Kalzar wrote:
And on a serious note, if you think fraternities are "a bunch of douchebags doing stupid shit" then you really are missing out and have no idea what you are talking about.

I'm sorry, did you completely miss the part in my initial message where I said: "I'm not entirely sure what a fraternity is" and possibly even "That's what television tells me, anyway", indicating a my acknowledgement of complete lack of knowledge on the subject?
Kalzar wrote:
And on a serious note, if you think fraternities are "a bunch of douchebags doing stupid shit" then you really are missing out and have no idea what you are talking about.

That's pretty much how it's always shown in the media, with a few exceptions (i.e., Revenge of the Nerds). If channel X in country Y always displays, say, Obama as a kitten-raping fucker who spouts fascist propaganda, and they don't have any other source of information, they really can only assume that he's a kitten-raping fucker who spouts fascist propaganda.
Meh. I am seriously over AIDs movies/plays. I love that Team America skewered Rent with the "Everyone Has AIDs" song.

Tiberath wrote:
The misconception that HIV and AIDS are only contractible by homosexuals is now another reason I push watching the aforementioned movie.

I'm pretty sure that that misconception went away in the 90s. It did over here anyway.
SilkWizard wrote:
Meh. I am seriously over AIDs movies/plays.

I've never really seen any. Outside of the standard educational videos in-between videos of women giving birth in a health class, I never saw any movies that predominately featured HIV/AIDs as a keynote, be them educational or not. Except for that one Tom Hanks movie, which title escapes my memory at this very second in time. But I saw that one a long time ago.

I love that Team America skewered Rent with the "Everyone Has AIDs" song.

I wasn't much a fan of Team america, granted I didn't catch all of it. I probably caught a particularly boring part of it, but I never pursued it.

I'm pretty sure that that misconception went away in the 90s. It did over here anyway.

I doubt it's been squashed completely. I believe stupidity is infectious, especially in younger generations (regardless of country), and all it takes is one misinformed person or idiot to spread the disease of naivety.
Which of the following poster below me watches movies like these for sadistic pleasures?
Tiberath wrote:
I'm not entirely sure what a fraternity is, outside of "a bunch of douchebags doing stupid shit". That's what television tells me, anyway.

That's the media depiction of it, usually, because a bunch of guys partying and doing stupid shit has a higher entertainment value than what fraternity brothers spend a majority of the time doing. Partying happens, but any college student is prone to partying, I think, regardless of any organizations they may or may not be a part of. Fraternities also take part in all kinds of philanthropic work.

As far as Kalzar saying "you're missing out," I agree, but sadly the Australian University structure is a bit different than it is here, and you guys don't have fraternities/sororities as far as I'm aware.
Missing Out is such a relative term. I don't see it that way, because I mostly like to avoid humans if I can get away with it.

I'm only comfortable in small groups, five to ten mostly. That's a key reason why I hate drinking at pubs on weekends and why I consider every nightclub everywhere to suck, a lot.
you shouldn't watch liftime so much
Kung Fu Panda was a better HIV/AIDS movie.
Page: 1 2