- Open a new instance of dreammaker
- Select File -> New Environment and give any name
- Click OK for default name (or specify, doesn't matter)
- paste this in below the template (below step_size)
- Select File, New, Select "Map File (.dmm)" from the DDL
- Specify "map" for the Name: input and click OK
No map errors and map loads fine (but blank) given this scenario
Alert dialog pops up with: "Due to compliation errors, the object tree cannot be trusted for map generation. These error must be corrected before editing the map."
After clicking OK, you get another alert dialog with: "Unable to read map.dmm" and you can click OK.
I'm left with artifacts because my .dm code is showing in the map window since BYOND did not repaint that window. As a new user, I could get pretty confused and scared off with such behavior. The workaround wasn't to add an icon with a grass state but to delete the "bad" map and add a new one. If you do these steps in just about any different order, you don't run into the issue so it is isolated and could be considered a corner case although, adding a turf as the first thing you do couldn't be that much of a stretch.