ID:154518

Hey, here's an interesting technique I developed while working with ways of making wizardry-from-afar in LexyMUD... make an item, say a crystal ball or scrying pool. Now give it a verb: scry(name as text)

Make it search the player list for a player with that name... then have it pop up a statpanel with the line:

stat(that player)

You've got your own little window onto your chosen victim! In an animation-sparse game like LexyMUD, this isn't particularly interesting to watch, but if the game does have a lot of animations/different icons, you could see what the character is doing. You could stat other lines in the same window, to give you a description of their condition, location, etc. Also: if you have verbs that can be targeted on any mob, not just one in view... you'll still need some sort of medium through which to select them. Scrying on someone could let you use such a verb from afar.
You've got your own little window onto your chosen victim! In an animation-sparse game like LexyMUD, this isn't particularly interesting to watch, but if the game does have a lot of animations/different icons, you could see what the character is doing.

Clever! I'll have to file that away in my mind somewhere...
On 7/1/01 3:28 pm LexyBitch wrote:
stat(that player)

Una does this with the Spy card. Although probably not quite in the same vein you were thinking of.

But this brings up an interesting feature idea for BYOND 3.x. What if you could have multiple "portals" or views into the world, much like you can have multiple statpanels now? Kinda like different channels on a TV, actually. Switch between them with tabs at the top of the window just like with statpanels. Now you could literally watch your victim, including his/her interactions with other things in the world, even from afar.

I don't see any reason why it couldn't be done as a fairly simple feature upgrade (not now, of course!). BYOND would just need to know what the "eye" is for each portal - a mob, obj, turf, etc. Of course it would only need to send data for one portal at a time (whichever is visible), just like statpanels. Unless somebody wants a picture-in-picture feature (simultaneous viewing of multiple portals)...

Any other uses of this come to mind?
In response to Air Mapster
On 7/2/01 1:04 pm Air Mapster wrote:

But this brings up an interesting feature idea for BYOND 3.x. What if you could have multiple "portals" or views into the world, much like you can have multiple statpanels now? Kinda like different channels on a TV, actually. Switch between them with tabs at the top of the window just like with statpanels. Now you could literally watch your victim, including his/her interactions with other things in the world, even from afar.

I don't see any reason why it couldn't be done as a fairly simple feature upgrade (not now, of course!). BYOND would just need to know what the "eye" is for each portal - a mob, obj, turf, etc. Of course it would only need to send data for one portal at a time (whichever is visible), just like statpanels. Unless somebody wants a picture-in-picture feature (simultaneous viewing of multiple portals)...

If Dantom allows us to use tables in statpanels, we could produce this effect by displaying a location and the surrounding turfs within the table. (Would have to do something about the names though...) I remember a discussion about tables in statpanels before, but I can't recall if it became part of the List.
In response to Air Mapster
On 7/2/01 1:04 pm Air Mapster wrote:

It's long been in the back of my mind to do some kind of capital space ship combat -- big ships fighting each other, probably each running locally on the player's machine, talking to each other through client-server communication.

As part of this, being able to flip between a view from the front of the ship to the back or the bottom would be interesting.