ID:184842

You really have to stop saying that. But think of the long-term affects. More destruction of the ozone layer. If strategically placed, the bomb could create a giant cloud of dust and smoke about the world, bringing another ice age.

Actually, there is a volcano somewhere in the US that could burst at any moment. They have a lot of sensors and things on it so they can monitor its status, and they estimate that it could cause the next ice age through major debris. They could bomb that. I'm sure a fusion bomb could take that out.

Their are a lot of things they can do with it. You just have to use your brain.
Once again: You don't know what you're talking about. Learn some physics, and then it might make sense.
In response to Jp
Elaborate. Maybe you don't know what I'm talking about.
In response to CaptFalcon33035
1 - What the hell would bombing a volcano do?
2 - Why the hell would a fusion bomb destroy the Earth?
3 - Why do you seem to be equating 'the next ice age' with 'destroy the Earth'?
4 - There's no way in hell that a volcanic eruption will cause 'the next ice age'. It would have to be a lot of volcanos going off at roughly the same period in time. There wasn't any ice age after Krakatoa.
5 - Work out how much energy it would take to destroy the Earth - I'll give you a hint, it would involve taking a mass the size of Earth and accelerating it to the Earth's escape velocity, from rest. That means it would take 0.5 * m * v * v. v is approximately 11 m/s, m is approximately 1*10^23.
In response to Jp
He is watching to much discover channel. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supervolcano_%28documentary%29
In response to Jp
Too much Discovery channel then.

I guess I meant wipe living things off the face of the earth. We can survive an ice age, but for how long? Bombing that particular volcano would upset it and cause it to erupt. Scientists, as I have mentioned, have stated that if this volcano blows up, it will cover the world in debris, blocking out the sunlight.

That would, in turn, cause the earth to get very cold, and an ice age would most definately occur. And, a comet doesn't have to be the size of the earth to destroy it. It can be smaller, but it must make up for it with speed. Not too small, though, I guess.
We could survive an ice age indefinitely.

Scientists, as I have mentioned, have stated that if this volcano blows up, it will cover the world in debris, blocking out the sunlight.

Once again - it didn't happen with Krakatoa. It's unlikely to happen with whatever volcano this is. At least, not for long enough for it to precipitate an ice age.

And, a comet doesn't have to be the size of the earth to destroy it. It can be smaller, but it must make up for it with speed. Not too small, though, I guess.

Learn physics.

The energy required to destroy the Earth is the energy required to take every miniscule particle on the Earth and accelerate it to escape velocity - The Earth's escape velocity is non=relativistic, so using Newton will do.

Kinetic energy = 0.5 * mass * velocity * velocity. velocity = 11 m/s, as that's the escape velocity of Earth. mass = the mass of Earth, which is about 1 * 10^23 kilograms, IIRC. Result? A crapload of energy.

It is essentially impossible for an asteroid (Comets are entirely different, and would cause even less problems) to destroy the Earth. Cause massive problems, yes. Wipe out humanity, yes. Cause a mass extinction, yes. But destroy the Earth? No. That's pretty difficult.

And the original statement that I attacked was that using a fusion bomb would destroy the Earth. It clearly wouldn't.
In response to Jp
You don't consider wiping all life off the face of the earth destroying the earth? What is it then? Just some stupid rock in orbit around the sun.

And what is so special about this Krakatoa you keep mentioning? You know nothing of the volcano I speak, so are you really qualified to make such a statement? They are different, in different geographical locations, and are under different conditions.
CaptFalcon33035 wrote:
And what is so special about this Krakatoa you keep mentioning?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krakatoa

"The 1883 eruption ejected more than six cubic miles (25 cubic kilometres) of rock, ash, and pumice [1], and generated the loudest sound ever historically reported — the cataclysmic explosion was distinctly heard as far away as Perth in Australia (approx. 3100 km/1900 mi), and the island of Rodrigues near Mauritius (approx. 4800 km/3000 mi)."

