ID:1827030

How should I design quick time events for my MMO? Need some ideas.
The time of quicktime events is probably over; they're a stale mechanic these days. I also submit they'd be poorly received in an online game where the server has to process the event, because lag is going to make them very frustrating, very fast.

You may, instead, want to setup more of a combo system where a series of keys that have no other use but for combos (or can be comboed with a modifier like shift/ctrl on) have to be activated in sequence before a certain move occurs. Unlike a quicktime event where it's pass/fail, this would be more of a one-time combo where it might say "Ctrl+QXD" and expect that combo to be entered. You might still have a failure timeout, but I'd make it long enough to make minor lag a non-issue.
The time of quicktime events is probably over; they're a stale mechanic these days.

I dunno, they still manage to make their way into some pretty decent games. They are still a mainstay in the first/third person action genre, but you almost never see them in 2D games.
In response to Ter13
They're there, but they're usually not particularly interesting, and it's easy to get bored of them if they're used repeatedly.
Referring to those scripted, predetermined, movie-like sequences anyway.
The idea can be done well otherwise, as Lummox mentioned, such as with combos and other time-sensitive actions that are part of fluid gameplay, such as dodging, charging and whatnot.
I actually mentioned combos as a way to avoid or reduce time-sensitivity, though. Without client-side processing the timing of any one key can be affected by lag. Sending multiple keypresses ought to have them come in in fairly quick succession (typically), yet still require skill on the player's part.

Though I think quick-time events are okay in general as long as they're more like reasonable-time events. I was just thinking of the God of War series, how later battles tend to get more time-sensitive and you have less time to respond to each event. In online gaming I think putting the events in a time crunch is a terrible idea.
In response to Lummox JR
Not that I'm for quick time events, but wouldn't it be feasible to do quick-time events client-side with the scripted GUI functionality that Dream Seeker and the webclient have?
In response to Lummox JR
I think quicktime events aren't a stale mechanic in themselves, but they're stale in the way that they're implemented. If they're a key feature of gameplay (like Legend of Dragoon) they can actually be pretty satisfying. It's just that most games tend to just chuck them at you at random for no apparent reason.
In response to Kaiochao
Kaiochao wrote:
Not that I'm for quick time events, but wouldn't it be feasible to do quick-time events client-side with the scripted GUI functionality that Dream Seeker and the webclient have?

DS's scripting functionality via the .winset command is very, very limited. The webclient however would be able to handle this much better.