ID:34724

Keywords: game
Once again I'm having trouble finding an old game that I used to enjoy. It's not Shadowdarke's Tanks!, but it's remarkably similar.

* The game is divided into hundreds of 16x16 tiles.
* The game features tanks as a central theme.
* Players join one of four teams (yellow, blue, green, red). Teams, however, matter very little. (Actually, after finding the link, it's Orange, Blue, Red, Purple.)
* Players lay minefields (which are invisible until run over).
* Mines are laid around your tank in a 3x3 pattern (with your tank excluded), meaning you can lay eight mines at a time. (Actually, you can lay mines on top of yourself or other people.)
* Turns are taken every few real time seconds. All players' turns are executed simultaneously. (Well, sort of. The game uses a round-robin style of execution which runs through every player in the game and takes their turn when it comes to them. So when shooting enemy tanks, tanks will trade shots instead of actually shooting simultaneously, but everyone gets the same amount of time to act every turn.)
* A turn consists of clicking on a destination to move, clicking on the Lay Mines button, or clicking on a target to fire at. After you've specified what you've wanted to do on your turn, you wait until the game executes your turn.
* Your tank has an infinite number of mines, but naturally it takes a whole turn to lay mines.
* You can use a Scanner to detect all mines on the screen.
* You can fire at any enemy mines you've detected.
* Armament consisted of guns and missiles, and possibly others that I can't remember.
* Missiles were obtained by running over "powerups" on the map. (Actually, you have to click-and-hold on the Equipment box and then you'll drive to it and get it.)
* Missiles could shoot over intervening terrain. Guns were limited to direct line of fire only.
* Tanks can sustain around five shots before being destroyed (player disappears and respawns on a random map tile a few turns later). (Actually, each hit you take drains fuel, and full tanks can sustain at least a dozen or so shots before they run out of fuel and are "deactivated".)
* Players could board little grey ferries which allow them to cross water. Ferries can be brought to shore. Ferries belong to no one and cannot be destroyed.
* The game forced players to use a canned set of responses, since it was intended for children and parents probably wouldn't feel comfortable having their children being exposed to the kinds of things that appear in Chat every day.
* The game was sandboxed in a proprietary (for the time) popup window.
* I think the game was Flash based, but it could have been Java based. (It's Java based.)

I've done a search for "Battlefield" (I believe that was its name) and "Tanks" but came up empty.

Anyone know what happened to this little gem? I wanted to play it again for old time's sake. It would also work very, very well in a BYOND context.

[Edit]: Thanks to Jon88 mentioning that it belongs to Bonus.com, he provided me with the link to the sequel, and now having the original provider's name in my arsenal I also found the first version.

"Battlefield 2: Rogue Battalions" is at:

http://www.bonus.com/en/b2/content/item.do?code=battle

The true original "Battlefield" is at:

http://www.playbattlefield.com/

Yay!
Jtgibson wrote:
I've done a search for "Battlefield" (I believe that was its name) and "Tanks" but came up empty.

You were correct, sir!

Battlefield at bonus.com: http://en.www.bonus.com/b2/content/item.do?code=battle

It's looks like it's a sequel, battlefield 2, but should be mostly the same.
Yep, that's the one.

I found a link to the original:

http://www.playbattlefield.com/battle/game/play.do

It's amazing what adding "bonus.com" to the search terms will do. I was trying "Tanks online multiplayer game mines ferry" and coming up with some things relevant to gaming, some things relevant to real-life war games, and a whole lot of things relevant to keyword-laden spam and phishing sites. =P
i love tanks still till this day loved testing better more pple lol like 30-40 on one server owned!!
Funny, I played that yesterday.