ID:152465

What kind of future technologys would you think realisticly you would see in future warfare. My ideas are something like Nanites that dissasemble weapons and strutures and weather controlers i need some ideas.
1) Dispense with the common laser beam pistol as a weapon. It would not work in the Star Wars style.

2) For energy weapons, you want something plausible. a lightning gun that fires arcs of electricity is fairly scientifically sound.

3) Weapons that auto-target their progectiles are possible. Bullets may eventually be mini guided missiles.

4) Chameleonic armor is already scientifically possible, though current miniaturization still is too bulky for the job.

5) Med-packs with nanotech medicine could one day exist.

6) Nanotech repair of vehicles could also eventually work.

7)Contact-hardening, explosion resistant epoxy (glue cement) could be loaded into exploding shells and used to immobilize large swaths of troops.

That's what I've got now. Maybe later I'll suggest more.

--Vito
Shiny buttons, thin and small computers, lazers, wicked looking spaceships, aliens and their probes, robotic animals

and...um... a Nintendo Wii besides an Xbox 360 and a PS3 XD

- GhostAnime
Jet

Packs

You know you want to ;)

In response to DarkCampainger
Hmm some interesting ideas but we all hear about Nano-Tech here and there since it will have a large amount of uses in the military but what else Gigantic mechs... This is not GW

Jet Packs

Jet packs have been proposed before in realife but like before but the size of the equiptment has stop it since the parts are too large so i'll think about this one.

Weapons that auto-target their progectiles are possible. Bullets may eventually be mini guided missiles.

I've heard something about this i think its called point-defence?
Who cares about realistic? Fun > realism ;-)

But to stay on topic:

Sonic weaponry: Some nasty stuff. Variable frequencies and intensities can cause everything from disorientation to loss of muscular (and bowel!) control to death (usually from rupturing the inner ears).

Photon (flash) weaponry: Basically large pulses of light. Good for diorientating foes. Can also be used to induce permanent eye injury.

EMP weaponry: Currently in use. Used to disable electronics and hardware. Limited applications currently, as much of the world still uses obsolete technologies.

SHVP weaponry: Super High Velocity Projectile weaponry. Your basic rail gun stuff. Basically, super accelerated bullets.

Radiation weaponry: Lethal to humans, harmless to structures and largely ignores armor, cover, etc. Currently used in neutron weaponry.

Laser weaponry: Used to disable ICBMs and guidance systems. Severe limitations due to atmospheric intereference.

Practically, most wars will be fought as they havve been for some time. The bombs may be a little bigger and the missiles more accurate, but there will still need to be ground force support. Air strikes and missile are primarily useful against less developed foes who lack sophisticated anti-air protections. They encounter problems with dug in and heavilly fortified sites. Which means you go back to infantry and armor. Of course armor often has problems with terrain....
In response to Vito Stolidus
Vito Stolidus wrote:
1) Dispense with the common laser beam pistol as a weapon. It would not work in the Star Wars style.

*puts on his Wookiee suit*

Star Wars doesn't use lasers. It uses blasters, which shoot balls of plasma contained within little forcefields. When the field hits a target, it gets disrupted and the plasma ball, through momentum, impacts the target. (A particularly interesting way of noting this is how the blaster bolt ricochets in the cantina. The cantina was built out of the hull of a junker with a blaster-shielded hull, like almost all Star Wars spacecraft have.)

Of course, now, Lucas wants to make this effect less gruesome than it was originally, by minimising the look of flames and smoke around the entry wound. Because apparently, he didn't get the lethality of a ball of 10,000-Kelvin gas correct the first time. =P

*takes off his Wookiee suit*

Laser weapons are actually entirely feasible, but the important thing to note is that energy is not free. A laser weapon, assuming battery packs become more powerful and efficient in the future, would offer comparable operational life per "clip" as a standard projectile-throwing pistol. A standard slug thrower is obviously cheaper and thus a better choice for most battlefield situations as a result. Batteries and focusing elements are expensive.

