Um, I don't think that number's quite on par with the actual cost of WWII. if the final cost was inflated to the value of the USD in 1990, the cost would have been $2,091.3 billion Dollars(US), and unless I'm wrong, 2,091>450. If Lummox is talking about the amount of US casualties, then there's no fair comparison. This whole conflict is a drop in the bucket compared to WW2, and even trying to compare the two is just sick.
Well, there is no easy way to measure those loses, since the military doesn't count certain deaths as casualties of war. And that also doesn't include the untold masses of troops who came back alive, but severely handicapped.

Also, you should keep in mind that military technology and tactics have changed significantly since WWII, mainly due to the extended campaign in Vietnam. We'll probably never see the death tolls of WWII, since we can treat most battle injuries that would have killed a soldier in WWI or II.

We've lost about 3,680 troops according the DOD, with an offical count of about 23,000 injured. WWII cost us about 407,000 good men, with about 300,000 wounded. We don't have the troop forces of those wars, which may contribute to the lower numbers, but the main factor is improved medical technology and faster treatment of the wounded.

Of course, it doesn;t help that we keep sending them back again and again. I'd rather there be a draft than just constantly throwing the same war ravaged troops back into the grinder.

~X
Ah, right Disturbed. The reference I was using mistakenly noted the column in millions. So, about 2 trillion with inflation. Still, this war is far too costly for no good reason, which was my main point. Can anyone give me a good reason why we're even there?

~X
And no, comparing one war to another is not sick. War is sick, discussing them is healthy.
Can anyone give me a good reason why we're even there?

Oil. And if not oil, please someone tell me why else we would be there wasting all this money and loosing troops? So that Iraq can finally have a stable goverment? Yeah right.
9/11 conspiracy theories are clearly crap, but so is the idea that the war in Iraq wasn't at least partially motivated by oil and making profit for groups like Haliburton.

Then again, Bush is stupid enough to think that a 'humanitarian' war could work, despite seeing what Vietnam was like. Not first hand, of course.
*sigh* How in the hell did Bush even win the second round anyways? Kari, like him or not, would probably have done a hell of a lot better than Bush.

To answer your questions about why we are in Iraq right now... Idiocy. Bush is a war freak and would do anything to go down in the books of history. Yes, I'm sure he'll be there as well. However, the thing that surprises me the most is that the idiot can actually think like a normal human being. If you were to ask me, I'd say someone was giving Bush all these crummy ideas in the first place. *points to Bush's father*
Technically, Bush never won either election. He was appointed by the Supreme Court the first time, and results showed later that Gore had actually won. Voter fraud (people having thier votes switched by machines, telling black and hispanic people not to show up or they'd be arrested, DOS attacks on call-in centers for Democrats, that sort of thing) in Ohio and other places gave the win to Bush. 2004 was a lose-lose situation either way.

~X
Xooxer wrote:
Technically, Bush never won either election. He was appointed by the Supreme Court the first time, and results showed later that Gore had actually won. Voter fraud (people having thier votes switched by machines, telling black and hispanic people not to show up or they'd be arrested, DOS attacks on call-in centers for Democrats, that sort of thing) in Ohio and other places gave the win to Bush. 2004 was a lose-lose situation either way.

~X

The first election definitely never should have been his. However(in the second election), I'm not exactly sure that you can prove those things occurred or that they occurred on the magnitude needed to rig an election.

A lot of it sounds like liberal frustration/possible excuses.
Yeah, that's just what some oil-loving neo-con would say. ;D I can't personally verify the voter fraud (and neither can most people when it comes to electronic ballots, since only the programmers know what the program does, and it's not open-source), but just google 'voter fraud' and you should get plenty of hits from both sides of the isle.

~X
Wha? How could they let that happen. How could Gore let that happen. If i was Gore i would still be fighting till this day.
He's too busy with his "ManBearPig" theory to worry about losing(well...winning) an election.
Al Gore was never programmed to feel emotion. ;P
Killer22 wrote:
*sigh* How in the hell did Bush even win the second round anyways? Kari, like him or not, would probably have done a hell of a lot better than Bush.

To answer your questions about why we are in Iraq right now... Idiocy. Bush is a war freak and would do anything to go down in the books of history. Yes, I'm sure he'll be there as well. However, the thing that surprises me the most is that the idiot can actually think like a normal human being. If you were to ask me, I'd say someone was giving Bush all these crummy ideas in the first place. *points to Bush's father*

both of them were horrible. at that point it was a matter of picking the lesser of two evils.
You guys are all absolutely correct. We need to change the constitution so that the president cant declare war because a country wont scratch his back. We should change it so that we need some sort of approval from congress, so that a president can't declare war without consent from the representatives of the people.

Oh wait.
Yeah, the first election, Gore won the popular vote, but the electoral college nominated Bush (yay Florida! you don't know how to drive or vote!). During the second election, Bush won the popular vote over Kerry, but not by a very wide margin. Kerry was smart, but he wasn't as strong a person as Gore was, so I can see why the Republicans won even though I'm a little surprised they'd be willing to vote for Bush a second time in spite of his stunning resemblance to a chimpanzee.

I think the major problem with the bipartisan system is that you'll have your people who'll always vote Republican and you'll have your people who'll always vote Democrat, simply because they believe they are Republican or Democrat. You could put a trained monkey as the leader potential and they'd still get their party votes. I would put the numbers at about 40% of each -- the elections are decided by the remaining 20% of the voters who actually weigh the alternatives. In Canada, we have a similar problem but not on nearly as great a magnitude: a fair chunk of our population weighs the different parties. The only party which actually gets most of its votes from "vote for us because that's who you are" is the Bloc Québecois.
Im glad Gore isn't president. I firmly believe that Gore is insane, Gore as a president is just asking for trouble, and I fear what a democrat in office would have done after 9/11. Bush is doing a good job, the war is going good, and the economy is doing good.
Um... maybe you should look up the United States economy figures.

Or, compare the fact that the Canadian Dollar is now worth nearly 95 cents U.S., when before Bush was in office it was worth only 66 cents U.S..
Jtgibson wrote:
Um... maybe you should look up the United States economy figures.

Or, compare the fact that the Canadian Dollar is now worth nearly 95 cents U.S., when before Bush was in office it was worth only 66 cents U.S..

Which is inflation, and nothing more. So because the Canadian dollar is worth 50% more, the US economy is 50% smaller? It doesn't work that way.

US GDP Growth is amazing, considering the housing bust, Katrina, and the Iraq war, you could not ask for better economic figures.
Yeah the economy is actually doing very well assuming we tackle looming problems with the health care and social security systems.
Page: 1 2 3 4