ID:103260

Not Feasible
Applies to:Dream Maker, Dream Seeker and possibly the BYOND site

Implementing this feature is not possible now or in the foreseeable future
It would be a great idea to add in 3D game structure so that libraries for it aren't necessary... For example, to make a wall, you must specify a texture for each side of it to appear as, then specify its width and height. For the Camera, make a first person and behind shoulder view.

Make it flexible, an example of what BYOND could become is Roblox. Although instead of only containing 3D games it will contain 3D, 2D, ISO and Tile-Down. I know that this idea WILL definately take a long time to make, but it will bring loads more players to BYOND and will bring BYOND to its 3D stage.

Being a developer myself, I get kind of bored of Overhead and Isometric viewing, I do hope that my idea is implemented.

Thanks for listening,

Simcra
This has been suggested many, many times, and in all cases it was stated to be not worth it. 3D is an entirely different dimension that requires modelling, textures, and other things that would otherwise make the simplicity of BYOND jump to a new level.
LordAndrew wrote:
This has been suggested many, many times, and in all cases it was stated to be not worth it. 3D is an entirely different dimension that requires modelling, textures, and other things that would otherwise make the simplicity of BYOND jump to a new level.

Actually, http://byond.com/members/forum_account

Metamorphman wrote:
Actually, http://byond.com/members/forum_account

Without major changes to just about everything, that would basically just provide a new camera mode.
Though, if it was implemented properly, it should at least be applicable to all existing games. Unlike the worthless update that was ISO.
Falacy wrote:
Without major changes to just about everything, that would basically just provide a new camera mode.
Though, if it was implemented properly, it should at least be applicable to all existing games. Unlike the worthless update that was ISO.

You didn't even read the post. The whole point of the post was to highlight how easy it would actually be to implement something like this. And look at the comments, Tom says it's actually feasible.

Also, ISO isn't worthless. I can't see how you figure that one out.

Metamorphman wrote:
You didn't even read the post. The whole point of the post was to highlight how easy it would actually be to implement something like this. And look at the comments, Tom says it's actually feasible.

I read it, quite a while ago when it was first posted in relation to lighting.
What he is asking for there would, yes, be 3D. However, it would be purely visual 3D - in the form of a new camera mode, as I said. Without major changes to everything, designing a game that actually had 3D gameplay elements to it would still be nearly impossible. The map editor would need to be completely redesigned, new variables would need to be added to just about everything for just about everything, major improvements and/or additions would also need to be made to just about everything... A simple 3D camera mode may be possible, if not probable, but having an actual 3D game/design engine is a far step beyond that.

Also, ISO isn't worthless. I can't see how you figure that one out.

A. It provided nothing for existing games.
B. It broke countless things, several of which still aren't back up to par.
C. All it does is slightly change the viewpoint, and barely anyone has even bothered to use it. Not to mention that view change was do-able ourselves.
D. The tools to work in ISO mode weren't even modified or improved. Its basically the exact same everything as tile mode - but with a different map angle.