ID:996161

So I was very curious because I'm looking to host a BYOND RPG, if not more games in the future, and I was curious if buying a shell server is a good idea. These games would be original concepts, not based on anime, like majority of BYOND games. I know BYOND Panel is apparently a very great service to use, but I was curious to what exactly a BYOND server, or two, would require from the machine.

I know Ram is the biggest part with servers being able to host multiple players. (Though Upload Speed is important as well.) On how much ram can I host at least 50 players without lag? (Upload is 100 MB/S I assume)
It depends on the game, really. Things like pixel movement and dynamic lighting make the game much more intensive, for example. It's hard to give someone exact specs, because it ultimately depends on how well the game is programmed, how big it is, and what features it contains. The earlier two features being examples of ones that cause large differences.

Most people who do not run anime games do go with shell hosting now, though. Usually through BYOND Panel or Virpus I believe, but sometimes a couple others or more expensive ones.

Your best bet is to probably make a game, then refine it, optimize it, watch your profiling of it and what not; then just trial and error a bit. See how well you can get it running, how much it absolutely requires, and try to get something above that. Maybe even shift from server to server for a bit, like some games had to as they grew.