ID:1624180

Ball Fighter, 2009

I made it in YoYo Games and called it the most realistic 2D game ever. Post your first ever games, doesn't have to be on BYOND.
whynot.jpeg
Zombies!, 2010

I had made a few dozen Pokemon fan games and took up ownership of Pokemon Aurora for a bit beforehand, but this is the first game I made that I was actually proud of. Pretty much sparked the development of Feed.
Forsight 2009
I know I had a few "games" before this but this is my first published one.
If we're talking about the first game I made myself and published, then that'd be Megaman Files. That also happens to be the only full game I've published (unless you count Bit 0). I guess I took a liking to experimenting and making proof-of-concepts after that.

BYOND had a pretty thriving Megaman community some years back, and I hold firm that Megaman Files was the most well-designed and playable of the Megaman games at that time. However, it's pretty much a pile of trash. It's horribly designed, has no replay value, plays horribly, and the programming makes me want to vomit. Still, it was a joy to play and the community I managed to get was awesome.
In response to Fugsnarf
If you press "F" on the login screen you'll see your attack bullets being shot, haha.

As for my first game, I haven't released it yet but it's in the works and it's looking good :D Once I get the hub contents changed I'll be able to link it.
My first game was written in QBasic and I'm pretty sure it couldn't really be classified as a game, but I pretended like it was anyway :)
I must have made many games using balls and action figures and whatever I had on hand, like all kids do, but I think I remember the first game I made with the knowledge that I was making a physical artifact for others to play with.

The first game I remember was something of a train-wreck of Dragon Warrior and Shoots and Ladders. There was a spiral grid of tiles that you rolled a die to travel down, and you had to move forward or back depending on what you landed on. There were also random encounter tiles featuring monsters based on Dragon Warrior enemies, but I only remember various upgraded slimes (slime, evil looking slime, slime with sword and shield, etc). This was probably around 1990.

My first computer game was titled "Star Saver" and featured pixel art I made in a Mac program called Kid Pix. Mac made it very easy to change the icons of folders and to reposition them, so folders became my tiles (or 'turfs' in BYOND speak). The game was a tree of folders which looked like stars, comets, galaxies, and other astrological features, all nested within each other. One player had to take the satellite folder and hide it within the directory tree, and the other player had to find it within a set length of time (or else the satellite would shoot a laser beam that destroyed the earth, or something). This took place in 1995, I think.

My first game to include programming followed directly from my experience with Star Saver (and the greatly expanded, "Star Saver 2" which was more of an Elder Scrolls type experience - thousands of folders nested in one another). I wanted to create an RPG, but I couldn't do this with just a tree structure. I needed areas to link together - I needed cycles. So I learned how to use AppleScript. My first completed script was a boat. When you double clicked on the boat, instead of opening up into the contents of the boat, the script would close all previously opened windows and then open a folder in a completely separate part of the game's directory tree. Thus the player could move between continents in the game world. This was 1996.

At this time I was also playing with a game which allowed you to link together all sorts of weird pieces of junk in a 2D space, and they'd all interact via on/off wire connections. The result was a kind of graphical programming. The most robust graphical output provided was a screen which could show nothing or one of 5 symbols (circle, star, etc). I lined up five of these and made a sort of cockpit (three displays in front, two for left and right). I could store where a "space ship" was in 2D space, and you had to find it and shoot it down while it tried to do the same to you. As this included automation and moving images, this was my first video game.

Then my family got involved in a cult, and it was all Jesus and sin and stuff for a while.

In 2001 I got sick. In a way this was great because it kept me away from the cult, which was going through some sort of coup / change of leadership and eventually dissolved. I also graduated from highschool shortly thereafter. So at that point I was left to my own devices, and I learned how to program (in Javascript). In 2002 I made what I'd now call a demo: A webpage where a character from Final Fantasy 6 could walk around a map made of tiles and actually perform collision detection. Then I made a game called "The Mad Chef" which, though small, was playable from start to finish. My next game was equally small, called "Oggy" because it featured an Ogre (this was also George Gnome's first appearance). Then I started on a game called George Gnome's Secret Adventure (G.Gnome). If you've played Casual Quest, you've basically played G.Gnome. These were my first "real" video games, you could say, because I had to make the art, write code, and publish the game in some sort of stand-alone format.

In 2003 I joined BYOND to play a game called Dragon Warrior: Shadows of Erdrick. I had seen the engine before but wanted to focus on Javascript instead. Once I was playing it I got sucked into making something with it. TestActionGame used graphics from the Final Fantasy series for mobs, and G.Gnome graphics for turfs and objs. It was later renamed Peregrine City. This was my first game with BYOND, and the first time people outside my family played a game of mine.

Regressia was started in 2006, added to the hub in 2007, and was finally released for people to play in January of 2010. This is the first game I made which is polished from start to finish, and all original content. (Something I just realized: Regressia uses the same world map as my Mac RPG. In the Mac game, you start in Alderdale.)

I hope to have my Javascript reboot of Casual Quest finished by the end of the year. It will be the first game I've made since the full dissolution of the cult, my coming out to my family as an atheist, and my reboot of my life. I wonder what firsts that will bring?
In response to IainPeregrine
IainPeregrine wrote:
My first computer game was titled "Star Saver" and featured pixel art I made in a Mac program called Kid Pix.

Yes! I had forgotten the name of that program, but I remember playing around with it when I was a lot younger. Good times.
In response to Kumorii
Kumorii wrote:
whynot.jpeg
Zombies!, 2010

I had made a few dozen Pokemon fan games and took up ownership of Pokemon Aurora for a bit beforehand, but this is the first game I made that I was actually proud of. Pretty much sparked the development of Feed.

I loved pokemon auroa. I never could of figured out how they got that pokemon room to work, until i noticed they used map intancing.
I liked Aurora back when it was "Magma Red" and I was one of the first group of Enforcers where I was left alone to make my own complexes in a far off forest.
I wish it comes back, I want to be inside of a pokeball again. Kumorii do something. O.O
In response to Fugsnarf
Fugsnarf wrote:
IainPeregrine wrote:
My first computer game was titled "Star Saver" and featured pixel art I made in a Mac program called Kid Pix.

Yes! I had forgotten the name of that program, but I remember playing around with it when I was a lot younger. Good times.

Wow, Kid Pix. There's a lot of nostalgia looking back on that.
Kid Pix still exists, and it does 3D now. However the UI has just changed so much for me since 2002 that I don't want to download it.