Now that's impressive.
No, I don't consider destroying all life (Which wouldn't happen. Even if it was a really, really big asteroid - say, Ceres - travelling really fast, there's no way it could kill off every bacterium on Earth) destroying the Earth. Why would I?
In response to Jp
I would. Anyway, maybe the effects don't kill it as soon as it comes into contact. It would definately clear out forestry, maybe cover the earth in debris, I dunno.

Oh yeah. What if the asterdoid was smaller than the earth, but had highly combustible and explosive material? Would it destroy the earth, in your opinion of what destroying the earth would be?
CaptFalcon33035 wrote:
I would. Anyway, maybe the effects don't kill it as soon as it comes into contact. It would definately clear out forestry, maybe cover the earth in debris, I dunno.

Oh yeah. What if the asterdoid was smaller than the earth, but had combustible material? Would it destroy the earth, in your opinion of what destroying the earth would be?

Have you ever took a physics class?

What would I consider destroying the earth to be? Well the sun expanding would give a good view of it...

~~TalionKnight
In response to Talion Knight
Um.. a giant red ball? From what I know, if a star were to expand (as the larger ones are closer to red and the smaller ones closer to white), it would also get cooler than it currently is. But do they grow or shrink?

I'm only going into chemistry next year. I chose an elective for European History. So, I'll have to wait for 11th to take physics. I guess I could take an online course.

How's algebra 2 anyway? I didn't do too great in geometry, but I got a 4.0 in Algrebra, 8th grade. Some people say that algebra is for some, geometry for others. I dunno.

I asked to see if a highly combustible asteroid somewhat smaller than the earth causing a great impact on the surface would destroy the earth or not. Possibilities seem endless to me. But, instead of answering my question, you simply say "Have you ever taken a physics class?"

CaptFalcon33035 wrote:
Um.. a giant red ball? From what I know, if a star were to expand (as the larger ones are closer to red and the smaller ones closer to white), it would also get cooler than it currently is. But do they grow or shrink?

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the big problem with the sun expanding is that it would eventually send the earth crashing into it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/End_of_planet_Earth
You asked what my view of destroying the earth would be - I replied stating that the sun expanding would give a nice view of it, as in that my view of the world being destroyed would be it being completely anhilated.

As for the physics question, you stated earlier that a certain bomb could blow up the planet...

~~TalionKnight
In response to Sarm
Sarm wrote:
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the big problem with the sun expanding is that it would eventually send the earth crashing into it.

Yep,that's what would happen. As the sun expands it's gravity will become stronger and suck planet earth into it, let's face it, crashing into a nuclear inferno would be considered the end of the earth

~~TalionKnight
The sun's gravity does not increase as it expands. For the gravity to inrease, the mass would have to increase, and the expanding is actually caused in part by the opposite of that; the gravity is no longer sufficient to hold the matter as tight as it currently does.
In response to Loduwijk
What happens to the matter? Is it released as energy becuase of E=mc^2?
In response to Loduwijk
Loduwijk wrote:
The sun's gravity does not increase as it expands. For the gravity to inrease, the mass would have to increase, and the expanding is actually caused in part by the opposite of that; the gravity is no longer sufficient to hold the matter as tight as it currently does.

hmm, it seems I was misinformed on the subject,thanks for the clear-up =)

~~TalionKnight
That's fine, you know at least more than most people about astrophysics if you even mention solar expansion, as most people don't know or care what happens outside of our tiny planet.

For example, my sister doesn't understand the concept of orbiting and, no matter how much I say otherwise, thinks objects staying in space is due to some magical effect whereby gravity ceases to exist outside the atmosphere.

Either way, you were right in a way about the sun sucking our planet in. If the sun expands more than 1 AU in radius then its atmospheric preassure would decay Earth's orbit. Of course, by that point the planet would be a charred rock, despite the sun being cooler at such a stage, and much of what makes up our planet would be gone as our atmosphere blends with the sun's atmosphere, the water all evaporates and joins it (well, technically it would already be part of the atmosphere before then since the sun doesn't change instantly from one form to another), and everything else with a low enough boiling point is lost as well into the starry expanse.

Whatever happens, don't forget to bust out the marshmallows, chocolate bars and graham crackers, as it's going to make for one heck of a smore season.
Page: 1 2 3