ID:2913811

Not Feasible
Applies to:Dream Maker

Implementing this feature is not possible now or in the foreseeable future
See https://www.byond.com/forum/post/2913728 for what was assumed to be a bug by both myself and several others working on a game map.

The current behaviour is unintuitive: If there is the option to edit an object, change its value, see that change occur...when you click OK you will rightfully assume those changes have been applied. It should not silently reject/revert your change.
The third or fourth user I've encountered who is on 514 purely because they didn't realize classic mode exists (and prefer how it interacts with the instance editor). One of them was working with the editor for the first time and thought what were intentional design choices were bugs also (their instance changes reverting...). Copy mode is all around awful and I still have no idea what the purpose of it is.

(context: he was on 514 and disconnecting a lot, I told him to update as it may help)
Chance — Today at 10:24 PM
well there's your problem. you're on 514
update to the latest

Valterak — Today at 10:24 PM
the beta branch?

Chance — Today at 10:24 PM
yep

Valterak — Today at 10:24 PM
i hate the beta branch and the changes it does to dreammaker.
specifically the map bits.

Chance — Today at 10:25 PM
you saw what i posted in map chat yeah?
you need to toggle "classic mode"
https://www.byond.com/forum/post/2913811
Map Editor: Make 'Classic Mode' the default behaviour

Valterak — Today at 10:25 PM
damn, that's an option?

yes

Valterak — Today at 10:25 PM
that sounds good.
yeah, sure.

it is good, because it makes sense, unlike the current default
Lummox JR resolved issue (Not Feasible)
It feels dismissive and rude to mark a very feasible (perhaps undesirable from your PoV) change as Not Feasible, without any discussion. I'm still in the middle of debugging more issues with the map editor, but that's a sign to not bother and focus our time in setting up an external tool instead like fastdmm2. Considering the tab change bug existed for months with no report, then that's not ideal, as it appears active users of the Map Editor in large projects are lacking.

If you're set on sabotaging the instance editor as default behaviour, then please at least prompt the user when they edit a value to 'switch to Classic Mode or instance changes won't save' or wherever it's appropriate. Right now it's deceptive and antagonistic design to anyone who isn't aware.
Lummox continuing to alienate developers...
Not at all. He fixed the Map Editor bug report I made within a day and responded to the others with clarification.

There was a lengthy alpha process for the Map Editor, and I guess that's when this kind of feedback would have been good. But still better late than never.
In response to Pixel Realms
Pixel Realms wrote:
Not at all. He fixed the Map Editor bug report I made within a day and responded to the others with clarification.

There was a lengthy alpha process for the Map Editor, and I guess that's when this kind of feedback would have been good. But still better late than never.

You're not the first nor the last person that was driven off the platform.

I always check back once in a while and I still see major issues being ignored. WebView2 is long overdue and the list of major issues with the platform is extremely long.

Edit: Fixed link
Well there's plenty of reasons to not use the engine, but putting the blame on the sole developer personally is weird. His updates have been thorough and impressive (map multi-threading has been a godsend).

Anyway, this is best to be closed.
In response to Pixel Realms
Pixel Realms wrote:
but putting the blame on the sole developer personally is weird.

Major issues with the engine fall on the maintainer of that engine.

Anyways, feel free to close this if you want. Nothing else to discuss here.
In response to Lavenblade
Lavenblade wrote:
Pixel Realms wrote:

You're not the first nor the last person that was driven off the platform.

I always check back once in a while and I still see major issues being ignored. WebView2 is long overdue and the list of major issues with the platform is extremely long.

Edit: Fixed link

I love that you linked the same person that you're speaking to, as if they were unaware of the move for their own game.