ID:2047526

(See the best response by PJB3005.)
I'm not sure if the Gods in the heavens just decided to fuck my day just now or I just might've made a huge a mistake.

Okay I follow a usual routine using Dropbox, where whenever I want to update and host the game, i delete the rsc and compile for a new one(because some reason when I compile without deleting, it doesn't update the rsc realtime.) This time I deleted the rsc, and I got a weird error, I wish I could've screenshotted it before frantically restarting my computer- but it had numbers and letters before the actual number and not the usual cliche format for runtime errors.

Ontop of that, it kept saying my rsc was locked although all my dreamseeker engines were closed and I told my host to close the server. I restarted my computer directly after noticing nothing was working- when I log back on. My entire source looks screwed, DM files are unchecked, the .dme file doesn't look the same- and when I compile it cannot read any of my .ogg files or .dmi's

I'm alittle worried right now, can someone help me?
It's almost always a bad idea to use Dropbox with code. Especially if multiple people or computers are touching the files.

https://www.dropbox.com/en/help/11 might be able to help.
Gitlab.
What is that?
In response to Super Saiyan X
Super Saiyan X wrote:
It's almost always a bad idea to use Dropbox with code. Especially if multiple people or computers are touching the files.

https://www.dropbox.com/en/help/11 might be able to help.

It was only me touching the files, I deleted the rsc and restarted Dream Maker to compile and I guess thats when the mayhem started.
In response to HaxRp
Best response
GitLab is a website for hosting Git repositories. Some other popular websites are GitHub (GitHub is actually more popular) and BitBucket.

Basically, what GitLab (or Git repositories in general) allow you to do, is manage your source code better. They are essential for any programmer doing anything but making a really quick test project or concept or something.

The general concept is that you can commit file changes into the repo's history, and then if you happen to screw up you can fix it. You have branches and stuff to make it easy to work together, ...

Git is by default a CLI (command line only) utility, but there are other programs to give it an interface.
Here's a couple:
  • TortoiseGit (Has nice Windows Explorer integration, UI is a mess of different windows though last I tried it.
  • SourceTree (Haven't tried SourceTree myself)
  • GitHub Desktop (Was crap last time I tried it, probably still is)
  • SmartGit (I personally use it when I don't use the CLI directly, free if you're using it non-commercially)
The main difference between Gitlab and Github is that Gitlab doesn't force you to be open source.
Gitlab has it's downsides.
When PJB's branch of SS13 (/vg/) moved to gitlab temporarily they were severely trolled by our (/tg/) branch's host MSO.

because gitlab Merge Requests can be reopened by the person who made the MR, seemingly forever.

He just kept reopening it and reopening it.
That's really only a slight concern.

The bigger issue was the fact that GitLab broke (completely) under our repo's size, but I think they should've fixed that now.
The bigger issue was the fact that GitLab broke (completely) under our repo's size, but I think they should've fixed that now.

I've been using gitlab for about a year now. It's gotten steadily more stable and had less and less downtime. It's still a relatively new site, though and started out on a shoestring budget, but as user adoption has increased they've managed to improve the service a lot.
I like Bitbucket; gives me free private repos because I have an edu email. Their SourceTree application (which works with any repo) is fantastic for users who don't want to fiddle with Git on the command line.
In response to CrimsonVision
CrimsonVision wrote:
When PJB's branch of SS13 (/vg/) moved to gitlab temporarily they were severely trolled by our (/tg/) branch's host MSO.

because gitlab Merge Requests can be reopened by the person who made the MR, seemingly forever.

https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab-ce/issues/2432

I trolled gitlab too.

To make my point, this issue will automatically be re-opened if closed.

That script is still running.
In response to MrStonedOne
MrStonedOne wrote:
CrimsonVision wrote:

https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab-ce/issues/2432

I trolled gitlab too.

To make my point, this issue will automatically be re-opened if closed.

That script is still running.

You evil evil person! I see the point though.
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
The main difference between Gitlab and Github is that Gitlab doesn't force you to be open source.

You can have private repos on Github...
In response to Soldierman
Yes and it costs you money, GitLab has free private repos.
In response to Soldierman
Soldierman wrote:
Ter13 wrote:

You can have private repos on Github...

As PJB3005 said, you can, they're paid.

Unless you're a student - https://education.github.com/pack