watch too.

And 80% (percentage made-up) of these 'ripped games' you speak of are not stolen either. Source codes get released, and that's how they come to be.

There are times when people actually steal people's work, but that's usually taken care of quickly, or atleast the community is alerted of the situation.
Doesn't make it right, no matter what the out come is. How can some one can live with themselves knowing the way they made it to the top is by stealing it from some one else, it's unfair and people shouldn't be allowed to do it, here or in real life >.> If people want something they should work for it themselves instead of taking some one else's idea and pushing it forward that way. I honestly myself can't code. I would love to have a game of my own but since I am to impatient to code or even learn to code I will probably be no more than a Co-Owner. Thus I would never take some one else's idea and turn into mine because that is wrong and unoriginal.
People are scandalous, and that's just how it is.
Unfortunately, that's what happens when you have a community who's members don't respect one another.

I think it has to do with the younger generation of people. No offense to the rare few who are actually respectful, but the majority of old teens/young adults these days have much looser moral standards than what would be considered acceptable 5 or more years ago.
The conception of right and wrong varies from one individual to another.

What may be "right" for someone may just be "wrong" for someone else, and vice versa.

With that being said, as far as intentional releasing of one's own work is concerned, I say it's the author's problem, plain and simple. If he gives anyone the right to use his work, then I can't see how it can be viewed as "wrong".

The only situation in which I can see this as "wrong" is whenever it is done without the author's proper consent (ie: rsc ripping, co-author using author's work without consent, etc.).

Hate to say it, but for your own sake, you better get used to such situations. Not only on BYOND, but anywhere. There'll always be someone waiting for someone else to have a great idea so they can sneak up and take it away from them.

And since life is unfair, it is your responsibility (not officially, but rather in a "you don't have a choice" kind-of way) to make sure your stuff doesn't get taken advantage of. Sucks, but that's how it is if you don't wanna get screwed over.

Don't wait for someone to help you on this, help yourself!
Miles_Edgeworth wrote:
The conception of right and wrong varies from one individual to another.

What may be "right" for someone may just be "wrong" for someone else, and vice versa.

With that being said, as far as intentional releasing of one's own work is concerned, I say it's the author's problem, plain and simple. If he gives anyone the right to use his work, then I can't see how it can be viewed as "wrong".

The only situation in which I can see this as "wrong" is whenever it is done without the author's proper consent (ie: rsc ripping, co-author using author's work without consent, etc.).

Hate to say it, but for your own sake, you better get used to such situations. Not only on BYOND, but anywhere. There'll always be someone waiting for someone else to have a great idea so they can sneak up and take it away from them.

And since life is unfair, it is your responsibility (not officially, but rather in a "you don't have a choice" kind-of way) to make sure your stuff doesn't get taken advantage of. Sucks, but that's how it is if you don't wanna get screwed over.

Don't wait for someone to help you on this, help yourself!

Basically, I have said the same things you have just said in so many other words. Plus I am not only speaking of myself, I am speaking of everyone in General whom has ever created any thing on byond.
Me agree. I'm retarded, but I can understand thingies.