ID:137946

man, it would be so cool, if byond had the feature for text overlays like icon overlays,
most online rpg's have this feature,
i doubt that byond could go as far as to make text in which the player types appear on the screen, but at least a click on a mob would display his name and his level on the screen, a sample code i thought up would be this

mob
Look()
set src in oview(3)
src.txtoverlays += ("statstext","Name:[src.name] Level:[src.Level]")
spawn(20)
src.txtoverlays -= "statstext"

Format:
to add one
trg.txtoverlays += ("name the txtoverlay","the text to be displayed")

to take away one
trg.txtoverlays -= "name of the txtoverlay"

thats just my idea, maybe you could have a better one

<^>FIREKING<^>

</<></<>
On 6/2/01 12:05 pm FIREking wrote:
man, it would be so cool, if byond had the feature for text overlays like icon overlays,
i doubt that byond could go as far as to make text in which the player types appear on the screen, but at least a click on a mob would display his name and his level on the screen, a sample code i thought up would be this

mob
Look()
set src in oview(3)
spawn(20)

Format:
to add one

to take away one

<font color=red><x><</x><font color=orange><x>^</x><font color=yellow><x>></x><font color=darkred>F<font color=red>I<font color=orange>R<font color=yellow>E<font color=yellow>K<font color=orange>I<font color=red>N<font color=darkred>G<font color=yellow><x><</x><font color=orange><x>^</x><font color=red><x>></x>

</font>
Im kinda working on a library for doing something like this but it requires tons of iconstates for each icon of a letter.

mob
Look()
set src in oview(3)
spawn(20)

Format:
to add one

to take away one

<font color=red><x><</x><font color=orange><x>^</x><font color=yellow><x>></x><font color=darkred>F<font color=red>I<font color=orange>R<font color=yellow>E<font color=yellow>K<font color=orange>I<font color=red>N<font color=darkred>G<font color=yellow><x><</x><font color=orange><x>^</x><font color=red><x>></x>

</font>
In response to Ebonshadow
it would be better if it was built in,
they probably have more power to do it then we would

<font color=red><x><</x></font><font color=orange><x>^</x></font><font color=yellow><x>></x></font><font color=darkred>F</font><font color=red>I</font><font color=orange>R</font><font color=yellow>E</font><font color=yellow>K</font><font color=orange>I</font><font color=red>N</font><font color=darkred>G</font><font color=yellow><x><</x></font><font color=orange><x>^</x></font><font color=red><x>></x></font>
I believe this was mentioned as a goal when they changed the mouseover from putting the target's name in the map window to putting it in the status bar.

mob
Look()
set src in oview(3)
spawn(20)

Format:
to add one

to take away one

</font>
On 6/2/01 12:40 pm Ebonshadow wrote:

mob
Look()
set src in oview(3)
spawn(20)

Format:
to add one

to take away one

</font>

yea, me & darkness was workin on a code to do that as well but there to maney damn leters in our alphabet heh. then about 30 states for each so you can say something. this would take a wile. The code part does not seem that hard though. but it would be nice to have it inbuit into byond.
In response to Xzar
On 6/2/01 3:13 pm Xzar wrote:
yea, me & darkness was workin on a code to do that as well but there to maney damn leters in our alphabet heh. then about 30 states for each so you can say something. this would take a wile. The code part does not seem that hard though. but it would be nice to have it inbuit into byond.

yeah your right, the code would actually be really easy. I was doing it so each letter was 8x8 and it still took forever to draw 4 letters though.
yeah your right, the code would actually be really easy. I was doing it so each letter was 8x8 and it still took forever to draw 4 letters though.

I have a speech bubble library that actually fills a speech bubble with letters from the alphabet (up to eight letters). If the width of the text exceeds the width of the bubble, it'll scroll the bubble.

But it's far from finished. The icon part isn't all that hard in my opinion, just repetitive; once you have the letters all done (which took me about 30 minutes) it's just a matter of saving the icons to a new file, and then bumping them over a couple pixels, to make up the other positions.

In my case, the major difficulty is getting it to scroll. It's rather doable... (and, if I want to be immodest, I almost certainly have enough skill to do it). Problem is, I have other interests at this time, like Haven and AntWorld.

(Oh, my letters were 3x5, with room below for characters with portions that drop below the current line (that is, g, q, y, p, and j). Very easy to draw, just problematic when it comes to aligning them properly.)