ID:182369

Well, Ive done something Similar on My Members page But as Poll, so i want peoples comments and explanations here.

Ive been wanting to focus on one 'Software Language' and Ive Come to Two Languages 'Jave' and 'C++' to Choose From.

Now, i would like to know which is more useful and Better Overall to Create Applications/Softwares Such as a Basic Text Editor Software(Just an Example).

I have had some previous C++ Experiance, but i Would Still not like to go Too Far into it, Until I know which is best suited.

Check My Poll on My Members Page too :D

-SubZeroChaos
Your poll post also mentions that you're going to keep with Byond, which I think is important in deciding because C++ is a lot like DM.

Java I don't know anything about, but if you compare Hello World codes:

DM:
mob/verb/HelloWorld()
world << "Hello world!"

C++:
int main()
{
cout << "Hello, world!\n";
}

Java:
public class Hello extends Applet {
public void paint(Graphics gc) {
gc.drawString("Hello, world!", 65, 95);
}
}

(I stole the Java from Wikipedia since I don't know it :O)

I don't know how a complicated Java program looks like and I don't feel like looking for one but surely it won't look that similar. That Java "Hello World" may not even be the simplest "Hello World" since Wikipedia likes to make itself look smarter than a high school kid typing on a wiki site. I'd say look for reasons Java people support you but C++ is winning 3:1 on the poll as of eight whole votes (probably should wait for more votes, too)

Edit: And look! I spent too long making this post and now you've replied to the poll comment I made first :O oh well
In response to Cowdude
Lol, Its Alright Ill reply here...

OffTopic: This isnt Really Related to the Actual Topic but instead using mob/verb you Should Have used mob/Login(), wholey because the C++ version doesnt Require any action.

Ok, You have given me things to think about and for that I Thank you and Hopefully More People Reply to This Topic to help me Confirm My Choice :D

Thank You Cowdude !

-SubZeroChaos
It's all horses for courses, really.

Java will provide you with near OS-independence and gets rid of a load of the lower level considerations, definitely a lot less to worry about technically, when you are first starting out. It also provides a very comprehensive standard library to use, saving you having to find libraries to support your application in most simple cases. However, this comes at a price, Java is notably slower than C++ (the anecdotal evidence suggests 3x - a few 100x slower, depends what you are doing with it). It is also a 'best practice' language, it takes the Object-Oriented programming paradigm, and applies it fully, largely irrespective of practical concerns. In some situations, that makes things unbelievably easier, while in others you just end up jumping through hoops. Java GUI stuff is rather slow too, but in my opinion alright to actually write. Java manages to break an interesting trend, too. Usually, the higher level the language, the less code you have to write and the more resource intensive it is. However Java usually requires you to write more lines of code than C++, and is more resource intensive, despite being higher level.

C++ is most definitely a UNIX language. They say with C, it'll let you shoot yourself in the foot if you want, and with C++, it'll let you blow your entire leg off. C++, like C, looks a lot dirtier than Java. It is a language that holds the rather (some might say) stupid belief that you know what you are doing, much like UNIX and Linux does. In my opinion this is it's greatest strength and weakness, because if you do know what you are doing, it's so much quicker (both for the CPU and you) than Java. However if you don't, you will be staring at segfaults a lot. C++ can be written to be OS-portable, but you need to have a bit of a plan, because you are responsible for the lower level technical aspects in C++.

I think in a conclusion, I might suggest Java is easier to pick up, C++ makes you a better Software Engineer. So, Java is the easy option, but C++ is the option I recommend. =P
In response to Stephen001
Hey, Stephen Great Explanation and Thank For Your Time, Now I have read your Post Several Times so That I get it into my Head. While I was Reading I got the Thought that You Actually Somewhat in your Heart Prefer 'Java'? Or that may Just be me thinking Like that but I Understand where your getting it and I have Strong Feeling about C++.

Thank For Your Time and hopefully It Helps Others who have the same Issue as Me.

Thanks again :D (I I try never to miss My Smiley!)

-SubZeroChaos
In response to SubZeroChaos
Funnily enough, I prefer C++, it just requires some planning.
My Major SetBack from C++ is probaly the Libary Finding, it requires too much time and It's Quite Annoying Overall.

-SubZeroChaos
Yeah, that can be a pain, usage is somewhat difficult on Windows too, if the documentation is sparse. Linux fortunately introduces you to enough concepts that you tend to struggle less with the usage, and the package manager will help the finding.
You Seem to be very Fond of Linux, You have that Icon of TEH PENGUIN and You got your Membership Soley for the Linux Guild. It must be something, My Web Server is Also on Linux I switched it from Windows to Linux, Although I do not take care of the server wholey due to the fact that my Uncle is actually Running it and so I've never used a Linux OS!

-SubZeroChaos
Yeah, I'm not particularly a gamer, but I do enjoy developing. Linux permits my OS to be both a functional piece of software that lets me do things (like browsing the web etc) and almost an activity in itself.
Well, its Been Nice Talking to you But I think we are going a Bit Off Topic, So To Prevent This Topic from Being Deleted, We Should stop.

To Talk Further, My Msn is [email protected]

-SubZeroChaos
In response to Cowdude
Your main() function needs to return an integer, fool! >:O
In response to CaptFalcon33035
Even then Depending on the Compiler you still Might not be able to see the Actual Console Display since it would Open the close in a Second So he should either use system("pause"); which i dont reccomend because it isnt Cross Platform so therefore getchar(); would work just Fine, Obviously if He has included the iostream Lib.

Edit: I meant getchar();
-SubZeroChaos
CaptFalcon33035 wrote:
Your main() function needs to return an integer, fool! >:O

It can return void though it is very bad to do so.

George Gough
In response to KodeNerd
This is a matter of what's proper and what isn't!
It was Only an example of the amount of code, It woudn't have made that much difference.

-SubZeroChaos
SubZeroChaos wrote:
Even then Depending on the Compiler you still Might not be able to see the Actual Console Display since it would Open the close in a Second

Since when have any compilers added code to change how your programs run? Some IDEs will keep your program open after it has finished running, but they still work the same if you run them normally.

The proper way to see your output is running it through a command line, like console programs are meant to be.
In response to Smoko
Windows developer newbie syndrome, a lack of understanding for the execution environment.
Most important programming concepts are language independent and once you pick up one language and are good at it moving to another unless it's a really obscure special purpose or novelty one isn't going to be too tough. That said I'd still suggest C++ since it'll force you to deal with more concepts like memory management and give you a real taste of pointers. That and I just don't like Java. It's like a crappy pair of plastic scissors designed to keep you safe at the expense of efficiency.
In response to Theodis
Theodis wrote:
It's like a crappy pair of plastic scissors designed to keep you safe at the expense of efficiency.

I would rather say that some things take an unnecessary amount of work and/or are horribly inefficient even compared to other interpreted languages (Python).

George Gough
Page: 1 2