They pay a fuck ton for the rights to the license holders, or the license holders contact these smaller companies to produce something for them given their merit (or maybe they're a sub-company of the main branch).

I don't mean to really insult you, but I doubt they the license holders are going to give jack shit about someone who thinks $500 is a huge expense given your current financial situation.
In response to TheDarkChakra
TheDarkChakra wrote:
Maybe I can make a deal with HXH license holders?

You won't.
After reading what Vrocaan and Enigmatic wrote just now, you know what I thought? Why do these big companies CARE so much about what a small meaningless company like Byond do? So what if they have(had) plenty of dbz games? It doesn't hurt the license owners and really does nothing but have fans playing their favorite games. That actually might interest some younger kids who never watched dbz to watch and to buy the DVDs so its more money to the license owners.
Because, no matter how insignificant, it's still their IP, which you or anyone else has no right to use without their consent.
Just so you know, you're not representing BYOND and BYOND isn't representing you (unless they list you, which is why you'll be removed with a C&D).

They care because they don't make money off of it and they own the intellectual property.

If someone was using your face, name, identity to make millions of dollars, you'd complain.

Now put that into the perspective of thousands of people trying to rip off the same IP brand... If each of those thousands of people ripping off the IP brand have the potential to make 10 - 100 dollars each, that's 10,000 - 100,000 dollars total in lost potential revenue.
I wouldn't go so far as to call BYOND a full-fledged company, but I "guess" it is one. By the way, you know why the actually care? Because of money transactions. I work at a place where I have to request copyright releases from people all the time if they are trying to purchase items that have a potential for copyright infringement. It "hurts" the copyright owners, and the business that hosts the infringer, if a monetary transaction takes place between the consumer (the player) and the hoster (BYOND essentially, not really the game owner). BYOND takes a cut of the money from subcriptions, in term they are making some profit off of what they really reaaaally do not own. If the game in choice uses their own PayPal, well, PayPal takes a cut, so that could screw them over. But PayPal has the lawyers to say fuck that. However, even if all the money goes to the person using the copyright material, that really leaves them liable for a good old legal gangbang.

But wait, there is more! What if they are not profiting off of the copyright material! Well, you are then misrepresenting the actual license holders by "appearing" to be part of their IP, even if you are a fan game.

If it isn't creative commons, get the rights or get the fuck out.
This makes me think.
TheDarkChakra wrote:
This makes me think.

A phrase rarely echoed through these aged halls.
Why spend money to create a fan game?
In response to Ganite
Ganite wrote:
Why spend money to create a fan game?

Because OP probably can't think of his/her own game concept to create and the majority of people on BYOND love fan games, no matter how poorly programmed and moderated they are..
No one will touch Eternia's level when it comes to developmental costs.
In response to King_LiOnZ
King_LiOnZ wrote:

Eternia's development costs are extremely low, actually, when compared to projects of the same genre--I was fortunate enough to work with talented, and most importantly, cost effective artists, that allowed me to put together a relatively small world. Since release, the subscription system has pretty much funded the game. I'm not quite sure, but I think that it's made back everything I put into it (maybe $5k or so) in under a year. That's impressive, in my opinion, considering that the game itself is far from fantastic at this stage.

I'm sure that if someone has the knowledge to make a good game in BYOND, and the drive to complete it, that investing up to $20'000 isn't unreasonable. Over the years they're going to make it all back and more, probably, considering BYOND's current selection of games (tens of thousands of users without much of anything to play). And that's excluding external marketing too, which obviously would play a much bigger part if done right.
Wow so far it looks like for this demo I will have to pay $130 now!! I am seriously going to work on improving my pixel art. I can't keep losing so much money.
TheDarkChakra wrote:
Wow so far it looks like for this demo I will have to pay $130 now!! I am seriously going to work on improving my pixel art. I can't keep losing so much money.

You have learned little.
In response to Vrocaan
That's not true. I realizes this is no money, this is nothing. But I still can't afford this.
It's always good to get a quote from a range of artists on your asset list before shelling out cash, especially if you're working with a very restricted budget.
What is a quote?
TheDarkChakra wrote:
What is a quote?

An estimate of what you will pay with that given artist.
In response to Writing A New One
Writing A New One wrote:
King_LiOnZ wrote:

Eternia's development costs are extremely low, actually, when compared to projects of the same genre--I was fortunate enough to work with talented, and most importantly, cost effective artists, that allowed me to put together a relatively small world. Since release, the subscription system has pretty much funded the game. I'm not quite sure, but I think that it's made back everything I put into it (maybe $5k or so) in under a year. That's impressive, in my opinion, considering that the game itself is far from fantastic at this stage.

I'm sure that if someone has the knowledge to make a good game in BYOND, and the drive to complete it, that investing up to $20'000 isn't unreasonable. Over the years they're going to make it all back and more, probably, considering BYOND's current selection of games (tens of thousands of users without much of anything to play). And that's excluding external marketing too, which obviously would play a much bigger part if done right.

I ment when it came to BYOND games.
Those iconners were very cheap and YET I have to pay $130. If they were more expensive I would have to pay $500 for a Demo. Maybe $2000 for a whole game.
Page: 1 2 3