ID:186181

(Not mine, btw)

Slashdot Article: "Inevitably, Mac OS X for x86 has been hacked to run on a non-Apple PC. Is this the beginning of the fulfillment of the Dvorak prophecy?" RetrogradeMotion also writes "The OSx86 Project has posted a how-to guide telling how to run OS X on any Windows or Linux-based PC using VMWare."

-----

Looks real this time... I'm not... downloading a torrent... or anything... right now... >_>

~Kujila
the key point you mentioned is 'using VMware'. since VMware is capable of running OSs on different platforms, it is not surprising to see this.

what would be more interesting is to see Mac OS X running *natively* on an intel/amd processor.
In response to digitalmouse
You can do that as well, reports say =)

http://www.xplodenet.com/

~Kujila
Kujila wrote:
downloading a torrent... or anything... <font size=-2>right now</font>...

And it's people like you who will probably force them to include draconian measures like Microsoft-style activation in the final product. Thanks.
In response to Mike H
True, but apple really shouldn't force you to buy thier hardware to use thier OS. Although I can't make them make OSX for "IBM" compatiable computers, it would be nice(I quoted that because a lot of people are now saying Intel compatiable, which assumes that 99% of people use Intel processors.)

I think it could do a lot for the OS if it would run on most PCs. I, for one, would probably buy the Mac OS if I could run it on MY computer.

I like building MY own computer. Not having them do it for me, and then charging me out the wang for it(So they arn't so bad about it anymore, but still costs more than building your own).
In response to Scoobert
Soon it's not only going to be hardware. On there next OS you can only use Apple-Approved software on the Macs. Sucks for Mac users.
In response to Scoobert
Scoobert wrote:
True, but apple really shouldn't force you to buy thier hardware to use thier OS.

I think it could do a lot for the OS if it would run on most PCs. I, for one, would probably buy the Mac OS if I could run it on MY computer.

The fallacy here is the assumption that Microsoft would allow Apple to stay in business as a direct competitor. Apple's a pretty sizable company with a lot of cash reserves in the bank, but they are nowhere near big enough to stand up to the 8,000 ton gorilla in the PC OS market. If they ever became a direct competitor to Microsoft, MS would stomp them into oblivion before you can say "choice in commercial operating systems." They did it to OS/2, BeOS (which was hardly a blip on the radar), and they'll do it to OS X if it ever comes to that. If Microsoft even just pulled Office for OS X, that would be a crippling blow to the entire Mac platform. I think Apple knows this and is too smart to upset with the behemoth.

Companies like Dell get deep discounts on Windows for selling their machines only with Windows. If Apple allowed Dell to sell their machines with OS X, a couple of things would happen:

(1) Microsoft would pull Dell's deal on Windows, screwing them over. In all likelihood the mere threat of this would prevent Dell from ever considering OS X (despite Michael Dell's recent comments on the matter).

or (2) Everyone would buy cheaper Dells to run OS X because Macs are "too expensive." Apple loses its hardware revenue, bleeds cash out the wazoo as it isn't setup to be a software company, and the last 2 decades of predicting Apple's death finally becomes a reality.

Either scenario is a bad thing for Apple, and is therefore unlikely to happen. They are a hardware company first and foremost, and use good software to sell that hardware. It's a total package - always has been and always will be.

I like building MY own computer. Not having them do it for me, and then charging me out the wang for it(So they arn't so bad about it anymore, but still costs more than building your own).

I can certainly understand this. I've built every PC I've had in the last 10 years. A lot of blood, sweat and tears went into that, including sometimes a lot of frustration. It's just never gonna happen with the Mac. A Mac is not just an operating system, it's a whole computer. And despite my technical inclinations, I've found it quite nice not having to worry about all that stuff with my Macs. Just pick a configuration, buy it, and it works (except when you load the latest operating system on it, in which case it crashes and burns, stupid Apple sucks!).

I've had plenty of opportunity to tinker, swapping out the optical drive, adding extra hard drives, memory, and a SATA controller to my desktop Mac. I upgraded the CPU on my oldest Mac, which should get easier and cheaper once they go Intel. And I've also replaced the hard drive in my iBook, which was by far the most involved procedure I've done with any computer equipment.

