ID:154544

Instead of having generic "strikes" or "misses" messages, or just weapon-specific ones, I'm giving each mob list vars called attacks, defends, misses, and so on... they contain text strings that are a variety of different combat related actions... the combat proc picks from among them to choose the text it outputs, making each battle different and exciting for the people who like to read them. The actual effect on the game is nil, for people who don't want to read the scrolling text, they just have to look at the part that says what damage is done.

Items also have potential combat actions. If you're using an item (weapon, shield, etc.), it simply adds them to the mix, but won't necessarily over-write your own combat actions. The style of combat I'm trying to create is action TV show/movie, where a hero might stop a swinging axe with his or her hand and follow up with a sword slash, or catch the axe with the sword and lash out with a fist or kick.

Weapons aren't going to have an actual damage dice value like in many RPGs. Instead, if you are using a weapon, it will add some general bonuses to your combat abilities, and the cosmetic change, above. Damage is somewhat abstract in this game, anyway... there's some degrees of injury, but basically, you're either hurt badly, or you're not.

Same thing for skills. If you study martial arts or boxing, you'll get some different (fancier) actions showing up in combat. If you study acrobatics, then your character will begin doing leaps, flips, and hand-stands. Again, the specific maneuvers are purely cosmetic effect... the skills will just give you combat bonuses.

You'll be able to see a basic version of this system, when I run the first test of my textMUD, hopefully tonight (Sunday night.)
Sounds good. One comment on the random messages for battle actions, which probably won't be a danger for you but I'll mention it: it's entirely possible to come up with messages that make sense most of the time, but seem really wacky in certain contexts.

Two GemStone examples:
A message indicates that I have pierced the opponent's palm. But the opponent is a giant rat, and the weapon is a war hammer.

A message indicates that my magic fire weapon has struck and I can smell singed hair. But the opponent is a giant crab, presumably hairless...
In response to Gughunter
A message indicates that I have pierced the opponent's palm. But the opponent is a giant rat, and the weapon is a war hammer.

Hey, it's possible... most warhammers have a claw or spike as one end of the hammer's head, and many also have a spike capping the shaft. The part I'd be questioning is how, in the midst of battle, did you manage to pierce the opponent's palm... was he or she some kind of karateka who failed an elaborate parry? I'm trying to picture a sequence of maneuvers that could possibly end with someone's "palm" being pierced.... I'm an imaginative person, but it's not easy.

In response to Gughunter
On 6/10/01 7:16 am Gughunter wrote:
A message indicates that my magic fire weapon has struck and I can smell singed hair. But the opponent is a giant crab, presumably hairless...

Maybe the crab was self conscious and wore a toupee?
In response to Shadowdarke
Or maybe the hair wasn't the crab's at all... exactly what sort of a crab was it?

On 6/10/01 9:13 am Shadowdarke wrote:

Maybe the crab was self conscious and wore a toupee?
In response to LexyBitch
Perhaps the giant rat was holding out a hand in greeting, but the warhammer wielding thug thought he was trying to attack, so whacked his palm in an attempt to get it away from him.

Hey, it's possible... most warhammers have a claw or spike as one end of the hammer's head, and many also have a spike capping the shaft. The part I'd be questioning is how, in the midst of battle, did you manage to pierce the opponent's palm... was he or she some kind of karateka who failed an elaborate parry? I'm trying to picture a sequence of maneuvers that could possibly end with someone's "palm" being pierced.... I'm an imaginative person, but it's not easy.
In response to Foomer
"Live long, and prospAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!! CRIPES, MY HAND!!!! WHAT DID YOU DO TO MY HAND?!?!?"

On 6/10/01 10:26 am Foomer wrote:
Perhaps the giant rat was holding out a hand in greeting, but the warhammer wielding thug thought he was trying to attack, so whacked his palm in an attempt to get it away from him.

In response to LexyBitch
On 6/10/01 10:28 am LexyBitch wrote:
"Live long, and prospAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!! CRIPES, MY HAND!!!! WHAT DID YOU DO TO MY HAND?!?!?"

What, was it a Vulcan wererat, or just a really, really ugly Trekkie?
In response to LexyBitch
On 6/10/01 8:19 am LexyBitch wrote:
Hey, it's possible... most warhammers have a claw or spike as one end of the hammer's head, and many also have a spike capping the shaft.

GS warhammers are set up to do both crushing and puncture crits, so I guess they're all presumed to have that spike.

Lately they have been getting better about having the combat messaging make sense for whichever type of creature it's being used on. Check here for some sample GS criticals, and here for some things about GS that just aren't right.

Z
In response to Gughunter
...cut

There is a type of crab with hair. Short ones... Just have to find out the name...