However, aboard a space station, you'd much rather be shooting an insubstantial bolt through an exterior window, incidentally etching a small portion of the surface of the glass, than busting straight through it with a very substantial bullet. A concentrated high-intensity infrared beam would probably only turn a metal panel red hot, as well, so it would be relatively safe versus hull penetration.

The thing that you should debunk about fiction-realm lasers is their ability to blast easily through solid metallic objects. It wouldn't happen unless one of those beams could slice through a person as if they weren't there. If they weren't that powerful, they'd only be good against soft targets (like humanoids and fibreglass passenger cars).
Laser pistols seem more plausible than "mini guided-missile bullets"
If you are going to go into Nanites, than stick with it. They are the ultimate weapon. So small they can't be seen, capable of replicating themselves, capable of killing a human without being seen(They could do things like jam the heart), potentially leaving the scene of the crime afterwards.

There are some problems with mobility in nanites. They are small, really small, so they can't move fast or far, unless they travel in very large groups(Forming a wheel or something).

As for weapons. Light, Noise, and Projectile weapons should all be available. Lasers have many uses, including causing very fast damage that is almost impossible to outrun, but can be shielded easy. Sonic weapons are very powerful at disabling humans, but do almost no damage to things that don't live. Projectiles are hard to avoid, and have limited forms of shielding that actually do anything. The idea of mini-guided projectiles is a good one, but they would be VERY expensive and impractical for use close combat warfare(If it is going slow enough to do much tracking in 100 feet, it is probably going slow enough to avoid)
In response to Loduwijk
Not with current minituization trends. Laser pistols would need some kind of high-power, light-weight powerpack, which is not possible at this time.

With guided bullets, we're talking "the bullet turns to hit the target with a little pair of rudders and a guidance computer" not "The bullet will hunt out the target wherever it is and magically stay in the air while it's following the target around several hairpin turns," mind you.

--Vito
Yes but with every weapon there is a defence for it like after WW2 nobody was safe but they are now with the idea of a SDI. But i really think it depends on what era the technology is.
Vito Stolidus wrote:
Laser pistols would need some kind of high-power, light-weight powerpack, which is not possible at this time.

Neither are the guided bullets. You can't hold them to different standards.

Even then, fitting guided ammunition like you describe into a small handgun is probably just as far off as as having the small high-yield batteries for laser guns, if not farther.

The military already has laser technology that fits into a vehicle which tracks incoming artillery shells and is powerful enough to destroy them before they reach their targets. Laser handguns would need to be much less powerful.
In response to Loduwijk
They also have guided artillery, capable of adjusting it's path over 30 degrees in flight with an accuracy of under 10 yards! It also has a much higher angle of drop(allowing it to hit a small building in the middle of a lot of large ones). Both the guided projectiles and the powerful lasers require entire vehicles to power and run, so I would say that are on par with each other in usefulness.

Depending on what type of game it is, microwaves can be a good weapon. Red Alert 2 had microwave tanks which would melt people in its line of target and could kill the people in tanks. It was a really fun tank to play with.
http://www.americanantigravity.com

A cool place to get inspiration for ideas on future tech.
In response to D4RK3 54B3R
EMP guns like on time splitters future perfect where you have a gun that fires EMPS
In response to Danial.Beta
There are some problems with mobility in nanites. They are small, really small, so they can't move fast or far, unless they travel in very large groups(Forming a wheel or something).

I'd like to call you out on that one- nanites are small and that's why they can move fast and far. They can travel on the wind through air, in rivers and water sources and through veins.
In response to Elation
Elation wrote:

I'd like to call you out on that one- nanites are small and that's why they can move fast and far. They can travel on the wind through air

Oh! Like those baby spiders that make a parachute out of web! Heh, one windy day a whole group of them, probably like 50, got caught on my mom's car. Heh, that freaked her out xD

Personally, I think a physics gun would be awesome. Dropping large blocks of cement on your enemies or throwing them at eachother ^_^