ID:194300

I've been sitting here waiting for over a week, and my code still hasn't added anything to itself. What's wrong with it?
On 6/11/01 3:23 pm Leftley wrote:
I've been sitting here waiting for over a week, and my code still hasn't added anything to itself. What's wrong with it?

Your sentient processor is probably on the fritz. Feel free to take it to any number of computer retailers once that technology becomes a reality.
Silly boy. Code doesn't write itself... what do you think other people are for?

Did you forget to #define SKYNET ?
All you really have to do is produce an infinate number of random bits on an infinate number of computers until one of them spontaneously produces the Ultimate Game.

Easy right? :)
In response to Shadowdarke
On 6/11/01 8:05 pm Shadowdarke wrote:
All you really have to do is produce an infinate number of random bits on an infinate number of computers until one of them spontaneously produces the Ultimate Game.

Actually I'd like to do that and save every combination on an infinitly large hard drive. Then I'd like to send that hard drive to the U.S. copyright office.

Then I'll be able to sue anyone who creates anything on the computer. Put THAT in your pipe and smoke it, Mr. Gates!!
In response to Skysaw
On 6/11/01 8:08 pm Skysaw wrote:

Actually I'd like to do that and save every combination on an infinitly large hard drive. Then I'd like to send that hard drive to the U.S. copyright office.

Then I'll be able to sue anyone who creates anything on the computer. Put THAT in your pipe and smoke it, Mr. Gates!!

Sorry--copyrights have been copyrighted by Microsoft. Now you have to pay a hefty royalty anytime you want to copyright or patent anything.
In response to Leftley
Sorry--copyrights have been copyrighted by Microsoft. Now you have to pay a hefty royalty anytime you want to copyright or patent anything.

I guess the inventor of LZW compression works for Microsoft, then.
In response to Spuzzum
You know what's weird? If you were to compress a file of infinite size, its size would still be infinite.

On 6/11/01 9:25 pm Spuzzum wrote:

In response to LexyBitch
This is true, but it would be a smaller infinite number. Of course we may be able to invent infinite compression. If it's possible at all, then the program would be self-written by our first process, so we're in business!

On 6/11/01 10:20 pm LexyBitch wrote:
You know what's weird? If you were to compress a file of infinite size, its size would still be infinite.

In response to LexyBitch
On 6/11/01 10:20 pm LexyBitch wrote:

yes but you could fit it on a smaller disk!
In response to LexyBitch

Unless you were really lucky and could compress it to "e" or something... it'd still take a while to re-inflate it, though.
In response to Skysaw
On 6/11/01 11:03 pm Skysaw wrote:
This is true, but it would be a smaller infinite number. Of course we may be able to invent infinite compression. If it's possible at all, then the program would be self-written by our first process, so we're in business!

I've done it! I have infinately compressed all possible code into a single it of code, based on the same theory's as Schroedinger's cat. As long as we do not observe The Bit, it contains infinate possibility.

The decompression will be a bit tricky though... I know the code is somewhere in The Bit, but if I look at The Bit to locate the code, It will become a plain old bit. :(

*sigh* I should have used "copy to archive" instead of "move to archive" when I compressed it.
In response to Shadowdarke

yes but who is going to cheack the computers for the perfict game? wont this take longer than actually writeing the code? and if each computer has an infinate number of bits and they are all randomly filled then wont EVERYone of the computers have the same game on it somewhere? so who is going to took and test for the game? and if you have it so computers recognise the game.. wont they already know what the game is?

the only thing i can think of would be to have computers split these bits one by one and wait till something functions properly then give you the code. like take the first 100000 billion bits and then see if it is a non corupt program.. if not then take a bit off the top if it gose donw to nothing without being non corupt the it takes on bit off the bottom and starts over.if it then gose down to nothing by takeing bits off the bottom then start over and add a bit to the top till it doubles. if it doubles then start over but also take one bit off the bottom. well this is a longer and more complex then just haveing an ifinite number of random bits but it is the only logical way of sorting throght the bits to find anything of value..
In response to jobe
the only thing i can think of would be to have computers split these bits one by one and wait till something functions properly then give you the code. like take the first 100000 billion bits and then see if it is a non corupt program.. if not then take a bit off the top if it gose donw to nothing without being non corupt the it takes on bit off the bottom and starts over.if it then gose down to nothing by takeing bits off the bottom then start over and add a bit to the top till it doubles. if it doubles then start over but also take one bit off the bottom. well this is a longer and more complex then just haveing an ifinite number of random bits but it is the only logical way of sorting throght the bits to find anything of value..

I think you missed the point, Jobe. It's called a "joke". ;-)
In response to Spuzzum
On 6/12/01 2:08 pm Spuzzum wrote:

I think you missed the point, Jobe. It's called a "joke". ;-)

what!?!? i felt like thinking of a way to cort throgh infinity... geez...
In response to jobe

Note that I used a winking smiley. ;-)
In response to Spuzzum
On 6/12/01 2:11 pm Spuzzum wrote:

Note that I used a winking smiley. ;-)

oh ok..