ID:193261

These are recent movies I haven't seen, but based on the reviews, I plan to rent them if I ever see them at the video store. Given the crappy selection at the two video stores near me, that's by no means a sure thing. But at least I have a list now.

Training Day
Black Hawk Down
From Hell
The Others
Ocean's Eleven
Rat Race
Mulholland Drive
Monsters, Inc.
Monkeybone
What about Crossroads?

Gughunter wrote:
These are recent movies I haven't seen, but based on the reviews, I plan to rent them if I ever see them at the video store. Given the crappy selection at the two video stores near me, that's by no means a sure thing. But at least I have a list now.

Training Day
Black Hawk Down
From Hell
The Others
Ocean's Eleven
Rat Race
Mulholland Drive
Monsters, Inc.
Monkeybone
In response to Creek
Creek wrote:
What about Crossroads?

He wants to see GOOD movies.
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:
He wants to see GOOD movies.

lol... quick response!! Seriously though, I've been wanting to see Rat Race myself. I think it's out on vhs isn't it?
In response to Creek
Creek wrote:
lol... quick response!! Seriously though, I've been wanting to see Rat Race myself. I think it's out on vhs isn't it?

Yes it is, it's a pretty good movie.
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:
Yes it is, it's a pretty good movie.

Heh. Seth Green rocks :)
Gughunter wrote:
Mulholland Drive
Black Hawk Down
Monsters, Inc.

Of your list, these are the three that I've seen, and I'd recommend them in this order. I'm a huge fan of Pixar, but Monsters Inc is the least interesting of their films for an adult, while Mulholland Drive is an unforgettable experience and Black Hawk Down, I hate to say given who financed it, is an incredible war movie as long as you ignore the complete fabrication of Things That Make The Other Guy Evil and just focus on it as a pretty accurate modern military procedural.
Training Day
A very intense movie. Based on the recent abuses with LAPD's Crash Rampart unit, may not be too far fetched.

Black Hawk Down
A graphic depiction of war at its "finest". Does a great job of depicting the human cost of conflict and shadowing the internal power struggles endemic to such events (IE poor v. warlords, politicians v. generals, rangers v. delta, enlisted v. officers). Interestingly enough, the movie is surprisingly clear of moralizing, though it is clearly implied that the soldiers are trying to do "the right thing." (Compare the captured armsman's remarks about the situation, however.)

-James