ID:1510230

Problem description:
I want to create a more optimal way to handle turfs in mass quantity. Right now, if I want a huge field of sand, I would have to just fill a block that size and have each individual tile be covered with a sand turf. BYOND never has been a very demanding engine, especially because of its age, but why have all those blocks when you could just have one turf instance?

Here's a demonstration of what I mean(My Paint skills are awesome):

http://imgur.com/a/rsq7R

I understand you could individually create several sizes of each turf in the code, but no developer can be hassled to do that. So, does anyone here know how to do this, if it's even possible?
I believe this was added with isometric support.

Under the map format entry:
In BYOND 4.0 a new feature was introduced for using "big" icons, bigger than the standard tile size, by splitting them up into states like "0,0", "1,0", and so on. This functionality is no longer needed since BYOND now has the ability to display icons in their natural size. The new 'default' format (since 4.0) is the map_format that supports this.

Under atom/movable, you have the following:

bound_x
bound_y
bound_width
bound_height

These allow you to set the physical width/height and location in relation to the icon, so that you can still trigger the movement procs.
The world is made up of a grid, where the size of each cell/tile/turf is defined by world.icon_size. You can't have turfs of different sizes because then it wouldn't be a grid, and the coordinate system wouldn't make sense.

Turfs can have icons of different sizes, but there would still be turfs underneath it. I suppose you could give the covered turfs null icons and see if that helps.