ID:79668

On a lighter note, the 80gig PS3 is now 299.
Why buy the fat, 80 gig PS3 when the $299 skinny, 120gb PS3 comes out in like 2 weeks?
impatience?
Meh, it "amuses" me of how the argument of fanboys (on various sites) went from "the ps3 costs too much" to "no backwards compatibility, do not want" shortly after the price cut announcement...
Mecha Destroyer JD wrote:
Meh, it "amuses" me of how the argument of fanboys (on various sites) went from "the ps3 costs too much" to "no backwards compatibility, do not want" shortly after the price cut announcement...

It was always an issue, its just until now the price has been a much bigger issue. There are tons of issues with the PS3 (and 360/Wii as well), but you'll find people focus on the biggest ones.
I'm not one to really go in for backwards compatibility. Its never been a deal breaker. However I was REALLY annoyed when I got it home, put in MGS3, and found out they'd actually gone as far as to remove all PS2 compatibility from the model I brought.

Personally I don't see why people are so excited about the PS3 Slim. Its obviously just an attempt to re-launch the console and keep the price up. What exactly is wrong with my PS3 that requires a hardware revision? Its not like the 360 where a Slim model would actually resolve a lot of issues.
Backwards compatibility is useless to me, as I have a perfectly good PS2 sitting on the shelf below the PS3.
Its obviously just an attempt to re-launch the console and keep the price up.

Actually, it's more an attempt to re-do the hardware so that the ps3 can produced cheaper (and thus sold cheaper). Xbox 360 revisions have done the same thing (along with deal with heating issues), they've just kept the same shape so far.
Its true that they're revising hardware to lower production costs, but like you say they can do it without making a Slim version. It just seems like a huge cop-out to cut production costs and then slap a bow on it so you can keep the RRP up as high as possible.
They went on and on about their 'ten year plan' and they're already releasing a Slim.
And on another note, the X-Box Handheld is also in the works.
They already announced that production cost on the original PS3 was cut by 70%. So I am going with ploy to make more money off of less.
Akiyo wrote:
They already announced that production cost on the original PS3 was cut by 70%. So I am going with ploy to make more money off of less.

Could it be? A company attempting to make money?
Alathon wrote:
Akiyo wrote:

Could it be? A company attempting to make money?

Those bastards!

Quick everyone, send Sony a message! Go out and buy an XBox 360!
DarkView wrote:

Personally I don't see why people are so excited about the PS3 Slim. Its obviously just an attempt to re-launch the console and keep the price up. What exactly is wrong with my PS3 that requires a hardware revision? Its not like the 360 where a Slim model would actually resolve a lot of issues.

You act like it's wrong to do this. You do know you're sending the message from something that used to be much, much larger, don't you?

IcewarriorX wrote:
You act like it's wrong to do this. You do know you're sending the message from something that used to be much, much larger, don't you?

I didn't buy this computer because it was smaller, I brought it because it was more powerful. At the very least I wouldn't expect HP to try and sell the same computer, for the same price, in a different case a year or two later.

I don't have anything against Sony trying to make money off a console. I just can't help but be insulted when they do something like this. Like gamers are too dumb too notice the price drop is just a sale to get rid of obsolete hardware. They could have at least waited until their latest attempt at motion control was ready to be packaged in.

Quick everyone, send Sony a message! Go out and buy an XBox 360!

Actually 360 does it as well. PS3 and 360 have both used new models to try and slow the price drops. Those I can chalk up to maximizing profits, but this crosses a line into just trying to milk chumps for everything they can.
I don't see how thats any different from laptops, where the price goes way up the smaller the screen size, despite the fact that the hardware actually gets worse at the same time.

The console is getting smaller, it takes up less space in the room. That may be insignificant to you, but it most definitely isn't for everyone; far from it.

The same thing can be said about cellphones. Or any other piece of electronic equipment, whether its something you carry with you or have permanently in your home.
Real men build their own PS3. *nods*
Tiberath wrote:
Real men build their own PS3. *nods*

Tiberath is now more win than evar. By the way, PS3 Slim? No..
Ps3 Slim Fails
Yeah uh they usually do this, why are people surprised? Looks ugly btw.
lol
Page: 1 2