In response to ImmeasurableHate
ImmeasurableHate wrote:
Well to me if you want to get paid you better give 110%. Literally for pixel artist you better be around Zane's lvl if you want to get paid I see pixel artist that are not even better then me asking for money. And there are benefits for working on a game with out pay and thats testing ur skill. Pushing yourself to do whatever the guy wants u to do.

Very true.
You can push yourself on your own projects by working on something complicated but interesting.

If you take work from someone else, you basically enter a situation where there is a deadline on your work, someone is going to pester you about how its going, and you have to work on what you're told to work on rather than what you WANT to work on.

Why should someone do -your- work for you, for free?
ImmeasurableHate wrote:
Well to me if you want to get paid you better give 110%.

Or, you can provide an offer based upon the quality and amount of service said person brings to the table.

Literally for pixel artist you better be around Zane's lvl if you want to get paid I see pixel artist that are not even better then me asking for money. And there are benefits for working on a game with out pay and thats testing ur skill.

We all vary in skill level. No one expects you to pay a professional artist and an amateur the same amount. But because this skill is in demand, you can expect to pay some amount. Why should one offer their services for free to please you?
I once drew a stick.
I think expecting Zane444's level of skill is a little much. If I recall, he is inspiring to be a professional someday, and he may be a bit of a natural. Plus he works with more types of are than most, such as designing that one splash screen with full scale characters that I believe he drew.

Now, expecting his level of dedication? That'd be perfectly reasonable, and a skill level somewhat close to his may be fair as well. There are just too few people on BYOND at his level to say someone that matches his skill entirely, at least as far as I know.

Plus, what about games like NEStalgia? Something with a graphic style of that type doesn't necessarily need someone like Zane. It kind of depends on the projects art style.
.screw wrote:
Why should one offer their services for free to please you?

I believe that BYOND attracts very young people that cannot pay for things, so must ask (often not very well) for free art to be made for them, no matter the game or the creator's experience.

Edit: I'm not saying that offering is required, but it's always great when someone has an open heart to help someone else out.
^ He was just an example
If someone is good at art, they have better things to do than charity-work on fangames.

Yes, that may sound unpleasant, but seriously. You guys may have heard of "work," it's that unpleasant thing you have to do to live, where you give someone else your time to do something repetitive (because they say you should do it) when you really want to do something else.

That's what making someone make art for your game is; work.
Of course it's work. Lots and lots of very hard work to get a game going anywhere, even when using BYOND. I do 100% of the work on my games myself, learning nearly on my own. My post was talking about anyone willing to make a game, not necessarily just fangames.
In response to TheLionsRoar
TheLionsRoar wrote:
Of course it's work. Lots and lots of very hard work to get a game going anywhere, even when using BYOND. I do 100% of the work on my games myself, learning nearly on my own. My post was talking about anyone willing to make a game, not necessarily just fangames.

Exactly.
Because all the good ones are assholes.
Like^ 0.0
You have the right to like that, but I think it's wrong to believe such a thing. Plenty of people have listed plenty of good reasons why you may not of had any luck. Besides, I think I saw your ad, and if it's the one I am thinking of then it wasn't written in a way that would draw many if any in.

I also think I logged into the game once, and walked around a bit; if it's the one I'm thinking of. Making dinner so I don't feel like checking at the moment, lol. Anyway. If so, it looked like there would be a heavy work load, so that doesn't help make it more appealing either. Artists might fear being stuck doing it all on their own, since you may not end up with a whole team.
I ment Like as in like who l0l
Ah, my apologies then, lol. I'm so use to people being annoying, selfish, and such on here that I instantly took it the wrong way. Guess I better try to get over it, but the average BYOND community members are partly to blame too.
Cant argue with you there but mostly all the good pixel artist on here aren't assholes .-. so idk were he got that from lawl.
Lol im not as good of a pixel artist but i ain't an asshole. . . . . actually i don't think most of them pixel artist are assholes from what i've seen so far they are kind of nice. . .
^ arent u on vacation -.-
Lols i went to Wisconsin that doesn't mean i went on vacation xD.
hmm sure just ur excuse to not icon for me v.v fluckn iconners.
Page: 1 2 3 4