ID:135242

Please note that this is NOT meant as a personal insult to Vakir. His library, on the other hand...

How could this slip through the cracks and get published?!?

First of all, "Lag Guard" as Vakir means it is quite frankly impossible, or at least has never been done before. I think that the best explanation of this comes from Spuzzum:

"There's no such thing as a lag guard. Lag is caused by three things:

One; too many calculations at a time on the server's end. This is referred to as "server lag". Space Station 13 has this problem because every second, it calculates the spread of gases between each and every tile on the world map (yes, even on map levels where no such gases exist). The only way to fix server lag is to perform fewer calculations per second -- in other words, not perform calculations. No lag protection program can do that and still retain the same game functionality.

Two; a long distance between the server and the client, with servers along the way which happen to be bogged down from many other users. This is referred to as "transmission lag". This is completely unavoidable -- the only way to fix this problem is to somehow find an alternate path along the internet. No such technology exists, and if Vakir had made it, Bill Gates himself would probably be amazed.

Three; a slow computer on the client's end. This is "client lag". This isn't actually as big of a problem as people make it out to be. BitBlt, BYOND's drawing routine, is provided by the Win32 API and is horribly slow. However, BitBlt only really lags when using a pixel mask (that is, when some parts of an icon are transparent). In other words, having a moving background in SS13 doesn't cause any really appreciable client-side lag, because the icons aren't being layered above other static icons. Unless Vakir has hacked BYOND and rewritten the vast majority of Dream Seeker's code to take advantage of OpenGL or some other more efficient drawing routine, the lag guard has no effect there either.

In other words, Vakir is full of crap. The only conceivable thing he could be doing is increasing or decreasing world.tick_lag when the CPU count begins to get high. In that case, he's only really making it such that the server deliberately slows down when heavy calculations are being made. This obviously doesn't make anything faster."
-- Spuzzum

When that post was made, Vakir hadn't updated. Now, instead of being full of crap, his library is also chock-full with bad coding!

Vakir is using "..()" to mean "do nothing" too. <_<

Please, somebody do something about this.
Maybe he is preventing somthing of a different deffenition of lag. Like Lag meaning DBZ Noobie lovers. In which case I would love to implement in my game :P.

*dances*

Mod edit: Green Lime, please don't quote the entirety of long posts for no reason. Thanks. --Crispy
I KNOW WHAT TO DO.

Don't use it if you have that many problems with it.

Case Closed.
In response to Pennywise99
He was trying to inform the community of its flaws and "false advertisement". I also think that these points were brought up...awhile ago.
In response to Pennywise99
Pennywise99 wrote:
I KNOW WHAT TO DO.

Don't use it if you have that many problems with it.

Case Closed.

The problem isn't this though, so much as it is the people who think this will magically solve all looping problems in their games download it and waste server bandwith. Much like this thread.
In response to N1ghtW1ng
N1ghtW1ng wrote:
He was trying to inform the community of its flaws and "false advertisement".

Actually, he said he was trying to bring up the fact that junk slipped through the cracks. Perfectly reasonable thing to do, though I think there is a place for that sort of thing to send to the Byond administrators.
In response to Loduwijk
Well then, I'll take down the library if it doesn't do anything. Case Closed.
In response to Vakir
Vakir wrote:

Thanks, Vakir. BTW, sorry if the post seemed mean, it wasn't meant as a personal insult or anything.
In response to Wizkidd0123
Neither was mine (which was on the SS13 forums) intended to be, really. But since you often can't convince half of the SS13 players of something without beating open a hole in their skulls and then pouring it in with a funnel, I used a level of according directness. =P
In response to Spuzzum
Spuzzum wrote:
Neither was mine (which was on the SS13 forums) intended to be, really. But since you often can't convince half of the SS13 players of something without beating open a hole in their skulls and then pouring it in with a funnel, I used a level of according directness. =P

That's why I play Deadly Waters instead; better community. lol
In response to Vakir
Vakir wrote:

It's still up...