ID:134398

world.Export() can currently be used to facilitate client-side processing of a multiplayer game. This can be done most effectively by sending information to a central server and parsing the returned data to sync individual game clients with the server (e.g. - Vengeance 56). This works fine except that Export() seems to have a high failure rate; often, exported packets don't even reach the server. My current solution is to force reconnections when the stable connection is lost (how long since last returned Export()?), but I've recently thought of a better way:

Allow DS clients to form a direct connection to a hosted game without actually joining the game.

And by this I literally mean use BYOND's default networking protocol to reliably send information via a system like Export() from one server to another. It would require a simple connection protocol plus a way to make sure the connection is being maintained. The client never actually has to log in to the game, so no new clients need to be made on the server side. The two instances of DS/DD would remain completely independent except for the underlying connection between them.

The most important feature of this system is that 100% of the exported information is received by the server. It becomes increasingly more difficult to play a multiplayer game using Export() as less exported information is received by the server.

Finally, an alternative Export() proc could be added that only uses the direct connection and otherwise functions just like Export() (calling Topic() in the server).

End Result: client-side processing of a hosted multiplayer BYOND game
I will like this feature also, since Vengeance 56 uses client-side, you do not receive the information a lot of times which makes you lose connection. I could also use this feature because I have tried client-side before but my information does not always send. If the feature Gakumerasara is suggesting could be added it would reduce the loss of connection and I think we would see a little more client-side games on BYOND. I think this would be a good addition on either the next BYOND update or 4.0.

->Calus CoRPS<-
This was requested some time ago, I don't know if anyone really remembers. However I would also love this as it'd assist me in a few past projects I've been waiting to get moving again due to limitations here and there. My own little "Nexus" engine tries to do this but due to there being no persistance connections between clients in BYOND due to security reasons in the past, it is hard to pull off.
In response to Calus CoRPS
I've been working with that system since version 323, and believe me, it's not improved much. I have been told there is an update being kicked around, but it's been asked a thousand times.