ID:151643

Creating client-sided games on BYOND is not a bad idea. With SQL, I can create a chat application without hosting the game with Dream Daemon. Once a user starts the application, the application will register him to the database. Then the application can interact with others who are also in the 'online' table.

The only thing I feel bad about this is that my application will never be marked 'Now live' on BYOND's Game list.

What do you guys suggest?
Jemai1 wrote:
With SQL, I can create a chat application without hosting the game with Dream Daemon.

What do you mean by this? Instead of using Byond for a server, you would use a database, and client worlds would make remote connections to the database for a list of IP addresses of everyone else that's on?

Why would you want to do that? If I'm understanding you correctly, it seems a bit silly. First of all, it seems unnecessary to make clients all host a single-user application just for a chat application. Then, why wouldn't you just make the server world a normal Byond world?

It just seems to me like you're trying to hammer a nail in with a broom handle. What you have can work, but it doesn't need to be that complicated.

The only thing I feel bad about this is that my application will never be marked 'Now live' on BYOND's Game list.

This part I can understand, and it applies to more than just the chat example.

In the case you were talking about with the database thing, you could solve the problem by hosting a Byond world that does nothing more than connect to the database itself, or link() players with a url that will start their client world.

If you set up a game that is just client to client and you have no server (not even an odd SQL thing you mentioned), then you will probably want to set up a server just for clients to tell "Hey, we're doing a game over here."

You need some kind of server if you want people to see that something is there.
Yeah, client sided games are actually very simple with BYOND. One way around the dilemma is hosting a server that only links you to the game, though. Or do something like Vengeance 56 does, maybe.