The bottom line is that if you want to build a machine from scratch, then Mac OS X is not for you. As a consumer, you have a choice: buy a Mac to use OS X, or build your own computer and use Windows/Linux/whatever. Just like in gaming consoles, you can either buy a GameCube to play GameCube games, or you can buy a PS2 to play PS2 games. You can't have both in one machine - it's a choice with tradeoffs. I don't see that changing anytime soon.
In response to Popisfizzy
Popisfizzy wrote:
Soon it's not only going to be hardware. On there next OS you can only use Apple-Approved software on the Macs. Sucks for Mac users.

FUD. Proof? You work at Apple?

This would completely defy all logic, as it would drive the value of using a Mac down to nil. Yeah, people are really gonna buy that. Sounds like a good way to throw a huge going out of business party.
In response to Mike H
FUD? No, I don't have any hard proof. I heard it somewhere, but I forget where now.
Popisfizzy wrote:
FUD? No, I don't have any hard proof. I heard it somewhere, but I forget where now.

Well, you're trying to instill Fear in mac users. As well as Uncertainty, which even you have about what you heard. There's a bunch of Doubt there too. :P
In response to Jon88
I know I heard that. I just can't remeber where. But I think it was a rumor, that hasn't been confirmed or denied by Apple yet.
Popisfizzy wrote:
FUD?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FUD
Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt. It's what the proponents of one product use to bash its competitors. FUD is usually spread in the form of a rumor which is either patently false, or taken completely out of context. It may be based on small tidbits of fact, lending it apparent credence. Mac zealots like to spread FUD about Microsoft and Linux, Microsoft people like to spread FUD about Macs and Linux, and Linux people like to spread FUD about freedom and commercial software.

Let me give a few examples:

Microsoft Windows Vista will require a monthly subscription of $49.95 to use. If the subscription expires, it will erase all data and refuse to boot.

BYOND 4.0 will only be available for use by BYOND Members.

The Toyota Prius hybrid car will only go about 70 miles on a single charge.

New TCPA chips in future PCs sold by all major manufacturers will prevent any non-Microsoft operating system -- including Linux -- from running.

Linux only runs in text mode.

No, I don't have any hard proof. I heard it somewhere, but I forget where now.

Right, what you heard was FUD. It was wild conjecture based on recent news that Apple's Intel developer machines have a TCPA chip (Trusted Computing something something) which is utilized so OS X can make sure that it is running on a Mac and not any old Intel machine. This is no different from the fact that currently OS X only runs on PowerPC Macs and not any Intel machine. There's no reason to expect that Apple would use the chip for anything but that, but the conspiracy theorists took that little tidbit of fact and ran with it, to envision the worst case scenario, passing conjecture off as "fact." People who like Macs (and were gullible enough to believe it) got paranoid, and people who dislike them used it as ammunition against their perceived opponent.

Bottom line, don't believe everything you read on the internet. Question everything that doesn't come from an authoritative source, and then question the authority of your "good" sources. The internet has accelerated the rumor mill in all facets of life to a frenzied pace. Well, that's what I heard.
In response to Mike H
1: I didn't here it on the internet. But I forget where I heard it.

2: http://developer.byond.com/forum/ index.cgi?action=message_read&id=381815&forum=14&view=0
In response to Mike H
Mike H wrote:
Let me give a few examples:

New TCPA chips in future PCs sold by all major manufacturers will prevent any non-Microsoft operating system -- including Linux -- from running.

But that one's true! :P
In response to Mike H
"It has been widely reported all over the Internet that it is extremely easy to get the Intel port of OS X to run on regualar PC boxes. Some of the hackers are running the tweaked version of the operating system on their PCs natively."

Slashdot : http://apple.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/08/12/ 207217&tid=179&tid=118

~Kujila
In response to Kujila
Kujila wrote:
"It has been widely reported all over the Internet that it is extremely easy to get the Intel port of OS X to run on regualar PC boxes. Some of the hackers are running the tweaked version of the operating system on their PCs natively."

Slashdot : http://apple.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/08/12/ 207217&tid=179&tid=118

~Kujila

Heh. Slashdot. The place where the editors don't even read their own site. Heck, sometimes they don't even read the stories they edit and post duplicates of them, sometimes even on the same day. :P I'd even be more likely to take a Fox article at face value.
In response to Jon88
lol @ you being liberal

[EDIT]

Also, don't worry, this is all over the web now, not just at /. =)

~Kujila
In response to Kujila
Kujila wrote:
lol @ you being liberal

[EDIT]

Also, don't worry, this is all over the web now, not just at /. =)

~Kujila

Liberal? How so?
In response to Jon88
Fox statement you made ^^

~Kujila
Page: 1 2