We are 5 days away from the 1 year anniversary of this idea.
This idea is one of the best I've heard for improving general player satisfaction across all of BYOND.

Old games that were made in the days when BYOND could only run at 10 fps would benefit the most because most of the chunky feeling would go away.
+1

It would be awesome, and it's been a while since Lummox mentioned it.
It's already on the short list for 511 as shown here
http://www.byond.com/forum/?post=2080426
I'm betting on it getting pruned. Epoch's release has pretty much demonstrated that there's a mountain of optimization work needed for the engine to run reliably at 30+ fps on mid and low power machines.

If I had better tools for peeling back what's going on at the GPU level, I'd be able to give better info, but we're seeing 20 or less FPS on APUs and Integrated graphics devices with relatively simple games.
There's always PIX for looking at what's going on with the DirectX calls; I'm not sure how helpful that would be but you might see a pattern that escapes me.

If I do prune the client speed thing, the most likely outcome is that I'll include the client rate functionality in the language and the networking, but leave it undocumented until it's actually usable.
Lummox JR resolved issue with message:
You can now set client.fps or client.tick_lag (they're aliases for the same value) to give a client a tick speed separate from the server. For instance you can let the server have a default FPS of 10, but the client can have a higher FPS of 40.

For games that use pixel movement, a new concept called "pixel gliding" has been introduced to smooth out step_x/y changes when using a higher frame rate than the server.
IT'S HAPPENING
Page: 1 2 3 4